• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Number one reason people do not take lessons is money. The second reason is money. The third reason is money.

When it comes to ski lessons, not only are they expensive but they are often not very enjoyable or constructive. Sometimes that is due to the instructors (there are a lot of bad / unqualified instructors out there), other times to the conditions (cold, icy, feet hurt) and other times people do not want to be taken outside their comfort zone and be pushed and perhaps fall. Skiing is also a family/social sport so you may not want to go off on your on to take a lesson.

Egos and misguided perspective regarding ability also seem to get in the way. I keep seeing beginner skiers talking like they are intermediates skiers, intermediate skiers considering themselves advanced and advanced skiers pumping their chest like they are headed to a WC race).

I don't think it has much to do with lessons taking too much time or challenging logistics to make an appointment or lack of instructors.

For me it's value. I am "happy" to pay whatever the price is as long as I feel I get value. I would much rather pay $500 and walk away feeling the instructor was knowledgeable and that the lesson was fun / constructive / safe, than pay $100 and walk away feeling like the instructor had no clue and that the lesson was boring and pointless.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have a friend who instructs. She teaches based on the groups objectives. Some want to improve but while having fun (like what @Nancy Hummel is saying) so she teaches those folks differently from those who want to do drills and be serious. I think that's something more Schools should adopt and market. I read some of the comments above and I wonder if those folks would want a lesson that caters to a family or group of friends more in the sense of a more relaxed fun-focused with guidance?

@Nancy Hummel is this approach more common at your mountain?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd title this thread as
What keeps you from taking (the next) ski lessons?

I have been taking lessons every season for the last 5, but I'll admit there is an activation energy to signing up for another one. I'll 1) recall the previous lesson, 2), how much it cost, 3) whether I actually enjoyed it, 4) what I learned, 5) how much I've practiced what I've learned, and 6) how much the lesson has actually improved my current skiing after the glow wears off. 7) I'll finally sign up for another one when I finally hit bottom and realize I'm not getting any better on my own. I'm currently between stage 5 and 6 from my last lesson.

I'll say some things I've read here or on Epic, or viewed on YouTube, and took to the hill for practice have been as helpful as my lessons.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend who instructs. She teaches based on the groups objectives. Some want to improve but while having fun (like what @Nancy Hummel is saying) so she teaches those folks differently from those who want to do drills and be serious. I think that's something more Schools should adopt and market. I read some of the comments above and I wonder if those folks would want a lesson that caters to a family or group of friends more in the sense of a more relaxed fun-focused with guidance?

@Nancy Hummel is this approach more common at your mountain?

There are many different instructors. I ask every person I ski with the question: What would make your time with me fabulous? I want to know what people want as a starting point. I add more and see how it goes but use their goals as the theme.

Guest Centered Teaching used to be a big PSIA theme. I agree. The guests are buying the lesson and we should give them what they want. Sometimes they cant articulate what they want so we help them!

TS
mister moose

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
Maybe the next time you quote me in another thread you could tag me like this @mister moose to let me know?
The reason I didn't attribute it is I wasn't making it personal. This applies to zillions of skiers, not just you. If I tag you, then it makes it about you.

You're taking "just getting down" a bit too literally. Let me clarify...
"Just getting down" admittedly is a wide swath, and again, it isn't about you. Inherent in the phrase though, whatever the ability level, is the realization that it's not going as well as desired.

I say without ego that I ski well. I get complimented on occasion for my skiing but I refuse to call myself an expert because while I can ski steeps, groomed or not, fly down groomers, carve turns of all shapes and so on I struggle in the moguls. Why? Some of it is technique but mostly I'm out of shape and overweight. I don't advertise that typically because it's embarrassing. Because of those facts I struggle with the physical requirements of skiing moguls.

When I say I have flaws all over my technique I'm talking about things like, maybe I don't always have my foot in the right position (forward or back) at turn initiation, or maybe I tip my skis to initiate the turn but not enough, or my angulation isn't as strong as it should be, or when I get tired I end up in the backseat sometimes, or I get lazy with pole plants.. Etc. and so on.
You may know most of your flaws, but I'll go out on a ledge and say that there are some things going on you haven't connected the cause and effect yet, or some things you aren't aware of. Also, with sufficient technique and good terrain selection, skiing moguls (not fast) can be done with very low cardio.

There is a level of desire that needs to exist to ski more days, to talk about skiing techniques with friends, to watch others ski, to try new things, to take a lesson. It's also perfectly legitimate to opt for more family time, or more soaking up the skiing and plateau for a while.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't appreciate the implication that a quickly typed phrase "just getting down" means I'm satisfied or that I'm not above intermediate.
I'm sorry. It's hard to type out every disclaimer possible. Intermediate in some circles means just under World Cup. I didn't use the word "Expert" as by definition most Experts wouldn't be taking very many lessons. The next level below Expert on most trail signs is Intermediate.

