• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Vail Buys Stowe Mountain Resort (updated Title)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hate to think of the implications of that. I don't see how they can get by on $799 passes. Hopefully I am wrong.
Follow what happened in other areas.
I know there is some concern about Squaw pass prices after VR bought Northstar to add it to Heavenly in Tahoe on the Epic pass.
Affordable pass pricing means longer lift lines.
Other resorts team up and add complimentary days on premium pass' to compete with the pass structure of VR.
For instance you can get days at Squaw/Alpine on the Sugarbowl pass and vice versa.
@Bobalooski is one member who takes advantage of that.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have the same reaction to that move as Eric. I can't for a minute grasp how this can possibly "work" for Sugarbush. Competing on price with the Epic pass seems to be premature and dare I say foolish. I can't imagine that current pass holders, residents, second home owners and seasonal renters expected this, or that it had to be done.

I hope they have a better handle on this than I suspect they may. I wonder where and how they will try to make up the revenue....or cut expenses.

Wow.

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I know there is some concern about Squaw pass prices after VR bought Northstar to add it to Heavenly in Tahoe on the Epic pass.
Other resorts team up and add complimentary days on premium pass' to compete with the pass structure of VR.
For instance you can get days at Squaw/Alpine on the Sugarbowl pass and vice versa.

And, sadly, the word is next year's Sugar Bowl passes won't include the comp days at Squalpine any longer. :(

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't see how they could possibly bring in enough new pass holders to offset the drop in price.

Nor do I! Just don't get it!

I think it's self preservation, it is just as much as keeping the ones they have. They don't want to loose them to The Epic Stowecal Pass (or whatever they will call it). It is as mch about them spending ony on the hill as it is selling the passes to get them there.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I'm not sure that more season passes means longer lines. All last week there was not a single line despite a full parking lot at Squaw. Maybe Squaw has so much more capacity that it is different - but lift lines are rare there regardless of pass prices. It can be horrible for lines when only part of the mountain is open - but that was true in the expensive pass times as well.

All the cheap passes did was make the ticket sales line more manageable. I've bought day passes and expensive season passes, I love the cheap passes including the MCP. It really improves the experience for me and my guests. Doesn't change the number of times I or my guests ski.

Maybe it does - I'm more likely to go out on a crappy day when it's not crowded. I'll still buy a Gatorade and cookie so the resort gets some benefit. I'm going out on the good (busy) days no matter what.

Lots of vacation plans are made well in advance. The big weekends are fully booked room wise, the parking lot is full and the road is gridlocked. No more people can get to the resort regardless of the season pass price. So the lift lines won't be a whole lot worse with cheap passes.

Cheap passes might bring or keep people in the sport. That cheap pass means that you will take a ski trip instead of a Hawaii trip. More skiers means more spill over to the small resorts - hopefully.

I like cheap passes that apply to multiple areas.

Eric

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm not sure that more season passes means longer lines. All last week there was not a single line despite a full parking lot at Squaw. Maybe Squaw has so much more capacity that it is different - but lift lines are rare there regardless of pass prices. It can be horrible for lines when only part of the mountain is open - but that was true in the expensive pass times as well.
Eric

Squaw is 4000 acres. Stowe is 485. It's a different market. Depending on how you count, Northeast resorts serve a population zone of about 35 million people (fortunately, not all of them ski!)

Killington: 1509 ac.
Sugarloaf: 1400
Smuggs: 1000
Sunday River: 870
Okemo: 632
Stratton: 625
Mount Snow: 588
Sugarbush: 587
Mount Abram: 560
Stowe: 485
Pico: 468
. . .

A Smuggs acquisition would make sense.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Squaw is 4000 acres. Stowe is 485. It's a different market. Depending on how you count, Northeast resorts serve a population zone of about 35 million people (fortunately, not all of them ski!)

