• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The thing with the discounts is even if they give you 1/2 price (and I think that they will), it will be 50% off of the undiscounted day ticket price. It's hardly any help at all. They gave us something like 12 half price vouchers last year and I don't think I used any because of that. At half price it's still too much money and you can almost always find a discounted rate that is pretty close.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Have you considered working at WC or Attitash instead of or in addition to Brettonwoods? Maybe that is the way for you to resolve this?
Good idea. Hadn't thought of that. It's over an hour to Wildcat from where I'll be renting. But maybe I could work there on a very limited basis. I can talk to the folks at Wildcat as the season gets close and see what they say. I'm definitely not interested in working at Attitash - again.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Good idea. Hadn't thought of that. It's over an hour to Wildcat from where I'll be renting. But maybe I could work there on a very limited basis. I can talk to the folks at Wildcat as the season gets close and see what they say. I'm definitely not interested in working at Attitash - again.
I have a lot of positive things to say about Bretton Woods, but their lesson pricing is relatively high ($139 per hour) with no discount for multiple hours. Wildcat is $95 for 1 hour private, $200 for 3 hour and $265 for 5 hour private. No idea how this affects instructor remuneration but if an instructor prefers an environment where more time is spent with a client, maybe Wildcat is a good option. Unless of course the purchase by Vail results in changes to the pricing structure.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
@Corgski, I don't teach at Bretton Woods because of what the clients pay. Yes, it's high. Nor do I teach there because of the $$ I earn :roflmao:. No, it's not high. I switched to teaching there (primarily) because the beginner terrain is better. I might be willing to teach at Wildcat, but not this year as my winter lodging is already set.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Corgski, I don't teach at Bretton Woods because of what the clients pay. Yes, it's high. Nor do I teach there because of the $$ I earn :roflmao:. No, it's not high. I switched to teaching there (primarily) because the beginner terrain is better. I might be willing to teach at Wildcat, but not this year as my winter lodging is already set.

First, I've been staying away from ski related stuff since it gives me the itch that can't be scratch for another 4 months.

Second, Wildcat and Attitash has active and popular ski school programs. They have privates and groups but I'm not sure what the volume is compare to the ski schools. Should check them out as options. For the past two seasons, they have been keeping Wildcat ungroomed for the majority of the trails while Attitash has been a grooming paradise. Hope they keep it this way since it keeps both areas unique to one another.

BTW, Wildcat has a low bar in opening up a trail and has a loose policy about ducking rope, skis will wear down faster. Only place where I saw the lead instructor in one of the ski school program tell his students to duck rope to get to the good stuff.

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I know this is a ski talk exclusive forum and I am one that ski’d 100% comp for over 100 days multiple years but I’ve always been a bit reluctant to discuss it on a public forum.

Just me and maybe I’m overly cautious and maybe there are few members here at PugSki who are members of the ticket buying public.

I dunno...but I always kept my free skiing boondoggle to myself.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know this is a ski talk exclusive forum and I am one that ski’d 100% comp for over 100 days multiple years but I’ve always been a bit reluctant to discuss it on a public forum.

Just me and maybe I’m overly cautious and maybe there are few members here at PugSki who are members of the ticket buying public.

I dunno...but I always kept my free skiing boondoggle to myself.
You can always start doing late night infomercials "You too can learn now to ski for free...." ;)

TS
Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Only place where I saw the lead instructor in one of the ski school program tell his students to duck rope to get to the good stuff.

Vail Resorts fires folks--any folks--caught not following Ski Patrol rules.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Is Vail more of a real estate company or a ski resort company? On Thursday I was talking to a friend that owns a home at Hunter and he was saying that the value of his place went up with the purchase and the surrounding area may be getting the boost it needs.

Reactions: BC.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Is Vail more of a real estate company or a ski resort company? On Thursday I was talking to a friend that owns a home at Hunter and he was saying that the value of his place went up with the purchase and the surrounding area may be getting the boost it needs.
One wonders what’s the meaning of “value of his place went up with the purchase“ though.

Did home owners wishfully revised their listings upward on the news?

Or did historical real estate data indicates noticeable uptick of transaction pricing each time Vail purchase a mountain? Stowe/Okemo?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

They will proudly tell you that they are a ski company. When they purchased Stowe, they had the chance to buy all of the real estate and development opportunities and chose not to.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

A boost as in the pricing will make it impossible for locals to still live there?

Uncle-A

Skier
One wonders what’s the meaning of “value of his place went up with the purchase“ though.

Did home owners wishfully revised their listings upward on the news?

Or did historical real estate data indicates noticeable uptick of transaction pricing each time Vail purchase a mountain? Stowe/Okemo?
I don't know what the historical data shows, but the realtors in the area seem to be the ones with a good idea of what will happen.

Uncle-A

Skier
A boost as in the pricing will make it impossible for locals to still live there?
I think he was referring to the A-frame village and develop on the mountain not necessarily in town or Tannersville. But your guess is as good as mine.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I don't know what the historical data shows, but the realtors in the area seem to be the ones with a good idea of what will happen.
Either the realtors had seen the historical data (albeit in other location & other time), or they’re just being real estate salesmen.

If the former, it’ll likely be replicated, even if not to the same extent.

If the latter, they’re just doing their usual of blowing hot air into a bubble.

Uncle-A

Skier
Either the realtors had seen the historical data (albeit in other location & other time), or they’re just being real estate salesmen.

If the former, it’ll likely be replicated, even if not to the same extent.

If the latter, they’re just doing their usual of blowing hot air into a bubble.
I have never had much respect for realtors and having recently sold my previous home it only got worse, so I understand your comment about blowing hot air.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I have never had much respect for realtors and having recently sold my previous home it only got worse, so I understand your comment about blowing hot air.
Given you low estimate of realtors, perhaps you shouldn’t help spread their hot air?

Sponsor

Staff online