• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
"A full day of instruction at my local hill would be $900."

$950 at my "local hill" - not including tip.:eek:

Hey, that's a bargain given that a three hour lesson is $645. Double the time for only 47% increase in price!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Yeah even though I am certain Stowe instructor are amoung the highest paid in the east if not in the country, it kinda of crazy how much they charge... :( When I started it used to be 650 ish for a day.....I know Stowe priced some of my old clients out of it about 8 years ago, well before Vail.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
That is until we get off the chairlift - then the sad truth becomes evidently clear within 10 yards (ok, 5 yards).:D

Maybe I shouldn’t come over to Stowe next month.. I’m sure I can make plenty of mistakes in 5 yards, more than I can count in 10..

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah even though I am certain Stowe instructor are amoung the highest paid in the east if not in the country, it kinda of crazy how much they charge... :( When I started it used to be 650 ish for a day.....I know Stowe priced some of my old clients out of it about 8 years ago, well before Vail.

At least the instruction is top notch. Now if they would just lower their prices by 25-30% and increase the instructors' share by 25-30% the world would be a better place. :huh:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
more so than other mountains, well except Aspen mountains.

Its still a very small percent of the overall charge.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
more so than other mountains, well except Aspen mountains.

Its still a very small percent of the overall charge.

Thanks for the clarification... something that would be interesting (that I'm sure I'll never see) would be stats on instructor pay rate vs. lesson cost at a bunch of places.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
Maybe I shouldn’t come over to Stowe next month.. I’m sure I can make plenty of mistakes in 5 yards, more than I can count in 10..

Lets just meet at Bolton :huh:

Btw, how is that place? For all I know it is the best kept secret in VT!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Best Kept secret in Vermont is Middlebury Snowbowl.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I fear dropping serious coin on an on-hill lesson would be lost if there is not immediate and persistent practice of the skills learned.

Your fear is well-founded. Despite their iniquitous expense the majority of lessons end up being close to worthless precisely because their recipients don’t have the opportunity (or perhaps inclination) actually to change their skiing. It takes more time and commitment than most bargain for.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Lets just meet at Bolton :huh:

Btw, how is that place? For all I know it is the best kept secret in VT!

We’ll hit Stowe. Just As long as Josh doesn’t post a video of my sloppy skiing.

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
I consider myself a decent skier, but never really formally trained outside of a few beginner lessons. I can navigate pretty much anything, but am still timid when it comes to getting through trees and/or bumps with a ton of confidence/speed. Sometimes even skating the skis going 2mph results in a bail out, and me laughing at myself to hide the embarrassment.

I think the only thing that keeps me from getting lessons to learn the more nuanced skills is that there really aren't a whole lot of options for it. Most lessons are just a program designed to get you on X run without killing yourself.

Who do you go to when you want some real technical training??

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Who do you go to when you want some real technical training??

Where do you ski? I suggest you get recommendations for your area. The standard ski lessons (say, PSIA here in the US) are exactly what you are looking for, as long as you hook up with a high level instructor. The lesson will cost the same, you just need the right instructor (there are different certification levels, etc)

Also: check some ideas here. Good luck!

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most lessons are just a program designed to get you on X run without killing yourself.

I don't think that's true. That may well have been your unfortunate experience in the past. What can happen is that students will push to overterrain themselves, and instructors will go along to get along. As with so many things in life, you need to take a big measure of responsibility for your own lesson. That means explaining at the lineup, and beyond, what you hope to accomplish. If you want to make significant changes to your movement patterns, which should be the goal of any lesson as opposed to a guide service, you must come to the lesson with the patience to begin the practice on terrain that is mellow for your current skill level. Then you can take the new movements into progressively more challenging conditions, and after the lesson continue practicing the drills you picked up, even on easy terrain.

The thing is, that's not what everyone wants from a lesson, so you need to be assertive so that you'll be grouped appropriately. It's the most efficient way to get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor