• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were down this road with lawyers and had to clean up the thread, let's not go down another road with realtors. C'mon people, we're better than this. :nono:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Corgski, I don't teach at Bretton Woods because of what the clients pay. Yes, it's high. Nor do I teach there because of the $$ I earn :roflmao:. No, it's not high. I switched to teaching there (primarily) because the beginner terrain is better. I might be willing to teach at Wildcat, but not this year as my winter lodging is already set.

Cannon and Bretton Woods are a good combo. You get the fun mellow glades at BW and steep trails and moguls at Cannon.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Given that Jack Frost is close to Blue, is the Blue deal off the table? The rumors were rampant this spring that the Vail purchase of Blue was a done deal.
In my view the Blue Mountain customer is a much better Vail target than the Jack Frost pass holder. Not too mention there are a lot more Blue customers!

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is Vail more of a real estate company or a ski resort company? On Thursday I was talking to a friend that owns a home at Hunter and he was saying that the value of his place went up with the purchase and the surrounding area may be getting the boost it needs.

We were just up there and Tannersville is surprisingly ungentrified given it's next to a ski mountain 3.5 hours from the city. Even the ski towns in Maine have more large vacation homes.

James

Out There
Instructor
They will proudly tell you that they are a ski company. When they purchased Stowe, they had the chance to buy all of the real estate and development opportunities and chose not to.
Good to know they’re not going into the hospital business as some think. Buying a ski website for the name is one thing, a hospital is something else.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We were just up there and Tannersville is surprisingly ungentrified given it's next to a ski mountain 3.5 hours from the city. Even the ski towns in Maine have more large vacation homes.
Tannersville was never really a vacation home destination, yes there were condos at Camelback but for the most part, even going back into the 1960-70's it was more reidential. The Pocono Manors, Buck Hills and Skytops have the old large vacation homes that surrounded the huge hotels and golf courses. Remember too, other than the fore mentioned destinations the Poconos were mostly blue collar compared to the while collar Catskills.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Tannersville was never really a vacation home destination, yes there were condos at Camelback but for the most part, even going back into the 1960-70's it was more reidential. The Pocono Manors, Buck Hills and Skytops have the old large vacation homes that surrounded the huge hotels and golf courses. Remember too, other than the fore mentioned destinations the Poconos were mostly blue collar compared to the while collar Catskills.

I thought he meant Tannersville, NY. Not sure what Vail could do to boost either Tannersville.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought he meant Tannersville, NY. Not sure what Vail could do to boost either Tannersville.
I see that now, I was also seeing the post above which talked about Blue and JF/BB which are close to T-ville Pa. My bad.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Tennersvill is barely 2 1/2 hrs from the city, not 3.5 hrs.

And I think that may actually be the reason there’s little vacation home development. It’s close enough to day trip.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tennersvill is barely 2 1/2 hrs from the city, not 3.5 hrs.

And I think that may actually be the reason there’s little vacation home development. It’s close enough to day trip.

Ha we were thinking about visiting our friends in Queens but google said 3 1/2 hours - must have been traffic. To confuse things even more, we were on the Palenville side but same difference. It's a nice area which is why I was surprised when I looked at the home prices.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Ha we were thinking about visiting our friends in Queens but google said 3 1/2 hours - must have been traffic. To confuse things even more, we were on the Palenville side but same difference. It's a nice area which is why I was surprised when I looked at the home prices.
Palenville is at the foot of the mountain road (23 A) if my memory is correct at the top of the mountain road is Haines Falls next comes Tannersville and then is Hunter. When I was renting a ski house for the winter with my friends we always wanted to be at the top of the mountain road so maybe the value is at the top. Because if it snows at night getting to the top of the mountain road can be tuff. Yes, they do a good job keeping that road clean but if you are trying to get first tracks you want to be at the top of the mountain road.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
No. If you want first tracks you should be 30 miles West at Plattekill. But that's for another thread. I am curious to see how this effects Platty.
It is a nice place but only open on the weekend. The extra 30 miles also may take about 45 minutes.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Given that Jack Frost is close to Blue, is the Blue deal off the table? The rumors were rampant this spring that the Vail purchase of Blue was a done deal.
In my view the Blue Mountain customer is a much better Vail target than the Jack Frost pass holder. Not too mention there are a lot more Blue customers!
Being a Killington skier and often a Blue skier in the past, I was kinda hoping Blue went to Ikon.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Mad River vs Mad River.jpg

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Vail Resorts fires folks--any folks--caught not following Ski Patrol rules.

Honestly... I'm not sure which hurts more, the wussification of Wildcat or that both stock, MTN & SKIS are trading high. No Vail (MTN) sell off due to the acquisition meaning the stock holders are happy with the deal.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Really , not to be critical, but it showed that the person at the top was not a skier. I truly hope that Vail puts some soul back into the ski areas especially Attitash. They have been treated poorly for years and have been very loyal and deserve better.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January