• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats on everyone success! I've enjoyed following this thread. I just have to turn the motivation provided here into action. ;)

I'm terrible about snacking late. What's the after 7 pm rule/suggestion? Is it no eating or no points?

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
what are the main habit changes that this is prompting you to make? Eating at home more? Eating less? Eating more fruits & veggies? Eating less red meat?
Yes to eating at home more , portion control, more fruits & veg, especially the latter.
Yes to avoiding refined sugars and processed foods, to understanding nutrition labels and ingredient lists, to being mindful about the diet and not getting wigged out if ice cream happens, to increasing fiber to stay full longer (whole grain products included).

- a handful or 2 of spinach added to scrambled eggs, it cooks down in size very quickly
- a generous amount of baby arugula on top of avocado toast, mild peppery taste
- making green smoothies (more green than fruity) for a snack or light meal
- taking the easy route and buying pre-washed salads & greens
- packing a lunch, meal planning, and cooking on weekends to have the right foods available

I am so pleased today. My fasting blood sugar was 93. It was 95 last time and I thought it was a fluke or a bad battery in my glucose reader. But it's really down.
P.S. A behavior change that had a big payoff for me was getting more sleep, which improved my judgement, which made making a good food choice easier.

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congrats on everyone success! I've enjoyed following this thread. I just have to turn the motivation provided here into action. ;)

I'm terrible about snacking late. What's the after 7 pm rule/suggestion? Is it no eating or no points?
It's more watching what you eat.
Nothing heavy or big on fat or calories.
This article on WW gives some idea about it.
And, again, its not a rule, just one of many thoughts on changing habits to be healthier.
https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/m/cms/article/truth-about-eating-late-night

Edit to add link

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is true if you're already in the habit of eating most meals at home, I think. If you're buying food out it's a bit tougher.

Which leads me to a question: what are the main habit changes that this is prompting you to make? Eating at home more? Eating less? Eating more fruits & veggies? Eating less red meat?

For us, I think they key changes will be (1) less snacking, (2) making sure to eat breakfast at home, and (3) replacing a lot of the red meat and carbs in the dinners we make at home with healthier alternatives.

You are correct on most of this with 2 exceptions. 1) I do eat out quite a bit. We make good choices (salads, grilled chicken/seafood, lots of veggies). We also ask to substitute veggies for fried sides and ask for things to be grilled without oil. Restaurants are happy to accommodate. 2) I don’t eat less than I want. I eat better and make better choices, although I admit I can’t eat as much as I used to do.

For me, I got started in the right direction by starting to eat a healthy breakfast, taking some fruit to work for snacks and then just being conscious about my choices. I eat out for lunch every day and choose wisely versus my old routine of fast food, steak subs, fries, etc. The biggest behavioral change I learned thru WW was to be mindful of what I eat. It can be done. We just returned from 2 weeks at Disney and except for breakfast we ate every meal out, had drinks around the pool and while playing golf, etc. Over the 2 weeks I gained 2 pounds. That would have easily been 10-15 before WW.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Right now I am fluctuating. I was down to (flashes of) 192.5 to 193, now I am back up to 194.5-195 with no change in what I eat, drink or even exercise. While I am a little concerned I am not really because I know this will happen and I know this is a proven process. I am not going to focus on 2 lb gained but the 8.5 I have lost which is still better than not losing it.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Right now I am fluctuating. I was down to (flashes of) 192.5 to 193, now I am back up to 194.5-195 with no change in what I eat, drink or even exercise. While I am a little concerned I am not really because I know this will happen and I know this is a proven process. I am not going to focus on 2 lb gained but the 8.5 I have lost which is still better than not losing it.
Yup. You started about two weeks after I did. Enjoy the plateau :D

Suzski

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm so late to this thread but I love it! I lost 35 lbs last year doing a modified form of KETO with a nutritionist. Now I'm just maintaining and enjoy some healthy carbs (some whole grains, fresh in-season fruit) without going overboard, and healthy fats (e.g., avocado, olives, nuts, olive & avocado oils). The most important thing for me is keeping up the exercise 5-7 days/week and tracking calories in/out on MyFitnessPal.

The whole process was easy but expensive - I've gone from a size 14 to an 8 and I've had to replace almost my entire wardrobe. I started with the ski attire. :golfclap:

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We are having “all you can eat” sushi for lunch today. It’s hilarious watching @Philpug do the math to teach how many pieces per order and how many points per piece. It’s a good thing he’s wearing flip flops, I think he ran out of fingers
Here’s my tracking
6EE87A5C-B425-46BC-8098-F8918A8B5AC0.jpeg

And the first plate of sushi
image.jpg

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are having “all you can eat” sushi for lunch today. It’s hilarious watching @Philpug do the math to teach how many pieces per order and how many points per piece. It’s a good thing he’s wearing flip flops, I think he ran out of fingers
Here’s my tracking View attachment 77314

And the first plate of sushi
View attachment 77315

Why does that sashimi have points? No rice, so why the points ?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ah.. I see it now; just poking out of the top left salmon :P
This place is very good at not loading you up on rice. I will say, we have been coming to here for a couple of years, this is the first time Tricia and I left not feeling right. The cuts of the sushi were actaully not sushi like in that they were huge to the point that they were tough to chew and you can see in the picture that they were not cut with typical sushi chef precision. Second, we are also thinking that our change if intake over the past month plus might have contributed to the less than great feeling. Either way, neither of is dipped into our weeklies and as long as we eat a low point dinner, we can still enjoy a cocktail tonight.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This is true if you're already in the habit of eating most meals at home, I think. If you're buying food out it's a bit tougher.

Which leads me to a question: what are the main habit changes that this is prompting you to make? Eating at home more? Eating less? Eating more fruits & veggies? Eating less red meat?

For us, I think they key changes will be (1) less snacking, (2) making sure to eat breakfast at home, and (3) replacing a lot of the red meat and carbs in the dinners we make at home with healthier alternatives.

For me, it's looking at a menu before heading to the restaurant. That way, I can make my choices before I am there and starving. I also eat a lot more chicken and I experiment with fruity sauces and spicy mixed with fruit. I eat red meat but a lot less frequently. In my case, I have also cut out potatoes which is the biggest sacrifice because I do love my taters. I still eat rice, cous cous & quinoa. I'm not big on bread, but if I have a sandwich, I go open faced.

In my case, I go no eating at all - though I do finish my drink if I have one going. ;)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My turn to gain a pound- even though I was very, very good this week. How good? It was Vacation Bible School week so treats were everywhere - cupcakes, muffins, danish, Chex mix, ICE CREAM SUNDAES, pizza, etc. None of it crossed my lips; I stuck to fresh fruit. I am feeling like I should have gone ahead and had the ice cream sundae. GRRRR!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My turn to gain a pound- even though I was very, very good this week. How good? It was Vacation Bible School week so treats were everywhere - cupcakes, muffins, danish, Chex mix, ICE CREAM SUNDAES, pizza, etc. None of it crossed my lips; I stuck to fresh fruit. I am feeling like I should have gone ahead and had the ice cream sundae. GRRRR!
That's how I felt the first time, when I was two weeks into the program. But now, I expect it. Still the average is 2 lbs a week which is pretty big.
Keep at it, you did the right thing.

Sponsor

Staff online