• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Unbuckled boots

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't remember the last time I actually booted up at my vehicle. I always walk to the lodge in street shoes/boots and boot up there, even if it's hard to find a good spot.
I used to. Less energy expended not carrying the whole bag (which is almost impossible to manage on the little school buses they use for shuttles) or boots on a string digging in to my neck.. And, the boots are cold by the time I get there. Then it adds another 10 minutes finding a spot to sit then finding a place to stash the bag or shoes if I left the bag at the car. Then at the end of a long day, when I'm already tired having to haul that extra weight on my back or neck back to the car sucks. If I'm more than about 500 yards from the lodge I'm only carrying skis and poles.

Bendzeekneez

Putting on skis
Skier
Who skis with unbuckled boots?

How much unbuckled - a couple loose to everything including the power strap undone?

How frequently - rarely or always a few runs per day or always?

If an instructor do you get students to do this? What type of students? What type of runs?
Yes.

Usually all buckles, on the ladder but not tightened. I use a boot that has guards on the top two. WC Booster Strap done up as normal, snug.

Most days I ski this way, in all conditions and runs. Will buckle up when I want the full performance out of the boots. It's a WC 150 always tight wouldn't work for me.

I use it with my instructor trainees, long term and long time clients.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes.

Usually all buckles, on the ladder but not tightened. I use a boot that has guards on the top two. WC Booster Strap done up as normal, snug.

Most days I ski this way, in all conditions and runs. Will buckle up when I want the full performance out of the boots. It's a WC 150 always tight wouldn't work for me.

I use it with my instructor trainees, long term and long time clients.

So similar to the way McGlashan thinks about using stiffer boots. (This came out recently).

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Yes.
For some of us, it's senility. :ogbiggrin:
+1
Actually, I buckle the top two down to keep my heel in the pocket and the buckles from hanging up on my pants, snug the Booster, and leave the foot unbuckled most of the time.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Why would you? I've forgotten and started my day a few times with them bucked 1 notch too loose and had to stop after 4 or 5 turns because my feet move but the boots & skis don't.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Why would you? I've forgotten and started my day a few times with them bucked 1 notch too loose and had to stop after 4 or 5 turns because my feet move but the boots & skis don't.
It helps one ski with more finesse.

Bendzeekneez

Putting on skis
Skier
So similar to the way McGlashan thinks about using stiffer boots. (This came out recently).

Any good skier I have witnessed seems to do similar. My Thought is why do I need all 150 flex when demoing intermediate turns? Unbuckle until needed. The boot is as customizable as ski /turn/speed. People assume the boot has to be a certain "snugness" all the time for it to be useful, that's like skiing the same turn shape everywhere....in my opinion.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I like how Blister emphasizes the term "suspension" in reference to skis and boots. With boots, they must provide adequate suspension for the kind of skiing we're doing. By adjusting the buckles and power strap tension, you're changing the stiffness of the suspension of the boot (similar to cars that have the ability to modify their ride). You can easily soften the suspension (responsiveness) of a boot through the way it is buckled, but you're never going to be able to make it stiffer than what it is capable of. This is the primary reason why I ski in 130/140/150 flex shells. The boot is there for support and to translate your input movements to the skis. In certain conditions, a very responsive boot can be more of a liability if you're not on your game... It's good to remember that you can step it back by loosening the strap and top buckle.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
Usually all four unbuckled. I usually pull the pants gaiter over the top buckle to keep out the snow. If the gaiter is snug then only three. Expert Booster strap inside the shell up against the liner tongue.

Sometimes I go weeks without buckling my boots.

Not an instructor. .I believe @LiquidFeet voiced some liability concerns regarding students in the past.
Your just too Lazy to buckle them up!!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Your just too Lazy to buckle them up!!

1608090296897.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been told that when you have them buckled a light on your helmet goes on.
No one’s ever seen this light...

TBH, a few have seen the light go on. They just didn't lived long enough to tell. :ogbiggrin: