• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why?
I'm not sure about the why, but I know that there is terrain that I thoroughly enjoy today that terrified me 10 years ago.

Think about it, when we learn on the bunny hill, that looks steep.
When we move on to blue squares, that seems really steep....
And so on...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Assuming you're talking about Whitefish, here's the profile for Heep Steep... tops out at about 33 degrees.

View attachment 38502
My "conquered" run is No Name, especially the last pitch. It's enough. I have a firm no Double Blacks rule that I have no desire to change at this stage of my life. In fact, there are runs that I did 5-10 years back that I will never attempt again. The Nose, and the left exit of Whitey's being on that list. (The latter I didn't realize the pitch until the new chair went in. It's no longer fluff now that everyone can see it, which makes it a whole new kettle of fish.)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Why?
I'm not sure about the why, but I know that there is terrain that I thoroughly enjoy today that terrified me 10 years ago.

Think about it, when we learn on the bunny hill, that looks steep.
When we move on to blue squares, that seems really steep....
And so on...

Earlier this season, skiing King for the first time this season. I told a friend, "I don't know why I turned so hard at the entrance (I ended up falling and sliding all the way down) - it's not even steep!" She looked at me. "You're doing pretty well if you don't think King is steep!"

Also, taking a "short cut" through the woods, starting with a steepish drop off. I remember when I had to pause and collect myself before taking that 20 or 30 foot "steep" on natural snow. Survival skiing. Now it's just whatever, though the shadow of the memory of fear is still there.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
My "conquered" run is No Name, especially the last pitch. It's enough. I have a firm no Double Blacks rule that I have no desire to change at this stage of my life. In fact, there are runs that I did 5-10 years back that I will never attempt again. The Nose, and the left exit of Whitey's being on that list. (The latter I didn't realize the pitch until the new chair went in. It's no longer fluff now that everyone can see it, which makes it a whole new kettle of fish.)

No Name is fun. Definitely steeper than Heap Steep. A lot of pitches are dependent I conditions of course. Can I survive and get down some gnarly terrain if I had to? Sure, but it's probably not proper skiing (too much side slipping etc) and I don't seek them out, at least not yet. There's a ton more terrain and actual what people in this thread would consider steeps that I'd tackle more often (double blacks) if it were just a bit more open. The thick trees, cliff bands and other features have to come into play...

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The funny feeling in my tummy at that weightless portion of the turn.
Steve ogwink nailed the answer for me.

I do think there are a lot of other factors that make steep skiing fun, most discussed above.

Here's another I don't believe was mentioned: the rarity and exclusivity of being able to ski the steepest runs.

We watch some runs and lines all season as they fill in and are hopefully eventually skiable and opened. Some years, like possibly this year, they will sadly never open. Try again next year, with greater sacrifices to Ullr. :hail:

Or, they open briefly, and your friends happen to be there and ski them without you, and you hear about it for weeks. :eek:

Maybe the anticipation is a big part of the fun for some steep skiing?

I thought of this skiing greens with our kiddos last weekend at Copper. I heard the boom of control work a mountain away and my heart couldn't help but to race.

Where are they working? West Copper Bowl? When will it open? Are they working on Tucker Mtn yet?

I'll just have to keep waiting, watching and anticipating something I love but can't have.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have a Pavlovian response to those booms. I always grin a little.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's what I skied today.

The choke was only a meter wide, so I had to get on my hip and try to sneak my skis thru the rocks.
IMG_20180201_103119808.jpg

This is where my ski came off, because I hit my tail on the rock.

IMG_20180201_103321961.jpg

IMG_20180201_111210164.jpg

The couloir I skied is right in the middle of the last picture, about 50 degrees measured below the choke.

Good powder though.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
FKNA that is awesome Rod.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Here's what I skied today.

The choke was only a meter wide, so I had to get on my hip and try to sneak my skis thru the rocks. View attachment 38553

This is where my ski came off, because I hit my tail on the rock.

View attachment 38554
View attachment 38555

The couloir I skied is right in the middle of the last picture, about 50 degrees measured below the choke.

Good powder though.

This guy knows what's up. Nice line!!!
Donner?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I always notice how steep it seems whenever I visit anywhere west of the prairies after skiing in Ontario Canada for a long time. Even the double blacks (and some blacks) on the trail map seem steep. Then, after three days of skiing them, they don't seem steep at all to me any more. After a week of skiing days, and I'm itching to ski where skiing isn't supposed to be done. I guess it's like wearing those upside-down goggles, or riding a bicycle with the steering reversed. After a while you just establish a new normal.

Summary of reasons for skiing steeps I've gleaned from this thread:
Speed thrills (minority opinion, very few folk seem to be vocalizing this);
Adrenaline rush - very related to speed thrills;
Sense of accomplishment and increase self-esteem by proving your skills to yourself.
Showing off to others how rad you are (nobody stated that, but it is evidenced in the thread- maybe related to bragging rights, which was mentioned).

Did I miss any?

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Thanks @mdf . That's why I love catching air off of rollers and find myself in the trauma park doing jumps (but no tricks).
I don't particularly seek out steeps. I can't say I love steep. I don't find steep any more appealing than some average single black or even blue slope.

But I do like the occasional air. More so if it's unplanned (as long as it's small, with easy soft landings). Truth be told, I prefer rollers & lips than true steeps.

Sponsor

Staff online