Again, it wasn't in the slightest directed at you. I've never seen you ski. It was a recent and easy phrase to [anonymously] quote and use as an example for a much wider range of skiers. I guess it then it might be one zillionth about you since you are one of the zillions. Suck up that zillionth.

headybrew

surrender to the flow
Skier
Started skiing in SW Michigan and if I ever took a lesson I do not recall maybe got the snowplow maneuver down but nothing past that in lessons in my youth although I advanced to linked parallel turns on greens and blues during that time. 20 years and 2 ski days later I moved to CO in 2014 and have a couple hundred days in 4 seasons here and took a lesson at Loveland this season. Signed up for a weekday advanced group early in the season and as I hoped I was the only person signed up so it was like a private lesson.

The reason I took a lesson is I want to learn to ski better mainly looking to improve my ability in steeps and become more balanced so as I explore the air above the snow I can do so with confidence.

While I feel the lesson did improve my skiing it was due to an attitude adjustment more than technical skiing ability. Practicing drills on your own is the best way to improve and as mentioned above it is easier and cheaper for some of us, myself included, to watch YouTube videos on drills then take those to the mountain to practice on our own. If you're an instructor reading this I apologize for how this post may make you feel.

The things I got from the lesson that I could not get from YouTube was some advice to slow down, pay more attention to my turn shape, and an updated idea of what it means to be a good skier, for those things I am grateful. Was my $85 lesson and $20 tip worth it? Eh, maybe? If the cost was $150 my answer would be no! If money was a concern that would've been my first and last ski lesson. I plan on taking another lesson or two this season even though I am not sure of the value I get from them yet.

The following statements are just like, my opinion man, and shouldn't be taken seriously.
If you're skiing for fun and are already having fun you do not need a lesson.
If you're an adult and just beginning I think lessons are a great idea.
If you're one of the stronger skier's in your group and are content with what you ski you do not need a lesson.
If you're one of the weaker skier's in your group lessons are a good idea regardless if you want to improve or not.
If you ski less than 5 days a year, don't want to ski anything other than corduroy, or ski on different rental gear every trip you do not need a lesson.
If you live in Texas regardless of your perceived skiing ability please take a lesson;)

Reactions: zag

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
brilliant! How does a non-expert know to say, "gee, i think I'm closing my hips too much" :) So true. Good on ya' :thumb:

Not be argumentative, but are they going say that anyway? I’d think most conversations would go along the lines “I have trouble controlling speed on steeper runs”, “I suck at skiing bumps”, etc.

Reactions: Ron

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The reason I didn't attribute it is I wasn't making it personal. This applies to zillions of skiers, not just you. If I tag you, then it makes it about you.

You could have typed up the sentiment to get your point across but you quoted it. Anyone active in this forum is reading both threads and is going to notice.

You may know most of your flaws, but I'll go out on a ledge and say that there are some things going on you haven't connected the cause and effect yet, or some things you aren't aware of. Also, with sufficient technique and good terrain selection, skiing moguls (not fast) can be done with very low cardio.

I'm sure there are more flaws that I haven't noticed yet. I DO ski moguls, and mostly the type you describe, so that I can continue to get better. I'm not happy with the results yet.

I'm sorry. It's hard to type out every disclaimer possible. Intermediate in some circles means just under World Cup. I didn't use the word "Expert" as by definition most Experts wouldn't be taking very many lessons. The next level below Expert on most trail signs is Intermediate.

Oh come on. We're not talking trail signs. Anyone here knows there is a level between intermediate and expert that we all refer to as advanced.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
My stepdad took me and my brother around 1969 and taught us the fundamentals. A week later he bought us a lesson on a plastic-coated wooden hill about 20 feet high. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know from the previous week. After that, I learned everything by watching other people ski. I got occasional tips from skiing companions. I even learned a few ballet moves by watching films of freestyle skiers. I learned most of what I know from people who weren't aware that they were teaching me. I ski better than some who've taken lots of lessons, and not as good as some who've only taken a few.

But it's mostly the cost.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
for those who say money, is it money or priorities? Devils advocate, what are you spending on beer or another pair of ski's when you could do one group lesson and take valuable info that lasts a lifetime? Steamboat has a 10-3pm lesson for $200
$200 is dinner for the family for a week It's always about choices unless you're living in a box under the freeway. I can't equate a ski lesson for me with dinner for my family for a week. I'm not arguing, to each their own. If people think it's ok to do it great. Just not me that often.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
$200 is dinner for the family for a week It's always about choices unless you're living in a box under the freeway. I can't equate a ski lesson for me with dinner for my family for a week. I'm not arguing, to each their own. If people think it's ok to do it great. Just not me that often.