Killington: 1509 ac.
Sugarloaf: 1400
Smuggs: 1000
Sunday River: 870
Okemo: 632
Stratton: 625
Mount Snow: 588
Sugarbush: 587
Mount Abram: 560
Stowe: 485
Pico: 468
. . .

A Smuggs acquisition would make sense.

I'm rooting for a Smuggs acquisition if only for the possibility of them then upgrading the lift system. Love the terrain at Smuggs but detest the lifts so I don't ski there.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I assume that SB has had some serious financial modeling going on, and that they have hopefully had some decent consumer insight research to have more than a guess at what may happen. But that costs money, and even then it is far from a guarantee. The assumptions can be wrong, and how the insight is interpreted equally off base. Not perfect. And this is very new ground for Nrw England and VT.

We have probably all seen a variety of businesses who felt that to survive they suddenly had to compete on a gutted price. And a lot of them felt they would make it up on volume. I am struggling to think of one that worked long term. Seriously. The move from quality to "value" is brutal.

With this one, I can assume that they MIGHT hold on to some of that group of day skiers who have no unusual stickiness that would otherwise keep them at SB. I'm not sure. Epic might be a huge draw, let alone Stowe at under $1K.

I guess it all depends on how many season passes are currently sold, and to whom. Many factors.

I know a lot of second home owners in that area, and they would not move regardless of the price pass. I know a lot of people connected to the race programs at various ages. Same thing. I know a lot of people who day trip from Chittenden County, and I think many might now head to Stowe, but a few are very concerned with weekend and holiday crowds. On hil capacity as well as General logistics. I doubt if matching price is the silver bullet to keep them. I don't know if they they need to. For a SB skier, I think Stowe has a few question marks.

I should note that all of these friends are weekend skiers for the most part. If you can ski midweek, and do so at Stowe on an Epic pass, that seems very attractive to the Cittenden County crowd.

So, yes, I don't see how his hangs together for Sugarbush. Or why they feel like they need to go this far.

Might as well start the rumor that Win is in a panic and that the place is about to become actively for sale. When O-Z closes on the CNL sale, and starts to sell those properties off, an organization like Boyne might want to take a run at SB, and not be intimidated by VR. It seems based on this move like consolidating with others might be on the table or close.

My gut and experience just screams at me that this is a very strange strategy for SB. Maybe they have been researching this since the rumors started in fall, and are very comfortable that this is the only way to go.

Does anybody know on a weekend day what percentage of those on the hill are skiing with a season pass? That factors into it, as well.

I do not see this as the norm, BTW. Every NE ski area that I am familiar with is operating on a thin margin in the best of years. Combine that with almost no new skiers{you have to steal them from somebody else} old, aging lifts and decaying infrastructure and this solution to gut price is perplexing to me.

What makes it really interesting is that a number of us are at least curious about what Stowe will look like on an average weekend day. I skied there most weekends of my life until we pulled up roots in 1994. And we have been back 2-3 times a season since, in most years. I thought the changes were sugnificant {some VERY positive} before VR entered the picture. Now....just curious.

It is already so much different than it was not all that long ago. I chuckle when I think about my old parking spots,etc.

Will others drop price? Smuggs? Jay? Burke or even Bolton? Very interesting. Kind of scary to my thinking.....Does this pressure Okemo, K, and even the Southern VT areas? Not sure why it would. It seems very premature.

Friends of mine who own homes in Stowe are not on a tight budget. To be honest, if this goes sideways in terms of numbers, I can see a number pulling up stakes even though they love Stowe. And frankly I can see them heading down the road.

This is nothing like the rest of the VR portfolio, and I just do not see the "feeder" aspect of this one. A month ago I was in Aspen with two Stowe couples who hate Vail, and petty much every Vail property. No interest even if free.

This will be interesting. We were very close to buying property in Stowe last summer. Glad that is on hold. As long as most of my skiing is still on weekends, this thing bears watching for me.

