• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm with you. That's why I weigh myself daily in the morning. It helps me to see the cycle and that keeps me in it for the long haul. For example: I have learned that if I gain 3 or 4 pounds during a vacation week, I can lose it in one week upon my return if I really watch myself and stick to my regimen.
I do the same thing and have for years now. Daily. Keeps me accountable. The only time I've not been able to keep things under control is when my hormones get all out of whack.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is kind of how I feel today.
sassy pants.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks to this thread (plus a good year+ of not feeling great about our eating and exercising habits), my DH and I are giving WW a shot for a bit.

What I need to know now is - what are your favorite easy, low point snacks?? Hoping to want to snack less over time, but in the meantime if I can’t at least partially satisfy my sweet tooth with something as easy as grabbing a granola bar, the next few weeks are gonna be tough.
One more thing that we failed to mention.
If you really want something to satisfy your sweet tooth, eat it and count the points!
Don't over indulge, but enjoy what you want, ...just track your points.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
One more thing that we failed to mention.
If you really want something to satisfy your sweet tooth, eat it and count the points!
Don't over indulge, but enjoy what you want, ...just track your points.

Heh, I came to that conclusion just this morning, and had some chocolate granola ball things with my coffee. Worth it. :)

I can definitely feel that we've been eating differently this last week, but I am not totally sure whether this is a normal way to feel given the dietary changes (I've had way way less carbs and sugar over the last 5 days) or if I'm not quite eating enough.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Heh, I came to that conclusion just this morning, and had some chocolate granola ball things with my coffee. Worth it. :)

I can definitely feel that we've been eating differently this last week, but I am not totally sure whether this is a normal way to feel given the dietary changes (I've had way way less carbs and sugar over the last 5 days) or if I'm not quite eating enough.
There is a woman on WW who has been on it since 2004. She has an instagram feed with tips and tricks to satisfy the hunger and cravings.
What I have been figuring out is that, if I'm craving something I probably need it.
I was wanting a sandwich, with real bread, so I bought some multigrain bread, turkey and other fixings and made a sandwich. I really feel like my body was wanting the bread.
The multi grain bread I bought was 2 points per slice, turkey was 0, if I wanted cheese(I didn't) that would have been a few more points.
The point (no pun intended) is that you can eat anything you want as long as you track and stay within your points. Give in to the cravings if you need to but don't overindulge, but I think you are the sort to fully understand that. AND, your body is different than mine, so you may tweak what you do differently than I do it.

Example of my journey: I've been losing an average of 2 lbs per week. That seems slow but I'm stoked about it and looking forward to the long term impact on my health.

@Coach13 posted about a 1 point per slice bread earlier, but I can't find it out here. I did find another one, that was Italian style, but I don't remember the name at the moment.
We've looked at two of the three Costcos near us and haven't found the bread, so I went on line to see where they are located in our area, only to find there is no distribution in Nevada. :(
https://schmidtbaking.com

DISTRIBUTION AREAS
  • Maryland
  • Pennsylvania
  • New Jersey
  • West Virginia
  • Virginia
  • Delaware

Not that we're craving bread right now, but it would be cool if we find something local with that kind of points and reputation.
Heck, that bread is something @no edge might even like on his Paleo plan.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@RachelV you weren't specific about how you were feeling but reading this made me think that you might be coming off of a sugar fix.
I was actually thinking that, too.
I've always liked my sweets and pasta. After we did the full paleo thing a few years ago, my body stopped craving sugary things on a regular basis. Not that I don't crave something sweet sometimes, but I really don't miss it most of the time.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is my 2 point fish taco:
Blackened tilapia
Black beans
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Grilled poblano
Don Pancho Cilantro Lime Crema - 1 pt
La Tortilla Factory low carb tortilla - 1 pt

2384993F-7527-41AF-89EA-3455C4B572C9.jpeg

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thank you all!! You have inspired me, I've been a yo-yo dieter my whole life, I know it's putting less in and working off more than putting in. (I have a degree in dietetics)
Getting old sucks and is so much harder to lose the weight. Right now I am too fat, I have set my goal to be 20 or more Less lbs by Winter and keep it off!! (My hardest part)
I've lost it all before hard part is to stay on track and exercise more than what I eat, having 3 sizes of clothes is way too many!
I have always walked every day, but this thread has me back on my "WI Fit"/ Yoga program. I am committed to working out daily besides just the few miles of the daily dog walking.

I haven't ever done weight watchers. Very Interesting reading the points system and thanks for sharing the portions/menus!
Seems like a good lifestyle change which at my age I think is needed to stop the yo-yo

I have found Almased- a Dr. made fermented Soy power that helps me getting started, cuts the sugar cravings. Can even jump start a diet
with it and live on it for 2 wks having a shake for b'fast and lunch and a healthy (weight watchers) dinner.
My problem is working til 9+pm then eating. UGH. going to bed fat and then of course am fatter in the AM.

Thanks again! Here's to Us all being Healthier!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thank you all!! You have inspired me
<snip>

My problem is working til 9+pm then eating. UGH. going to bed fat and then of course am fatter in the AM.