So that's a true matter of money. nuff' said. carry on good sir!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Have to agree with martyg. Become an instructor.

I asked an instructor once how to get better. They actually gave me a similar answer - quit your job, become an instructor, and ski 100 days. I will tell you that is was pretty demotivating... so please don't tell your clients this... unless you think it is actually feasible for them.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had never taken lessons, and had got to be a quite proficient skier, despite myself. When I got older and divorced, I joined a travelling ski club that offers lessons as part of your membership. I now take a 2 hour lesson at least once a week. ( The club does 3 outing per week , so I could do more) I have been doing it for 12 -13 years now. The groups are smallish ( 4-6) and divided into like abilities. The cost is minimal (annual membership is $135 plus your daily lift ticket and bus ride) And a lesson with a level 3 or 4 instructor. I know that I'm not too good to not benefit from a lesson. @scott43 , you should give it a try. You can still feed the family!!

TS
mister moose

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
You could have typed up the sentiment to get your point across but you quoted it. Anyone active in this forum is reading both threads and is going to notice.
I'm sorry, I don't get your point. People should never be partially quoted without attribution? People should never be quoted because it might cause a misunderstanding? There was no malice in any part of my post.

Oh come on. We're not talking trail signs. Anyone here knows there is a level between intermediate and expert that we all refer to as advanced.
I've heard it as an adjective, as in advanced intermediate. There's also terminal intermediate, low intermediate, solid intermediate, and probably more. I lumped them all into - intermediate. The point of the post wasn't to parse levels of intermediate skiing. Or debate names for skill levels. It was asking why some people that are on an enthusiast board don't take lessons.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with a bunch of posts: money AND perceived value.

First, money: Skiing is inherently an expensive sport, but I have always focused on getting it as cheap as possible. Before I retired, I got in about 25 days a year really cheaply. Last year, I skied 45 days out west for an average lift ticket cost of $37/day. I bring my own lunch and keep my equipment costs to a minimum. I buy skis used and on the inexpensive end. This year, I bought boots...but that will be amortized over the next 5-8 years. So for me, a $200 lesson might be 10-15% of my entire ski budget for the year. Too expensive.

Second, value: My daughter gifted me a lesson last year at PCMR, the first I've had in a long time. That one was valuable...but partly b/c it was quiet and there were only two of us in the lesson and both of us wanted to work on the same thing. In the past, I started skiing w/free lessons b/c I was chaperoning a large group of college kids for a number of years. As I got better, I realized many of the instructors were not that much better -- either at skiing or explaining it -- than I was. The last year, I stopped b/c the instructor I was assigned was a worse skier than I was. So no value there.

I'd LOVE to take lessons and improve my technique. But my experience and the cost keep me away. If lessons were reasonably priced and focused on individual needs like NancyH appears to do, I'd get on the lesson bus immediately.

Finally, I'd argue ski areas ought to offer lessons cheap instead of seeing it as an income producer. More skilled skiers = more enthusiastic skiers = more skiers and more business. But at $700/day for private lessons (PCMR) they don't seem to see it that way.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
In another thread I read this and it's something I've heard in various iterations over and over:

"As for me, I've had one lesson in my life, when I was 12, and after 37 years from that first day I still keep telling myself one of these days I'll take another. I can get down most trails pretty well but my mogul skiing is barely adequate and I'm sure I have flaws all over my technique."

Why is that? Why do so many intermediate (and advanced intermediate) skiers not take ski lessons?

Sure, it's some combination of time, money, and expectations. But I'd be interested in hearing specifics. Many skiers start out describing their skill level as "I can get down anything..."

Well, I can type out any word, but I haven't sold any novels recently. I'd need some guidance. No one I know aspires to 'just getting down'.

Are your ski days so limited that time in a lesson seems like too big an infringement?
Is the cost too high?
Is your expected result too low to bother with?
Have you had one or more bad experiences and gave up?
Underneath it all, you're basically satisfied with your current ability level?
Something else?

It's a bit of a paradox - you want to get better, but don't seek out a method to get there. Most posters here are passionate about the sport, yet it seems many don't seek formal instruction. If you want to get better, but haven't taken a lesson in a long time, why is that?

I haven't had a lesson since I took skiing as my Gym elective when going to the University at Buffalo 30+ years ago.

Biggest factor for me is the time away from free skiing. I only get out 15-20 days most seasons and I don't want to potentially waste time taking a lesson. A lot of my day trips are to the Poconos and I'm not sure I trust a lot of the instructors (having skied with some of them). When I travel, I just want to ski. I was about to join one of the last Epicski academy things when life and health got in the way. Then they were no more. Hoping the Pugski Academy is a go.

I thought it was more about money, but I spend/waste so much eating out every weekend with my wife that it couldn't be the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online