• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

We need a modern-day Spider Sabich

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I thought Clint Eastwood was the coolest dude in America after watching Dirty Harry until I saw Spider slalom race. He bumped Clint to #2. A modern-day male-skier role model in the mold of SPIDER SABICH is what America urgently needs. Discussion closed.

28840767_1.jpg
Nobody's cooler than Clint!

...and the runner up

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The hard work and dedication of most of ski racers should be the roll model. A roll model should be about a persons actions not about their appearance or gender. So the question needs to be asked. Is the OP a macho chauvinist looking for the Playboy Skier from his youth?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This scene was panned in Ski magazines, because men weren't supposed to carry women's skis for them.
...Gloria Steinem;)
I would have panned it for the plate bindings and driving her Porsche like a typical woman driver on her way to a wedding gown sale! They should've got Steve McQueen to show him how it's done!

TS
SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Why does it have to be a racer?
It must be a slalom racer because slalom skiing epitomizes skiing. Skiing the moguls the way that Nelson Carmichael did in his prime is a thing of beauty. But slalom racing = skiing.

HB Shakespeare

Booting up
Skier
It must be a slalom racer because slalom skiing epitomizes skiing. Skiing the moguls the way that Nelson Carmichael did in his prime is a thing of beauty. But slalom racing = skiing.

Find a 14-year-old Trevor Lawrence from Grand Rapids Michigan and make him America's and the world's greatest slalom racer. Better than Hansi in his prime. Wheaties Box.

14-year-old Trevor.

Trevor_Lawrence_%28American_football%29_Sept_2017.jpg

trevor-lawrence-clemson-775x465.png

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think the Down Hill Racers have a good reason to be included.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
We have a few in the pipeline. River Radamus is the very real deal, in every single respect. Cool name as well.

One of my favorites in that relative age group, who was a rock star, and at the top of the heap, has made the decision to give up ski racing, and signed a pro cycling contract about 18 months ago. Let's see, pay $75K a year or more to ski, or get paid the same....with a huge upside as a long term career? Easy choice for a great kid. BTW, his dad is a world class ski coach. He was the top rated SL skier in his age group in the world, I believe. Certainly in the USA.

I keep saying, we are loaded with youngish talent. The problem happens when they get handed off to the USST. And that gets compounded when everybody's focus is on making team criteria to get funded, and not on normal progression. That is NOT the way the other federations operate. Just ski fast and get faster....forget your birth year.

Sorry, we don't need Spider. BTW, with his rumored coke habit, he probably would have an issue with WADA. Just a hunch. He was probably not working with a personal chef and nutritionist, let alone following what athletes do these day for conditioning. I would guess that Hircher's six hours a day of work in the off season is a bit different than Spider's. Spider was a chick magnet.....for sure. Bob Beattie had some classic stories. RIP.

BTW, the celebration of Bob's life was held in Aspen today....on the hill with a kid's dual race....as he wanted it.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why does it have to be a racer?
I agree with you. So many of my heroes are those who limp down the hallway of the hall of fame from years of freestyle skiing.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice job on BB Muleski, in the 70’s watching the racing on tv he was just as good as the best racer.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Bobby B was a very unique guy. Enormous energy and heart. He has quite a legacy in the Roaring Fork Valley. I hope it was good day celebrating a great life!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sports needs personality. We had them in skiing in the past with the Steins, Waynes and even Alberto Tombas. Stenmark was the Barry Sanders of the sport, quiet and the consumate professional but cast a huge shadow. Bryce Harper is trying to add some fun back into baseball but keeps getting met with "Thats not the way the game in played"...well maybe it should be. I have a problem with the whole "respect" being demand in some sports, IMHO, respect is earned, at least that what my parents taught me and as @Started at 53 said parents should be the role models, not athletes but I do they can be influncers and encourage the growth of the craft and sport.

GinBuck

What's a mogul?
Skier
I thought Clint Eastwood was the coolest dude in America after watching Dirty Harry until I saw Spider slalom race. He bumped Clint to #2. A modern-day male-skier role model in the mold of SPIDER SABICH is what America urgently needs. Discussion closed.

gettyimages-515112446-408x640.jpg

28840767_1.jpg
Cigarette company sponsored bib...now THAT's '70's!