• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where are MTBs going?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I've been thinking about the Bike Quiver vs. One Bike quiver.

Right now, the industry is making the best one bike quivers ever. My local shop has become a Pivot dealer (and we just hosted a Pivot Demo day at Thunder Mountain Bike Park)-I've had the opportunity to ride a 2016 Mach 6, 429 and Pivot Switchblade with both 27.5+ and 29er wheels. Honestly, I can't imagine most riders, even very good ones needing or wanting more bike for most situations than these bikes. Yep, you need to correctly assess your style, and regional demand, but any of these would excel in just about every biking situation. In fact, bikes like this (which every bike manufacturer is making now) make the one bike quiver a much better proposition than a 1 ski quiver.

The only real reasons to build a quiver other than needing a back up bike (an important consideration as extended mechanical problems are part of the biking experience) or just having a passion for multiple bikes (understandable) are the following three reasons:

1. DH-Gravity-Bike Park is part of your biking experience. Do this enough, you'll find a good reason to get a dedicated bike for DH.

2. You are a committed CAT 1 or higher XC racer (or SS division racer). Can't beat a purpose built machine for such a singular purpose.

3. Ride all winter in snowy regions. Fat Bikes are best in the situation they were made for. They're fun other places as well.

If none of the above are part of your game…well, you can get by with everything from a rigid SS to ultra modern dualie with big, wide tires as a single bike.

I have currently have the bike Quiver of two.

140 Hardtail SS trail bike

160/140 Full suspension trails bike

they are basically the same Geo with the only real difference being SS vs Gear, and Hardtail vs Full suspension, either could be a quiver of one around here, maybe with gears on the Kona Honzo as riding that everyday with other people becomes a chore.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have currently have the bike Quiver of two.

140 Hardtail SS trail bike

160/140 Full suspension trails bike

they are basically the same Geo with the only real difference being SS vs Gear, and Hardtail vs Full suspension, either could be a quiver of one around here, maybe with gears on the Kona Honzo as riding that everyday with other people becomes a chore.

Yeah, my man Matt up in waterbury loves the Honzo, he just upgraded to the Carbon, I'm pretty sure he's running SS-and he rides it 90% of time in N. VT and races it all over. He's got a pretty swank Evil with an Eleven Six shock and enve wheels for Bike Parking and Enduro racing...

I think my present dream set up would be 1. DH Bike coupled with 2. Honzo 29er Titanium w/ gears-I'd be happy riding those two just about anywhere.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I can imagine a way to make this work. Anybody have 10 million to invest in making it happen?
Thats crazy talk, the ski industry is the only way to turn 10 million into 1 million quickly.

Sponsor

Staff online