• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am picking up a Used pair of Laser AX from someone off this site.

What bindings should I look at? I like the idea of demo bindings to be able to hone in on the mount point. Would the Attack 13 demo be appropriate for this?

If I went non-demo bindings, what’s the move?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am an Attack-Demo fan-boy, but I'd suggest these Salomon's instead on a narrower front-side ski:
The narrowest Attack demo brake is 84mm
This Salomon demo has a 75mm brake.
I'm pretty sure Stockli rebadges this Salomon for some of their current line-up.
And it's on sale for cheap ! :thumb:
FYI: looks like these are DIN only, not Grip-Walk

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
There is a simple rule I live by when it comes to Stockli Laser series... plate it. So if it's a Laser series, give it a plate. :)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My 2017 laser AX has Aaattack demos, and 2020 has used Saloman Warden demos (which were previously on another's AX). But, I'm a weekend warrior, who doesn't demand racing performance, and probably couldn't tell if something was missing. YMMV

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Skied an AR last week... no need to plate. AX, sure for the right skier... Binding? Free flex 16.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied an AR last week... no need to plate. AX, sure for the right skier... Binding? Free flex 16.

Not that it matters but I'm wondering if it would have been a closer call between those two skis had the AX I demo'd had a plate setup.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Don't forget about binding delta when selecting bindings. If you have a favorite pair of skis that you really feel balanced on, then either use the same binding or measure the existing one on the favorite skis and find a new binding that uses the same delta. I can't overemphasize the importance of this critical aspect enough.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here is what I put on my AX: Tyrolia PRD's with Fischer Branding

IMG_20200224_225805548.jpg

IMG_20200224_225838018.jpg
IMG_20200224_225848033.jpg

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jim,

I assume you know the history of these skis. I have not been on them yet this year, just once last year. They have a SKIMD tune of 0.5/3.0 with a nice structure. You can see the adjustable bindings that are mounted. They allow my 29.5 boot to go +3.5cm to -1.5 cm from the line. I have them set up std for +2.0, which seems to be the recommended spot. I am waiting to put Phantom on them (coming today) and then its time to rock and roll them. They will not be too long for me as I typically ski a 193cm GS race ski and I am excited to get some time on them. I have been on my race skis and my Brahma's mostly this year, these might be a good compromise between the two.

James

Out There
Instructor
Jim,

I assume you know the history of these skis. I have not been on them yet this year, just once last year. They have a SKIMD tune of 0.5/3.0 with a nice structure. You can see the adjustable bindings that are mounted. They allow my 29.5 boot to go +3.5cm to -1.5 cm from the line. I have them set up std for +2.0, which seems to be the recommended spot. I am waiting to put Phantom on them (coming today) and then its time to rock and roll them. They will not be too long for me as I typically ski a 193cm GS race ski and I am excited to get some time on them. I have been on my race skis and my Brahma's mostly this year, these might be a good compromise between the two.
Should be a good setup. I skied that pair. Going +2 to 3, and a lower base bevel from it’s 1+ should cure it.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Don't forget about binding delta when selecting bindings. If you have a favorite pair of skis that you really feel balanced on, then either use the same binding or measure the existing one on the favorite skis and find a new binding that uses the same delta. I can't overemphasize the importance of this critical aspect enough.

Is there such a thing as a binding with adjustable delta?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Is there such a thing as a binding with adjustable delta?

Not that I'm aware of (other than using shims below the toe). However, given the new MBS type bindings, the mechanism to provide adjustable delta, at least at the toe, could be possible. MBS changes the height of the toe AFD. Just make it "infinitely" adjustable and that could work.

However, I doubt the binding manufacturers would want to take on this liability. You never know though. I think the real impediment is that in order to solve a problem, you first have to admit you have one. The way the binding manufacturers continually screw around with their binding deltas from year to year tells me that they don't give a damn and they don't recognize this as a problem.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree there is not a binding with adjustable delta, but there could be. Salomons have a toe piece that moves up and down with a fixed AFD. You can add a shim on top of the AFD and you have it. Tyrolia has a fixed height toe with an AFD that moves up and down. Combine the Salomon toe with the Tyrolia AFD and you have adjustable delta at the toe. There might be that combo on the market, but it seems either one or the other moves, but not both.

Usually you put shims or spacers between the ski and the toe piece. This does require longer screws, usually.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping this thread.

Thinking about replacing the bindings on my AXs with something Gripwalk compatible.

Any suggestions?

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My only recommendation is look up this years bindings you are interested in to see if they are grip walk compatible. A lot were not, but have been converted this year. For instance most Salomon bindings are now grip walk compatible.

Next decision is do you want them adjustable. I like the adjustable bindings on that ski, as I moved them around to find my preferred mount point (1.5 cm ahead, on a 183cm AX, 2017-18 ski). I don't see myself moving them anymore, but I might at some point. If you know where you like em mounted, I suggest non-adjustable. Not sure about the gripwalk compatibility, but Look Pivot 15's would go nicely on that ski.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My only recommendation is look up this years bindings you are interested in to see if they are grip walk compatible. A lot were not, but have been converted this year. For instance most Salomon bindings are now grip walk compatible.

Next decision is do you want them adjustable. I like the adjustable bindings on that ski, as I moved them around to find my preferred mount point (1.5 cm ahead, on a 183cm AX, 2017-18 ski). I don't see myself moving them anymore, but I might at some point. If you know where you like em mounted, I suggest non-adjustable. Not sure about the gripwalk compatibility, but Look Pivot 15's would go nicely on that ski.

I run Pivots on everything else, so that would definitely make for a simple solution. I didn't know they made a 75mm brake, but looked it up when I saw your post and it appears they do.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bumping this thread.

Thinking about replacing the bindings on my AXs with something Gripwalk compatible.

Any suggestions?

Whatever you do, make sure they are adjustable so you can vary the position of the boot. Moving the bindings forward +1/1,5/2 brings some very....interesting results with the AX. ;)

Sponsor

Staff online