• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"The instructor likely has no insurance in case of injury" This is bullshit. My wife had a severe leg injury while taking a private lesson in Beaver Creek. We did not get paid a dime.

Did you sue? My understanding is that insurance is in case of a large lawsuit, where if you win, you can actually collect. Without insurance you might win, but not see any money.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Practice Makes Permanent

That's something repeated often. I don't believe it is true otherwise we'd never learn to do anything to any degree of competence.

My own experience and observation is that we need to know the difference between what we need/wish to do and what we currently do. As long as we are physically and mentally capable we can then adjust. Sure, an ingrained movement may require some pattern interrupt however it can be done.

My skiing is adequate for what I attempt at this point in my life. So be it.

This makes perfect sense.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I actually took a lesson this past weekend. I was at a point where I needed some assistance getting past my perceived plateau. Ive historically avoided group lessons as I find many skiers can't properly access their skill level (over estimate). I lucked out this weekend and ended up with a 1:1 with a Level 3 instructor that helped me identify my core issues, got some good runs in and left the lesson with some solid tips on improving my bump/glade skiing.

Len K

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Also note that as per OSHA's 2017 incident reports, working at a ski hill is the second most dangerous occupation out there - more dangerous than LE or firefighter.

@martyg MartyG can you provide a reference/URL?

Len

Last edited:

Len K

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I take a lesson every time I go out west, and occasionally at the small mid west resort I normally ski. I am fine on greens and some blues, but I lose in on steeps or anytime I get going too fast. I am usually asking for help in controlling my speed (yes, I know, "finish the turn"). in candor, lessons have led to some improvement, but I am nowhere near advanced. Sad after skiing for over 40 years... I hear the same issue all the time - being in back seat (as mentioned above) good news is I recognize it- bad is I can't seem to figure out the balance issue and therefore have difficulty getting the tips to engage. Most lessons have been only an hour- thinking next time I will find an l3 and book a three hour lesson.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
This thread had me searching for some type of seasonal lesson program. Apparently those are only for women at all the places I ski.

what.gif

Jersey Skier

Skier
Given that the season is already well under way, they may have removed that info from their website.

I was looking towards next season. Most places still list the seasonal programs and just state that they are full. What's weird was just how many places only had weekly women's clinics. Some mogul clinics, but those weren't a weekly thing.

Part of my reason for looking was that my wife complains I am hard to shop for (for gifts). I figured if I gave her the info about some of these, she could buy one for birthday and as a bonus I'd have to ski every week guilt free.:golfclap:

Jersey Skier

Skier
Just noticed this on Belleayre's snow report:

"Have you tried our FREE Go with a Pro program yet? Meet one of our experienced ski instructors at the summit and have a one run ski down the mountain. During that one run, the instructor will give you one or two pointers to help enhance your skiing technique -- remember you are never too old to learn something new! The group will meet at the top of the gondola at 11:00am from Saturday thru Monday. Please Note: Go with a Pro is for intermediate/expert skiers ages 13+".

Too bad I only ski there on Wednesdays.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just noticed this on Belleayre's snow report:

"Have you tried our FREE Go with a Pro program yet? Meet one of our experienced ski instructors at the summit and have a one run ski down the mountain. During that one run, the instructor will give you one or two pointers to help enhance your skiing technique -- remember you are never too old to learn something new! The group will meet at the top of the gondola at 11:00am from Saturday thru Monday. Please Note: Go with a Pro is for intermediate/expert skiers ages 13+".

Too bad I only ski there on Wednesdays.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I gave up as they were always putting me in the wrong class after the initial ski-off.
I look like shit on those easy hills. They don't see the "pretty turns" they like.

OTOH I look great on double blacks or triple (is there such a thing) blacks.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I gave up as they were always putting me in the wrong class after the initial ski-off.
I look like shit on those easy hills. They don't see the "pretty turns" they like.

Regarding triple blacks; yes, there is at least one in the world. Smuggler's Notch in Vermont has one. From a random YouTube search:

Back to your regular debate.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

Most people who ski like shit on easy hill havent a real clue how to ski. There is no such thing as pretty turn, there is just a skier who well balanced and able to make the ski do what they want, when they want, at any speed they want, on any pitch they want. If you are not able to ski in balance in "easy" hill and dont look "pretty" my guess is you are really good at compensating and muscling. A video of you skiing on any terrain including double black terrain will either prove me right or wrong. "

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Most people who like shit on easy hill havent a real clue how to ski. There is no such thing as pretty turn, there is just a skier who well balanced and able to make the ski do what they want, when they want, at any speed they want, on any pitch they want. If you are not able to ski in balance in "easy" hill and dont look "pretty" my guess is you are really good at compensating and muscling. A video of you skiing on any terrain including double black terrain will either prove me right or wrong. "

Man Josh, you being pretty hard on us shitty skiers! lol

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
maybe but you know its true.

I just think it should be know, I dont care how you look. Looking good is nothing. but if your off balance on easy terrain, there is no way you in balance on harder terrain. It just feels better because your able to use gravity(and or speed, strength or athleticism) better when their is more force being generated by the ski, or whatever bad habit you have isnt affecting you as much on the steeper terrain.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man Josh, you being pretty hard on us shitty skiers! lol

Yeah. But... well, he's right you know...

Where there are ski-offs, if you talk to instructors about what level groups folks should be in, they judge by skills and balance and technique. If you talk to students about what group they think they should be in, they talk about terrain and run difficulty level. (And I've heard more than one instructor say they can often tell what level someone should be in just watching them stand around on their skis, without seeing a single turn.)

Many students want to practice or be guided on the terrain they find fun or engaging or challenging, rather than practice fundamentals on terrain they find "easy", to actually get better technically. I.e., something like "I ski black diamond bumps all the time, so I don't want a lesson on green groomers."

Finding the right balance between the two for students could be important, I'd think, because people want to get different things out of lessons. (At Taos, for instance, they ski you off, but they also ask what you like to ski or want to ski.)

I have a little bit of a reverse issue, where I look OK on groomers, but can't really ski, so I get placed at too high a level. I moved myself down a group at Taos a couple of weeks ago, because the group I was placed in was going to over-terrain me (IMO) and I wanted to work on more fundamental things and just start to get comfortable with harder terrain. Worked out great for me.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Regarding triple blacks; yes, there is at least one in the world. Smuggler's Notch in Vermont has one. From a random YouTube search:

After that, I want you easterners to stop bitching about your lousy snow.

There were at least a few seconds of really nice skiing in that run!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
maybe but you know its true.

I just think it should be know, I dont care how you look. Looking good is nothing. but if your off balance on easy terrain, there is no way you in balance on harder terrain. It just feels better because your able to use gravity(and or speed, strength or athleticism) better when their is more force being generated by the ski, or whatever bad habit you have isnt affecting you as much on the steeper terrain.

Oh-I didn’t say it wasn’t true. I get 100% get your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online