• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellies' Bump Lesson Speed Control and Line Control video is Outstanding!

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've watched all of Tom Gellies free videos-love 'em. I particularly love how clear, detailed, (and honest) he is about the fitness requirements of high level mogul skiing. However, as this thread has become a question of how to Ski New England and Adirondack bumps---I'll offer up these three videos. I know, they're all filmed in soft powder Colorado bumps. BUT, the turn that Bobby Alligheri demonstrates in the first video (a super-sub radius steered turn), is the bedrock turn of mastering tightest and nastiest moguls...period. Everyone I know who kills east coast bumps (and I mean kills 'em)-owns this turn (along with a pretty versatile old-school edge-set). On another note-I really like Deb Armstrong's youtube channel-great no nonsense ski advice.

Taking that turn into the moguls:

I love this tick tock drill-it really helps with those long, flat icy stretches we often get between one line of moguls and the next

Last edited:

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've watched all of Tom Gellies free videos-love 'em. I particularly love how clear, detailed, (and honest) he is about the fitness requirements of high level mogul skiing. However, as this thread has become a question of how to Ski New England and Adirondack bumps---I'll offer up these three videos. I know, they're all filmed in soft powder Colorado bumps. BUT, the turn that Bobby Alligheri demonstrates in the first video (a super-sub radius steered turn), is the bedrock turn of mastering tightest and nastiest moguls...period. Everyone I know who kills east coast bumps (and I mean kills 'em)-owns this turn (along with a pretty versatile old-school edge-set). On another note-I really like Deb Armstrong's youtube channel-great no nonsense ski advice.

I love this tick tock drill-it really helps with those long, flat icy stretches we often get between one line of moguls and the next

Love those 3 videos...best ones I've found out there that are free...

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
(03) Well, if you are insistent in hurting yourself, I can teach it to ya (for a fee, of course.)

I have also noticed the phrase "For the athletic types." As in when a ski instructor describes a student's skiing as "athletic". It is not a good thing.

Kind of puzzled with this response. Are you saying the only correct way for a guy whose a ski instructing legend to earn a dollar is at $12.50 per hour working for a resort monopoly ski school? If not what you meant why bring up "for a fee"?

On "athletic", there's nothing in his on snow vid lessons that I as a 64 y/o of fairly modest fitness 'n athletic ability wouldn't attempt because it was too physical or too scary. The only thing I've come across in those vids that I flat out wouldn't do is in dryland training - dragon pistol squats. In fact no to pistol squats of any kind for me - that boat sailed long ago. The rest of his dryland stuff is fine.

My understanding - from a brief conversation with him on the topic - is that he's evolving a skiing technique that best utilises the way the body works naturally (i.e. without overstraining) that can be used to ski at good performance into older age.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of puzzled with this response. Are you saying the only correct way for a guy whose a ski instructing legend to earn a dollar is at $12.50 per hour working for a resort monopoly ski school? If not what you meant why bring up "for a fee"?

On "athletic", there's nothing in his on snow vid lessons that I as a 64 y/o of fairly modest fitness 'n athletic ability wouldn't attempt because it was too physical or too scary. The only thing I've come across in those vids that I flat out wouldn't do is in dryland training - dragon pistol squats. In fact no to pistol squats of any kind for me - that boat sailed long ago. The rest of his dryland stuff is fine.

My understanding - from a brief conversation with him on the topic - is that he's evolving a skiing technique that best utilises the way the body works naturally (i.e. without overstraining) that can be used to ski at good performance into older age.

Those are not MY responses. Those are my translation of his politically correct responses.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Here's the interesting thing. In the "3 mogul fundamentals" Bobby demonstrates at least one of the items Tom Gellie covers in his vid. Namely that bit about pivoting from the ski tail mentioned by Mike:
finishing with a pivot point (fulcrum) on the tail of the ski to aid the entry into the top of the next turn

He uses that technique in a number of the turns in the run at the start of the vid.

@Mike King and @Tim Hodgson - would you agree?

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Geepers and Mike, et al.:

Bobby does not show the stay high drill like Gellie does.
So, I would always be late if I learned only from Bobby's video.
Bobby totally omits Gellie's discussion of how, where and when to edge which is part of employing the stay high movement on the how, where and when on the topography of an actual bump.

Bobby's short turns on the groomers are awesome.
Bobby's bump turns in the bump runs are awesome.
After watching Gellie's video, I see now that those two types of turns are totally, totally, totally different.
Which I would not have recognized but for the Gellie video.

