• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where are MTBs going?

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
@Josh Matta , thanks for posting. When I started this thread I was looking forward to your input. My only disappointment is that you took so long :). So really, my question is, are there going to be some good buys on one of these formats this fall? As a 57 yo guy who likes to ride flowy trails but needs to be able to climb and navigate some rocky areas what should I be looking for? Should I be looking for a bargain on a 29er that is going out of style or the newer plus sized 27.5 or even a really nice 26er since nobody seems to want them?

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
In order to know where they're going, let's see where things started (more or less)

1982 Specialized StumpJumper

View attachment 11318

I'll have to snap a picture of it, but I still have an 86/87 Team Stumpjumper with the godawful Cunningham roller cam chainstay brake... :)

I'm primarily a roadie, see my steed pix in the other thread. And, yes, I too buy up nice (but inexpensive) frames and build them up myself. Much more fun that way, and I get some cool stuff w/o spending the big bucks...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The owner of that shop is passionate about all things bikes. He does't care if he sells his least expensive or most expensive bikes, he just cares about biking and making sure his customers are stoked. He sells plenty of value bikes but wont sell junk. He and his wife are true gems.

yep, I am one of those folks who really appreciates my bikes (an skis for that matter) and I'm a a total geek about technology and performance. I clean and lube my bike after every ride BTW. Not many people do that. I dont need all the bike I have but I do appreciate it. I research just about every part on the bike LOL

There's a guy in Boulder..Vecchio's..he's in the same sorta deal. Only for the love of the sport. Great wheel builder too apparently.

Reactions: Ron

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
There's a guy in Boulder..Vecchio's..he's in the same sorta deal. Only for the love of the sport. Great wheel builder too apparently.

Scott, Peter retired and sold Vecchio's. It's still in good hands though and Peter is still wheel building from his 'home shop'. (He's a Campy guy, but I still like him anyway ;))
Yes, it's my favorite bike shop in Boulder!!!

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not sure about wireless. It means you'd need a battery in every component. The new RED group is wireless though. For brakes, I don't think I want brake by wire. My brakes are too important for that.

Have you seen Magura's wireless dropper post?
You make a good point about brakes. You can't really afford a glitch . . . Haven't seen the wireless dropper.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Its funny to me that years ago when I said what was going to happen that everyone was like no way......well here we are...

BTW longer chainstays are only really needed with a slack seat tube, as the seat tubes get steeper chain stay lengths can get shorter and will not affect climbing performance.

What I think we will see.

I still do not think bikes have gotten as long in the front, short in the rear, and as slack in the front yet. I see bike like the Geometron as the geo that will be settled on for every day MTBs eventually.

Frames will be designed around 170-200mm droppers even in smaller sizes.

27.5 plus will be end up being the main wheel size, due to its increased traction on hard surfaces, trail dampening, and the way it helps the suspension iron out small hits.
Agree with all of that except the lengthening geometry.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@Josh Matta , thanks for posting. When I started this thread I was looking forward to your input. My only disappointment is that you took so long :). So really, my question is, are there going to be some good buys on one of these formats this fall? As a 57 yo guy who likes to ride flowy trails but needs to be able to climb and navigate some rocky areas what should I be looking for? Should I be looking for a bargain on a 29er that is going out of style or the newer plus sized 27.5 or even a really nice 26er since nobody seems to want them?

first no the 26er simply because wheels and tires are getting hard to find.

I would say pick a short travel 27.5+ or short travel 29er. short being 5 inches or less in the rear. The nice thing about a 27.5+ is most can easily take 29er wheels well.
The biggest downside to the plus side tires is they lack bite on loose and/or loamy trails and that is pretty much all I ride are trails like that.....but on hardpack trails that most trail centers are 27.5 has tons more grip. So basically 27.5+ for hardpack, or lots of roots and rocks, 29er for climbing speed/more bite in loam, 27.5 most bite in loam, and quickest acceleration. a 27.5 + bike can effectively run all three wheel standards as welll which IMO is something to consider.

Agree with all of that except the lengthening geometry.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Is 27.5+ just a fat 27.5? What is the cutoff for "fat"?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
first no the 26er simply because wheels and tires are getting hard to find[/B].

I would say pick a short travel 27.5+ or short travel 29er. short being 5 inches or less in the rear. The nice thing about a 27.5+ is most can easily take 29er wheels well.
The biggest downside to the plus side tires is they lack bite on loose and/or loamy trails and that is pretty much all I ride are trails like that.....but on hardpack trails that most trail centers are 27.5 has tons more grip. So basically 27.5+ for hardpack, or lots of roots and rocks, 29er for climbing speed/more bite in loam, 27.5 most bite in loam, and quickest acceleration. a 27.5 + bike can effectively run all three wheel standards as welll which IMO is something to consider.

Relative to what, ISO 730mm tires?
ISO 559mm wheels, rims and tires will be available for the next 20+ years... and then some.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
not in anything decent to actually use.

you will be able to find crap for decades to come yes but actual good tread/casing/and good sticky rubber is getting near impossible to find. @epic run a high end 26er and he will vouch for that.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Is 27.5+ just a fat 27.5? What is the cutoff for "fat"?

arguably all terms are just made up but generally plus is considered 2.8 to 3.5 with anything larger being fat. Most are 3.0 exactly though.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
arguably all terms are just made up but generally plus is considered 2.8 to 3.5 with anything larger being fat. Most are 3.0 exactly though.

Thanks!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Why would replaceable batteries be required for electronics? Couldn't they design a small alternator/generator that runs from the hubs and provides the minuscule amount of juice needed for those gadgets? Sure, you'd also need a couple small storage cells near the components themselves, but why not self sufficient?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Why would replaceable batteries be required for electronics? Couldn't they design a small alternator/generator that runs from the hubs and provides the minuscule amount of juice needed for those gadgets? Sure, you'd also need a couple small storage cells near the components themselves, but why not self sufficient?

If you did that it wouldn't really be wireless anymore though, would it?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

a alternator+battery weighs far more than just a battery.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Relative to what, ISO 730mm tires?
ISO 559mm wheels, rims and tires will be available for the next 20+ years... and then some.
Most definitely. I think it would be more accurate to say that 26" wheels/tires are getting scarce in high quality iterations. Walmart shows no signs of relenting, although they've predictably added 27.5 and 29. Good stuff is still out there, but he's right, its the twilight.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
a alternator+battery weighs far more than just a battery.
Technology for both is progressing. I think its just a matter of time before somebody decides to invest the time and money to make one or both possible. Then it will just be a question of how reliable and how much we are willing to spend.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've been thinking about the Bike Quiver vs. One Bike quiver.

Right now, the industry is making the best one bike quivers ever. My local shop has become a Pivot dealer (and we just hosted a Pivot Demo day at Thunder Mountain Bike Park)-I've had the opportunity to ride a 2016 Mach 6, 429 and Pivot Switchblade with both 27.5+ and 29er wheels. Honestly, I can't imagine most riders, even very good ones needing or wanting more bike for most situations than these bikes. Yep, you need to correctly assess your style, and regional demand, but any of these would excel in just about every biking situation. In fact, bikes like this (which every bike manufacturer is making now) make the one bike quiver a much better proposition than a 1 ski quiver.

The only real reasons to build a quiver other than needing a back up bike (an important consideration as extended mechanical problems are part of the biking experience) or just having a passion for multiple bikes (understandable) are the following three reasons:

1. DH-Gravity-Bike Park is part of your biking experience. Do this enough, you'll find a good reason to get a dedicated bike for DH.

2. You are a committed CAT 1 or higher XC racer (or SS division racer). Can't beat a purpose built machine for such a singular purpose.

3. Ride all winter in snowy regions. Fat Bikes are best in the situation they were made for. They're fun other places as well.

If none of the above are part of your game…well, you can get by with everything from a rigid SS to ultra modern dualie with big, wide tires as a single bike.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you did that it wouldn't really be wireless anymore though, would it?
Nikoli Telsa could make it so the juice runs the frame and forks (no wires) undetected to human touch but gets to the devices the same way wireless charging pads charge your phone.

Sponsor

Staff online