Thanks again! Here's to Us all being Healthier!
The eating late is hard. I sincerely sympathize with you.
I started to commit to not eating anything heavy after 7 PM in the past couple months and I sleep so much better!
Its not easy, especially when having friends over for dinner, but I'm trying and it does make a difference when I can make it happen.

WW has a good article about that.
https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/m/cms/article/truth-about-eating-late-night

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just out of curiosity... I'm wondering if this favorite quick meal/snack of mine would be in the WW database. It's a dried stewed tofu which I don't imagine many in the western cultures would be familiar with. My portion was half the package with a little slivered spring onion, seseme oil and soy sauce.

DSC_0091.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even in my retired lifestyle, I find it hard to eat early in summertime. Part of it is the heat and part of iti is the longer days. I have failed in the “before 7” more often than not.
I type this as I finish dinner at about 6:10> I'd much rather eat between 5:30 and 6:30 than after 7:00

Tonights dinner because I was in the mood for beef.

2 tacos
2 shells--2 points
3 oz. total of 93/7 beef--3 points
1 oz cheese--1 point
Don Pancho Cilantro Lime Crema-- 1 pt

0 points:
Corn
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Jalapinos
Salsa

Before:
fullsizeoutput_77d2.jpeg

After:
fullsizeoutput_77d3.jpeg

I have enough points to go back for a 3rd taco but I am full.

Here has been my day so far....

Breakfast
2 eggs -- 0 points
3 0z smoked salmon-- 0 points
Coffee w. lt cream -- 1 point
fullsizeoutput_77d5.jpeg

Lunch
Chicken broth -- 0 points
Spinach -- 0 points
1 oz (dry) Orzo -- 3 points
1 egg -- 0 points

fullsizeoutput_77d4.jpeg

Snacks:
2 bananas -- 0 points
2 pickles -- 0 points
leftover banana/PB fit pakcakes w/ strawberrys -- 1 point (for a sweets fix @RachelV)

So, 12 points today...I have 26 to use...plus another 5 to stay in my fitness zone. A cople of drinks tonight 4 x 1.5 oz is 12 points...I am still below my dailies. I seriously hacve trouble using all of my points.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just out of curiosity... I'm wondering if this favorite quick meal/snack of mine would be in the WW database. It's a dried stewed tofu which I don't imagine many in the western cultures would be familiar with. My portion was half the package with a little slivered spring onion, seseme oil and soy sauce.

View attachment 77302
3 points per serving, each package is 3 servings. The onion and soy sauce are 0 points, Sesame oil is 1 point for a TSP, so maybe 6 points if you eat 1/2 the package. Not bad.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have to say this thread has been very good for my mindset. My ultimate goal is 15lbs. This thread has helped get my mindset in the right place. I was hungry after 7 last night and I didn't eat dinner. It was so hot out I wasn't terribly hungry anyway, just kept drinking the water. I now start out each day with a big bunch of sips of water and it seems to get me in the water mind set and I've been eating less. I've also gotten into hiking up the ski mountain. We can pay to play disc golf at bromley but if you walk up it's free so we walk up. It's not so bad. We'll do it again in a few days. It's nice where out condo is located because there's we are right there so I'm actually the one now saying let's go for a walk. I now want to walk up hill. My SO said who are you lol. For me it's the small things that make all the difference so I'm working on laying a nice foundation and this thread and all the great ideas has been great motivation to work on that.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even in my retired lifestyle, I find it hard to eat early in summertime. Part of it is the heat and part of iti is the longer days. I have failed in the “before 7” more often than not.
Its hard!

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
That’s me as well. With all the zero point foods I rarely end up over 15-18 points.

This is true if you're already in the habit of eating most meals at home, I think. If you're buying food out it's a bit tougher.

Which leads me to a question: what are the main habit changes that this is prompting you to make? Eating at home more? Eating less? Eating more fruits & veggies? Eating less red meat?

For us, I think they key changes will be (1) less snacking, (2) making sure to eat breakfast at home, and (3) replacing a lot of the red meat and carbs in the dinners we make at home with healthier alternatives.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is true if you're already in the habit of eating most meals at home, I think. If you're buying food out it's a bit tougher.

Which leads me to a question: what are the main habit changes that this is prompting you to make? Eating at home more? Eating less? Eating more fruits & veggies? Eating less red meat?
Eating at home helps a lot...two fold, you eat better and it costs much less. We already ate a lot of veggies but have added more bananas to the diet. Yes, red meat, both in times and in quantity, smaller portions.
For us, I think they key changes will be (1) less snacking, (2) making sure to eat breakfast at home, and (3) replacing a lot of the red meat and carbs in the dinners we make at home with healthier alternatives.
These are all correct.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

For us, we tend to eat at home a lot anyway because we both like to cook.
Liking to cook also makes it easy for us to know what to substitute in a meal to make it lower points.
We like rice an pasta, so we're eating less of it but not eliminating it. Again, that's the beauty of this over paleo. We aren't "missing" stuff in our daily eating, just being smarter about consumption.

The biggest difference in my daily eating is the awareness of grazing. I just don't graze like I used to

Sponsor

Staff online