• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unbuckled boots

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Who skis with unbuckled boots?

How much unbuckled - a couple loose to everything including the power strap undone?

How frequently - rarely or always a few runs per day or always?

If an instructor do you get students to do this? What type of students? What type of runs?

James

Out There
Instructor
The top 2. Booster is on. I liked the Fischer race boot because the top buckles have a bale above the grooves to hold the buckle in the groove. That way it doesn't come out, flop around and possibly break or get ripped off on hard snow. I've lost one before.

Prob spent half of last season unbuckled. It's not optimal. Sonetimes I go to just the lower cuff buckled.
Runs? Almost all types. I had to try and tape the cuff/clog part to kerp snow out on pow days.

It's an attempt to circumvent a boot issue.
You will feel it in your calves for awhile. You also get pitched forward in soft snow at times.

Students? No, but for another instructor I would. This being the US, everyone is terrified of recommending anything like that. I didn't have time to brow beat the two people with frozen ankles I wanted to try it with.
Other issue is it works well with lace up liners. Without, it's a little different I'd imagine. Booster is key - Booster is flexible.

Otherwise, try it.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually all four unbuckled. I usually pull the pants gaiter over the top buckle to keep out the snow. If the gaiter is snug then only three. Expert Booster strap inside the shell up against the liner tongue.

Sometimes I go weeks without buckling my boots.

Not an instructor. .I believe @LiquidFeet voiced some liability concerns regarding students in the past.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
On my B2 Raptors they only need to be buckled enough to keep the snow out. Does that count? ;)

But seriously, what are the "good" things this does for your skiing (for those of you that do)? And I'm not talking about using this as a drill to develop balance awareness. I mean keeping your boots unbuckled for your full day of skiing. Warmer feet? Probably, but what about the ability to control the skis precisely?

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The good - Even though the connection between the feet and the boot is looser. I am more sensitive to my skis. Better feel for what the skis are doing. Improved snow and terrain feel.

Controlling the skis precisely? Precisely enough for me.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think to properly answer the question why I ski with unbuckled boots. I would have to take a step back and ask myself, “Why do I ski?”

I can only speak for myself. I ski for fun. To have a good time. The enjoyment and sensation aspects of it.
I don’t race, so time is not critical to me. Time, I have. In the short term, anyway.
It relaxes me and allows me to flow with the terrain. It’s more of a flowy feeling activity rather than one with hard impact. Often time skiers need to put the hammer down to get out the aggression. I don’t have a requirement for that. Some skier go out to beat the mountain. Me, I am here to dance. Don’t need all that control and precision. Just the flow and the travel.

Think of it this way, we are all here to paint the Mona Lisa.

Mona Lisa.jpg

Some will be more comfortable starting with this.

Mona Lisa Number.jpg

Me, I like to start with this.

Blank Canvas.jpg

Sometimes, my Mona Lisa looks like this.

Mona Lisa Off.jpg

But that is all good. Had a good time in the process. That's all that matters.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I "forget" to buckle about as often as I forget to lock in "ski" mode.

That's about every day.

But as long as I keep searching to go down the mountain, I don't do so badly...

When hauling sleds, I check my buckles!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Top loose bottom tight... Only buckle down the top when feeling frisky or about to take a NASTAR run.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All four unbuckled, but in place, for the first few runs in the resort. Several instructors advised that I do this. I keep my gaiters up to remind myself to buckle.

My instep buckles often come undone on their own, and I'm too lazy to fine-tune them, so there are days that they're flopping around.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
All four unbuckled (but in place), booster strap tight.

100% of the time, except when running gates.

All over the mountain (east/west/Europe/NZ).

Why? It's more comfortable, more convenient, and doesn't greatly hinder my ability to do what I want on snow...

CoPow

Putting on skis
Skier
Every boot is different. It could be super tight that you need to unbuckle every run. Or it could be so loose no amount of buckling hard don't make them tight enough. In any case the purpose of OP is making the balance challenging for warm up. Unbuckling probably works, so do other things. Doesn't really matter as long as it's working, imo.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I’ve skied with them unbuckled (well, hooked into the first notch but not closed). I took a half dozen runs like that to start the season just to find balance and feel my ankles working again, etc.

The first turn after buckling was like having a Ferrari on my feet instead of a Yugo. :)

I still ski unbuckled occasionally if I’m not feeling it, etc. (Or to win a bet one time from a friend who didn’t believe I could do it...).

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
--My feet are very low volume, super narrow & flat. If I leave that forefoot buckle unbuckled, my forefoot & heel lift when I tip the skis.
--I have an extremely narrow ankle, heel, and lower leg. If I leave the bottom cuff buckle unbuckled, my heel lifts when I tip the skis.
--I have a huge range of dorsiflexion. Those tongues against my shins support my hypermobile ankles so they don't fold forward to a dangerous degree.
--No, I'm not in a race plug, but I am in a performance boot with aftermarket Zip Fits and have a very snug fit. Race plugs would be too cold for my Reynaud's Syndrome, although probably would provide a better fit.
--For these reasons I am not one to ski with boots unbuckled. This is personal, of course.

There's a reason manufacturers make boots with metal buckles and clogs and cuffs composed of stiff plastic. Those qualities must benefit most of the skiing public.

Perhaps the people who do benefit from skiing with boots unbuckled do that because of some aspect of their foot/lower leg anatomy. Maybe they lucked out in being able to purchase boots whose shell corresponds very well to their foot shape, and they are not plagued by foot hypermobility.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online