• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Whos got that mid-summer no skiing depression?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I miss skiing, but thankfully, I have pugski and mountain biking to fill the void.
:D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm dying. It's hot, smoky, and it turns out I only have friends in the winter. :(
The smoke isn't much better here, but is a bit cooler here. Come visit. I'll be your summer friend.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I always miss skiing in the summer. I think hot weather makes we wish for the cold, white stuff that falls from the sky. It doesn't help that I just retired and moved to our mountain cabin which I generally associate with the start of ski season. I booked one ski trip already and have watched Aspen Extreme. Next up ... The Blizzard of Ahs!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe this will make you miss winter a little less...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Maybe this will make you miss winter a little less...

That just makes me want to get out and enjoy the fresh refills. ;) Breck gains a lot of snow through wind.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
i woke up this morning with a smile on my face because it's now August. Pre season football starts tomorrow. I usually get desperate enough by August to watch a preseason game or two.

I have the following widgets on my phone

38213613_10155801571038014_1495747185742970880_n.jpg

Getting me through August like a whisky bottle attached to a string (Father Ted) is that I'll be picking up these in the eastern townships of quebec in less than a month.
38134359_10155802125733014_4355514433519222784_o.jpg

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Emptying the dehumidifier in the storage room is an excuse to visit my skis and occasionally fondle them!

I haven't yet, but usually sometime mid-summer I put on my boots and click into a pair of skis, then stand in the basement awhile. I'll do it this year with the new Ranger powder skis, but I've been leery about putting my right foot into a boot until the doctor says the ankle fracture is fully healed. I'm good to go as of last Friday...

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
I do much of my ski building, footbed making, and preliminary boot fitting during the summer. Keeps me busy, but it only makes me want to take them out for test runs all the more - :( Time to fly to Chile? hahaha.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been playing a ton of golf so that helps with the non winter depression. Picked it up 4-5 years ago and it's finally starting to come together for me. Ended last summer as a 13.5 so hoping to sniff single digit handicap by mid October when the courses close.

That handicap is really impressive. Where do you usually play?

I’m picking up golf after a decade of absence. Northstar was really pleasant yesterday afternoon, but I lost several balls in the creek running along just about every hole and tall grass...anyway, I’m happy if I just get a single decent stroke per hole.

I cannot seem to find a golfing discussion thread on Pugski forum, what’s the deal, @Tricia ? ogwink

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
That handicap is really impressive. Where do you usually play?

I’m picking up golf after a decade of absence. Northstar was really pleasant yesterday afternoon, but I lost several balls in the creek running along just about every hole and tall grass...anyway, I’m happy if I just get a single decent stroke per hole.

I cannot seem to find a golfing discussion thread on Pugski forum, what’s the deal, @Tricia ? ogwink

I play mostly at Northstar, Ponderosa, and Old Brockway. Ponderosa is really good for mid-high handicap golfers since there are really no forced carries or water and it's easy to walk. I just walked 27 there this afternoon. Northstar front 9 is good for all levels but the back 9 can eat you alive if you aren't hitting them straight or your distances are off. Brockway is a really awesome 9 hole course. It's rated in the top ten 9 hole courses in the country every year. It's $30 to walk all you want for twilight so I usually do that. Playing there prime time summer with a cart ads up $$$ quick and then N* is a better deal for sure.

I usually try to hit up the better courses early or late season when they are cheap or I can get out free with an employee. The prices during peak season around here are $150-250 which is too rich for my blood. My favorite courses are
^ Edgewood (SLT)
^ Coyote moon
^ Whitehawk ranch (plumas county)
^ Old greenwood

If your just getting back into golf there are some good clinics around here. My buddy Casey is the assistant pro over at N* and teaches women's clinics on Mondays that sometimes turn into a private lesson since no one else shows up.
https://www.northstarcalifornia.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/golf.aspx?tc_1=5

Tahoe donner has daily drop in clinics that are pretty good also
http://www.tahoedonner.com/amenities/golf/weekly-clinic-schedule/

Garret down at old Brockway is awesome! I've done a few of the $20 bucket of balls and a tune up 15 min lessons from him when things get a little out of whack. I think he does hour lessons for around $75 bucks. He's a super nice guy and has been teaching golf forever and seen it all
https://www.oldbrockway.com/course/instruction

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Start one ;)

Edit: There is one here
Pugski Golf Talk
and here
Pro Golf Majors 2018

Thanks @Tricia ! I must have seen but ignored the thread since I’m a poor any-sport spectator.

@Eric267 tips are so incredibly helpful, thank you for taking the time to share local knowledge. I have never heard of walk all you want rate... fantastic! I cannot explain it but I just find walking with clubs on my back...purely magical. Might just be remnants of past experience...:)

Was looking into Incline Village’s week long level 2 clinic but I’m liking the N* women’s clinic idea even better, I’m excited!