I don't think it is anything like Squaw, either. I have a reasonable handle on that one, too, people who buy season passes in NE use them. I think the numbers show quite a bit.

BTW, the numbers, decay and aging are what had really prevented any of the bigger current players from making deals in NE. It gets "real"
when you hear these guys list some well known and fairly big areas that they would not "take on for free....." Take those areas and cut your price. How is that going to work?

We'll see!

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Does this pressure Okemo, K, and even the Southern VT areas? Not sure why it would.

It has already — Sunapee just announced 2017-18 pass prices. The top tier is no-blackout, unlimited Sunapee/Okemo (both) for $899 ($50 cheaper than the second tier pass from last year). Okemo hasn't announced, but it has to be the same price. Not a huge difference (when you price out all the factors), but a price drop.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Here's Okemo — Early purchase $1139, with added features:

2017/18 Ultimate Season Pass
Benefits:

• Ski and ride every day at Okemo and Mount Sunapee. No blackout days.
  • 7:45 am Okemo lift access on weekends and holiday periods.
  • 3 complimentary Killington lift tickets, vaild December 1, 2017 - April 15, 2018.
  • 4 Okemo buddy tickets at $59.00 each
  • Winter 2017-18 Nordic Center season pass
  • Winter 2017-18 Ice House season pass
  • Summer 2017 Adventure Zone season pass (one wristband per day, per pass holder)
  • Summer 2017 Evolution Bike Park season pass (trail access)
  • 20% off retail at Okemo Snowsports, Snowboard and Mountain Outfitters Shops. Some restrictions apply.
  • 20% discount on preferred parking
  • 25% discount on Spring House membership
  • Our NEW Pass Protection Program (PPP) is available for this product. Protect your investment against the unforeseen.
  • Qualifies for the M.A.X. Pass Add-on

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Its interesting that there is a disclaimer on Stowe's inclusion on the Epic Local pass
PERFECT FOR PEOPLE WHO CAN NAVIGATE A PASS WITH RESTRICTIONS

Unlimited, unrestricted skiing or riding at Breckenridge, Keystone, Wilmot, Afton Alps, Mt. Brighton and Arapahoe Basin with limited restrictions at Park City, Heavenly, Northstar, and Kirkwood. Also includes a total of 10 days at Vail, Beaver Creek, Whistler Blackcomb, and Stowe (subject to the closing of the acquisition) with holiday restrictions. Half-off pass holder tickets available for purchase during blackout dates at Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That simple 7 word disclaimer tells me a story. Not a bedtime story, a different kind of story. It begins with VR falling all over themselves announcing acquisition of Stowe because it gets stock analysts to go all ga ga and that has a blinding effect on VR execs. AIG sees the gun jumping so their Executive Committee realizes an opportunity to act all tough in front of each other, and with VR, on any and alll remaining transaction and closing issues, with no negative consequence to them. After a long and grueling transaction, each side is looking to make the other their bitch. It's personal.

VR, after the first salvo wakes up and realizes they're kind of exposed and not in a good way and tries to bluster and disclaim their way onto more solid footing. That includes the 7 words now appearing. But it's to no avail. They might as well wear crotchless panties until closing.

And maybe a few lived happily ever after.

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd be for giving them say Newfoundland or Iceland if they'd leave here and stay there.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
In my world, asset sales with a moderate amount of complexity took roughly 2-4 weeks to paper. And that included the pre-attorneys terms discussions. A major motivator for both sides is accumulating attorney's fees. So 4 months of asset sale documentation would typically be crazy but then we don't know all the moving parts. Still, insurance companies are generally awful in a process like this and VR probably ain't a model of function either.

I think in VR's case, there would be in-house lawyers for these processes.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think in VR's case, there would be in-house lawyers for these processes.
Transactional practice of this scale would not be done in house. They wouldn't be able to justify the expense associated with nor keep busy this kind of high value specialty. If they were to miscalculate and want to try it their board would object.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online