• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whos got that mid-summer no skiing depression?

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I hate summer.
Correction: I HATE summer!
Even more, I totally despise summer in Tokyo (which begs the question, why in hell do I spend every summer here? Well, because I use all my vacation time and disposable income skiing.)
Since my ski season effectively ended January 16, I especially hate summer 2018.
I'm actually considering, for the first time in more than 25 years, heading to the 300-meter semi-indoor WRODin suburban Tokyo when it opens, usually in late October.
Sayama indoor skiing.png

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
We were just taking bets on first snowfall today at work. I went with September 15th (you get 2 days on either side).

I think my last day was May 20 something so I'm pretty much all fixed up from the wear and tear of 100 day season. Didn't do any patch skiing this year and at this point all the Tahoe snow is pretty much gone so don't think it's in the summer plans.

I've been playing a ton of golf so that helps with the non winter depression. Picked it up 4-5 years ago and it's finally starting to come together for me. Ended last summer as a 13.5 so hoping to sniff single digit handicap by mid October when the courses close.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I hated summer... until I moved to Colorado. Now I love it.

Skiing and Cycling are two of my main passions.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I've been jones-ing for snow since about May 1st!!
Ya know.... there was a Pugski ski event right about then. Just sayin'.

As for me, I've started obsessively watching Big Sky videos in the past week. The skiing in the Headwaters area looks challenging, but the hike in looks terrifying!

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I'm trying to be more positive the last few years by calling summer my fourth favorite season. Moving to Colorado helped. :) Still solidly my 4th favorite, though. There's nothing I can do in the summer that I can't do in fall or spring with a lot less sweat involved.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My name is JFB and I am a skiing addict. The fact that we are all here reading this speaks volumes right there. I love hiking, backpacking, cycling, etc., but every day I miss skiing. I try not to dwell on it, but the jones starts to get pretty serious by October. So off to backpack again next week.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn't call it depression, but this time of year I start to feel like I'm forgetting how to ski since its been so long! This year especially since my season ended in late January due to injury.:doh:
:philgoat:
I had to live vicariously through my wife and friends as I tagged along on the ski trips. I kept busy with rehabbing my ankle and keeping my strength and conditioning up as best as possible, but I'm pretty much back to normal with my workouts. Being from Texas, I've never had an issue with hot weather once I get out into it and re-condition myself, and I love summer activities, but winter is now by far my favorite season. We've kept busy with fun trips, outdoor concerts, hiking, cookouts, etc. I still love baseball and the Phillies have kept me invested in this season. And for the last month, I've placated my ski addiction by ramping up my gear shopping with the summer sales, and purchased those powder skis for the wife and I. Sky HD for her and Ranger 115 XTi for me! :golfclap: Now, I'll have their tuning and waxing to keep me busy for a little while. So this summer has not been too bad.

Who am I kidding, the other day in another boring corporate meeting, I passed the time daydreaming of standing at the top of Skyeburst just about ready to hit it with the new Rangers while a major storm is just puking snow...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya know.... there was a Pugski ski event right about then. Just sayin'.

As for me, I've started obsessively watching Big Sky videos in the past week. The skiing in the Headwaters area looks challenging, but the hike in looks terrifying!

Yeah... and I had just gotten back from Colorado skiing 2 weeks before that... couldn't find my way back to taking more time off of work... but I was tempted.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
No depression here. Just drove my Audi S8 (ideal ski car) for the first time in a month after finally getting the timing sorted out. The timing belt had skipped a tooth or two after the serpentine belt shredded and some of it got behind the timing covers.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I'm trying to be more positive the last few years by calling summer my fourth favorite season. Moving to Colorado helped. :) Still solidly my 4th favorite, though. There's nothing I can do in the summer that I can't do in fall or spring with a lot less sweat involved.

Yeah, they heat has been absurd in the front range but going higher up has helped but still. Even at 10,000 feet it has been hot. 50's rule for cycling.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Not uncomfortably hot. We've even been running humidifiers in the house.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I'm allergic to summer. (ACHOO!!!) I spend a few minutes almost every day practicing free-dogging in my head. I'm much better there than I am on the snow.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I miss skiing, but I keep myself fairly well distracted with cycling, paddleboarding, adventures, my dog, and work during the summer. I did take a skiing related trip a couple weeks back to go visit my bootfitter and get some work done, I also got to scratch the itch a little bit and fondle a couple of the 2019 skis they had already. I do a lot of ski research and reading/rereading reviews over the summer to try and help too.

Sponsor

Staff online