• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LifeIsGoingDownhill

Booting up
Skier
Hi all,

I picked up the AX at the end of last season. I'm a short female, so I thought the Salomon Warden 11 demos would work well for me, but the tech at my shop informed me that, because the skis are pre-drilled, this binding isn't ideal. He said he can make it work, but I should probably find the binding that was intended for this ski.

Clearly, I'm not a gear expert, so I'd like to learn from folks here. There were a wide variety of bindings recommended in this thread... did all of you plug the pre-drilled holes to leverage your preferred bindings?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

smctigue

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi all,

I picked up the AX at the end of last season. I'm a short female, so I thought the Salomon Warden 11 demos would work well for me, but the tech at my shop informed me that, because the skis are pre-drilled, this binding isn't ideal. He said he can make it work, but I should probably find the binding that was intended for this ski.

Clearly, I'm not a gear expert, so I'd like to learn from folks here. There were a wide variety of bindings recommended in this thread... did all of you plug the pre-drilled holes to leverage your preferred bindings?

Pre-drilled? I assume they were used?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi all,

If the "new" skis the shop sold you have holes. Those skis are not new.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If the "new" skis the shop sold you have holes. Those skis are not new.
They could have been drilled for the Salomon/Stockli XM13 (Warden 13) which is a different pattern than the Warden 11.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That’s strange. Normally predrilled come the Stockli that are designed to work with their plates-the Laser Series and even they are predrilled they should be done so exactly for Warden demo as these were the bindings the AX used to come before the Strives.
Very strange.
Yes, last years skis came (optionally) with the XM13, which it could have been pre drilled for, that is a different pattern than the Wardel 11 Demo in the heel. Can @LifeIsGoingDownhill post a picture of the binding area where it was drilled?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They could have been drilled for the Salomon/Stockli XM13 (Warden 13) which is a different pattern than the Warden 11.

That must be it yes. I cannot remember if the AX was offered with the option of Warden 11 or just 13 before the Strive
Judging by the Montero AX now, most probably only 13

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro and @Philpug, my skis are still at the shop, but the tech confirmed they have stickers over the holes that read "Drilling pattern D30 for STO XM D30"

So @Philpug is absolutely right. This is the pattern for XM13 bindings.

Can you live with 4-13 DIN bindings or are they too much?

LifeIsGoingDownhill

Booting up
Skier
So @Philpug is absolutely right. This is the pattern for XM13 bindings.

Can you live with 4-13 DIN bindings or are they too much?

It's more than I need, but I can live with it. Just to confirm--the XM13 should be equivalent to the Warden 13 regular as opposed to the Warden 13 demo?

Thanks so much for all the quick replies! I'm definitely not feeling like the brightest start in the sky at the moment, but I really appreciate all of the help!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's more than I need, but I can live with it. Just to confirm--the XM13 should be equivalent to the Warden 13 regular as opposed to the Warden 13 demo?

Thanks so much for all the quick replies! I'm definitely not feeling like the brightest start in the sky at the moment, but I really appreciate all of the help!
XM13 is the same as the Warden 13 Demo. Unfortunately I am completey out of them, moved on to the Strive 13 Demos

James

Out There
Instructor
Al’s has a 90mm brake version.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The idea that it's OK to pre-drill holes in skis without actually mounting the bindings provided seems presumptuous. If I thought they were doing it to make it easier to ship, I might be slightly mollified, but they include the bindings in the same box as the skis so that isn't really happening. If they're not going to drill and mount then they should offer a truly flat option i.e. no holes. ..... says the old geezer free heeler who never, ever wants the bindings that must be purchased. Just go ahead and pour vinegar in that cut, why don't you.
Is this just a Stockli thing or do other brands do it also with any of their skis?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If the skis are pre-drilled for a specific binding, the seller should specify as such. Prominently. Should not be something that crops up after the sale.

LifeIsGoingDownhill

Booting up
Skier
If the skis are pre-drilled for a specific binding, the seller should specify as such. Prominently. Should not be something that crops up after the sale.
Hearing your stance on this is greatly appreciated. There was nothing on the site that stated the skis were pre-drilled, but here is the response I received when I reached out to the shop I bought them from:

Many Stockli skis come pre-drilled from the factory. It was probably one of those. Stockli customers have a problem with this in many circumstances. There skis always have weird binding setups. Customers do not read the fine print on how these skis are brought into the US.

They want to buy the ski/binding setup and put their own bindings on not realizing that the skis are pre-drilled for the binding they come with.

LifeIsGoingDownhill

Booting up
Skier
The idea that it's OK to pre-drill holes in skis without actually mounting the bindings provided seems presumptuous. If I thought they were doing it to make it easier to ship, I might be slightly mollified, but they include the bindings in the same box as the skis so that isn't really happening. If they're not going to drill and mount then they should offer a truly flat option i.e. no holes. ..... says the old geezer free heeler who never, ever wants the bindings that must be purchased. Just go ahead and pour vinegar in that cut, why don't you.
Is this just a Stockli thing or do other brands do it also with any of their skis?
I'd free the heel and the mind if I were so athletically inclined. Rock on, my friend! And thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The site did not advertise that the skis were pre-drilled. The shop I purchased them from is saying that Stockli delivers many skis to the US pre-drilled from the factory. Even if that is the case, they should have made that really clear before I purchased the skis. I spent a lot of time and money researching and tracking down the binding that is ideal for me... all just to have to purchase another binding. Anyway, first world problems. Thank you again for your reply!

Sponsor

Staff online