• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Looking at the skis from that catalog...
Why are the masters GS skis 68mm underfoot where as the FIS stay at 65mm? I would have thought 65mm under foot would have been better, even for a masters ski. Anyone got any ideas?
To accommodate wider boots so that wide footed skiers can ski the boot all day, instead of squeezing into them for the race, without too much worry about boot out on boiler plate?

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
The new Raptor WCR's look and fit quite well, their derivative nature, notwithstanding. It is clearly an improvement with both fit and stance.
The forward lean is rather curious. The sticker on the show samples indicated a forward lean of 14 degrees,
while the catalog says 16 degrees same as the previous R boots. We were told that the 14 degrees was a misprint and that the boots are the same as previously.
However, if you take an R3 and a WCR and the other boot that the WCR looks like, and line them up it is quite obvious the WCR is more upright than the R series boot, but more forward than the other white race boot.
Some companies claim to be stating the angle of the rear spine and others the angle of the leg.
The difference between "classic method" and "new method" of determining forward angle wasn't really made clear.

pliny the elder

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Just a bit of off topic question, since somehow it really interests me... Does anyone really buy this marketing BS, and seriously believe there's stuff like KERS, electronic dampening system and god knows what else marketing departments invent in skis?
I don't mean anything bad with this question, I'm just interested if someone believes this is really in skis?

I’m currently at Canadian Masters Nationals, theres Heads here going back to ‘02 in terms of speed skis- they all are identical except for topsheets.

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
The new Raptor WCR's look and fit quite well, their derivative nature, notwithstanding. It is clearly an improvement with both fit and stance.
The forward lean is rather curious. The sticker on the show samples indicated a forward lean of 14 degrees,
while the catalog says 16 degrees same as the previous R boots. We were told that the 14 degrees was a misprint and that the boots are the same as previously.
However, if you take an R3 and a WCR and the other boot that the WCR looks like, and line them up it is quite obvious the WCR is more upright than the R series boot, but more forward than the other white race boot.
Some companies claim to be stating the angle of the rear spine and others the angle of the leg.
The difference between "classic method" and "new method" of determining forward angle wasn't really made clear.

pliny the elder
Forward lean is difficult to measure: the rear spine is not straight.
I don't know if there is some sort of "industry standard" that the manufacturers use to determine which part of the rear spine is used when calculating the angle. Maybe someone here can enlighten.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Forward lean is difficult to measure: the rear spine is not straight.
I don't know if there is some sort of "industry standard" that the manufacturers use to determine which part of the rear spine is used when calculating the angle. Maybe someone here can enlighten.

I know there's discussion about the "old method" versus the "new method", but the only method I've ever used is to place a long stick (ruler) inside the boot flat against the front of the cuff so that it's sticking out of the top of the boot (the liner is pulled and the boot is fully buckled). On the outside of the boot I use a digital goniometer to measure the angle formed between the sole of the boot and the ruler sticking out of the top of the boot. If the boot has a toe lift (gas pedal) then the angle must be taken from the line across the top of the boot lugs, not the bottom sole, since the gas pedal will alter the measurement.

What is critical is the "interface" of the boot with the front of your shin. I have found that measuring the rear spine angle is problematic since it is not always parallel with the inside of the front of the cuff. Needless to say, but my measurements can vary from what the manufacturers state as the published forward lean for a boot. However, I believe that my method is more relevant as I use it in conjunction with the dorsiflexion range measurements and the bootboard ramp angle. Forward lean really needs to be assessed by using the position of the front of your shin.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
Spotted - RAPTOR WCR 4 - in the wild

View attachment 94097
This is the production version from trade show.
head boot.jpeg

pliny the elder

Industry Insider
Skier
The Lange/Rossignol race boots for 20-21 are having RFID chips placed inside to prevent the shenanigans of the past couple of seasons. Although it would seem Head has already made their own version.

pliny the elder

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@pliny the elder Rossi skis have this for 2-3 seasons, but if you really want to, they could be easily removed. There's few other reasons for skis to have them, but skis not wandering around is one of them.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
On the subject of tech, anyone interested should listen to the Blister Podcasts on boots. They just did their 4th episode--talking with a tech from Atomic. Very interesting. It also emphasizes a point that is made above--most of the equipment on tour is NOT useful for your typical expertesque skier here on Pugski.

Skiers like MH and MS need special tools for a few runs.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Very curious about the new Raptors. Loved my old ones, but fatally flawed for an expertesque (love that term @ejj) such as myself.

I'll be looking for:

1. A bit less forward lean.

2. Easier removal when cold.

3. Warmer.

I doubt this will come to pass, and I'm perfectly happy with my RX130s (with Intuition liners and Raptor boosters to stiffen them up), but they do NOT have quite the effortless edging power of the Raptor.

Reactions: ejj

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes. RS would be a better comparison.
I could easily ski either the Lange or Head offerings.

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
A fast speed pair is held on to until they’re ’burnt’. They can get new paint to look current.
A French company used to use decals and a leftover from the SM to 3G model change. Plastic instead of metal VAR plates too
20200225_182204.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I loved those Dynastar SL skis with the chicken hearts. I think they were "coursa" or something like that. I would have bought one after demoing it, but the concept of a quiver hadn't dawned in my brain yet, and I needed, ok wanted, a speed ski at the time, and despite the chicken heart, the SLs just could not handle serious speed.

willgoelz

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Reviving this thread a bit, anyone have thoughts on whether or not an upgrade to the new WCRs from this season’s R3 RD would be worth it? Absolutely love the R3s- they fit phenomenally on me and ski really well- but tempted by the redesign. U19 FIS racer here.

Sponsor