• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We need a modern-day Spider Sabich

HB Shakespeare

Booting up
Skier
I am thinking of writing a book titled Spider Sabich: The King Of Cool. Text on cover of book .75 inches beneath title:
"From the slopes of Edelweiss to the slopes of Aspen:
An intimate portrait of an American Legend"

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I agree with your post word-for-word minus "really, really." "Vonn/Shiffrin are pretty much sponsor billboards who can ski well."

I wonder how many people in America know what slalom skiing is? How many high school seniors in Trenton New Jersey class of 2019 have heard of Spider Sabich, Claudine Longet, Edelweiss ski area, the Red Onion?
First you should not pick on Trenton NJ. Second, High School Seniors have their own idea of who to pick as a hero and for the most part it is a rap artist. I think you are talking more about the charismatic athletic male and it does not matter what sport it is, it is the glamor not the accomplishment. Yes, Spider was cool but we have had skiers with better results. But many today are only interested in "cool" and not substance. You talk about Vonn and Shiffrin being sponsor billboards would you not let them make a buck off their hard work and talent? They are also very marketable because they meet the image of what is looked at as "attractive" to the media.

Maybe this thread belongs with What would do to improve the sport of skiing.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Johnston , a Joe Kapp reference in a ski forum,,,, I love it , can you guess one of my favorite Vikings ???

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
not sure which number our #22 wore when he left the BC Lions for the Vikings but he is well remembered in Vancouver.
still the only Quarterback who played in the Rose Bowl, the Grey Cup and the Super Bowl.
great leader- got a raw deal from the NFL that ended his career too soon. .

TS
SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
not sure which number our #22 wore when he left the BC Lions for the Vikings but he is well remembered in Vancouver.
still the only Quarterback who played in the Rose Bowl, the Grey Cup and the Super Bowl.
great leader- got a raw deal from the NFL that ended his career too soon. .

I remember watching this game on TV. Joe Kapp, Dave Osborn. Them were the days.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
The thing is, sports these days are far too competitive for wild characters to be successful.

In the past, a talented athlete could skip training, ignore his coaches, and go out partying and still have a good shot at winning. Nowadays, while the wild character is out being "cool," his competitors are doing what it takes to be the best. And when they compete, the "cool" guy's talent alone isn't enough to win.

The perfect example of this is Nick Kyrgios in tennis. He's got the talent to be the best, but he's got the mentality of a teenager whose primary focus is trying to look cool. As a result, he loses a lot and is being overtaken by younger Aussies who are more focused on winning.

The US will have another male racer at the top in the future, but he won't be a "cool" guy like a '70s rock star. Those guys will be the ones regularly finishing in the places no one cares about until their teams cut them.

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why does the role model have to be a ski racer? What about folks like Candide Thovex? Or maybe... hmm... actually, he's probably the only freeskier famous enough, in a "YouTube famous" kind of way, to qualify.

James

Out There
Instructor
What we need is those padded arm sweaters from the seventies. Not another Claudine Longet. (Now 76)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why the man crush on Spider Sabich?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Spider Sabich sucked on the World Cup. He made it big on the pro circuit, sort of like arena football vs NFL.

Not such a great guy either. There was a custom of wishing good luck to your competitor in the parallel starting gate. Sabich refused to do so, said the only thing he wished for the other guy was a DNF.

I'll take Bode for a role model over that.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
Spider Sabich sucked on the World Cup. He made it big on the pro circuit, sort of like arena football vs NFL.

Not such a great guy either. There was a custom of wishing good luck to your competitor in the parallel starting gate. Sabich refused to do so, said the only thing he wished for the other guy was a DNF.

I'll take Bode for a role model over that.

Ouch.

And Spider Sabich? Dude. Come on.

I smell a troll. Just sayin.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Ouch.

And Spider Sabich? Dude. Come on.

I thought Clint Eastwood was the coolest dude in America after watching Dirty Harry until I saw Spider slalom race. He bumped Clint to #2. A modern-day male-skier role model in the mold of SPIDER SABICH is what America urgently needs. Discussion closed.

gettyimages-515112446-408x640.jpg

28840767_1.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online