Watching Bobby's groomer short turns, it is obvious that he is very, very, very actively making/creating forces by actively edging, pressuring and rotating.
The in-the-bump runs type of turns which Bobby actually uses and which Gellie also uses are more of a managing-forces type of turn and are much less an actively-created forces type of turn. I would have missed that without Gellie's video.
This is where bump topography and Gellie's tail pivot turn comes in.

Geepers and Mike, now that Gellie has taught me how to see it, I do see the tail pivot turn in both Bobby's and Gellie's bump skiing.
But Gellie actually talks about it as well as demonstrating it and running the video back and forth and drawing arrows and curved lines on the screen over the movement to show the edge pressure and rotation as well as the momentum which is created by the skier's mass and how, where and when that mass momentum is used to pivot both the tail and the tip on the bump topography.

If you want to see tail pivot in action, watch the Takao Insanely Fast Feet video above.
To my relatively inexperienced eye, which is now somewhat better educated by Gellie, Takao uses ONLY tail pivots in that bump skiing video and totally foregoes tip/entry pivots (and thus forgoes the speed reduction which tip/entry pivots provide). That is why Takao is skiing so friggin' fast in that video. My goal is not to ski insanely fast in the bumps. I have knees which I would like to preserve.

Bottom line: I love Deb Armstrong. And I really like her videos. An in-person lesson with Deb or Bobby would be awesome. An in-person lesson with Tom Gellie would be awesome.

But comparing video learning by patching together seven minute free videos on youtube versus Tom Gellie's high production value teaching progression videos?
Tom Gellie's videos are cheaper if you value your time and if you actually want to learn something. Period.

Gellie is clear, he shows every step in minute detail. He alternates between dry land in studio static demo and on snow dynamic demo. Each step logically builds on the prior step. That's why it is called a "progression." He no doubt has spent thousands of dollars on video cameras, computers and video editing software. And no doubt he has spent many thousands of hours staring at a computer screen editing his videos. And reshooting them when he wasn't completely happy with their first iteration.

I am also going to go out on a limb here. I could be wrong, but I don't think Tom Gellie was one of those skiing phenoms who started a ski discipline at seven years old and, thus, learned innately and intuitively how, where, what to do to ski great.

I think Tom Gellie went on a personal quest to learn to become a phenomenal skier and, in doing so, he used the scientific approach to examine how great skiers move on terrain to ski greatly, he analyzed those movements, he talked to great skiers in his Podcast Garden ski podcast, he experimented in his own personal skiing and actually learned what did and did not work and then thought about what worked and what didn't and why. He skied with and taught with all the big name Rookie Academy technical skiers in NZ and elsewhere. He taught thousands of hours and likely thousands of students. And (I surmise) because he came at skiing and teaching the thinking way, Gellie can and does transfer that knowledge effectively via video. Video teaching required a very specific skill set which Gellie clearly has which allows him to explain, teach and demo skiing in a very, very, very progressive and, thus, effective way on video.

Tom Gellie's goal, it appears to me, was not to become an Olympian but to become a phenomenal skier and teacher.

INHO, Tom has achieved that. And he deserves to be make an income from it.

Personally, I know that I like to be paid for teaching.

Sometimes I think that some of those videos on youtube are actually made to make everything look easier than it is just to create enthusiasm for the sport of skiing or for a particular resort or to obtain students for the profession, rather than to actually convey information. A good of example of this is the old PSIA "Go with a Pro" video series. I mean, really, it says what the video series if for right in the name...

You and Me versus Tom. Free market exchange of my money freely give in return for value from Tom -- one free man to another in the Milton Friedman or Ayn Rand sense.

* I am nowhere near the skier or teacher that Tom Gellie is. But this reminds me of what my ski school director confided to me on the chair when he hired me 22 years ago, "You know Tim the best skiers don't always make the best instructors." That person is now one of the Senior Directors at one of Vail's well known Colorado resorts. Personally, I think I can become a much better teacher watching Gellie's videos, so I am deducting the cost. Maybe his videos can make you a better instructor too.

Last edited:

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
What I see in Bobby and Takao's videos beyond just those linked in this thread is reasonably similar when they are making short turns at slower speeds and both look like what many skilled smooth recreational bump skiers that ski long fall lines are doing and have been doing for decades. But one needs to stop looking at the competition bump videos where speed is a judged factor that tends to dominate media and tv.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Mike King and @Tim Hodgson - absolutely agree that the gap between Tom's and Bobby's vids is vast. It was specifically the tail pivot I was pointing out.

Bobby is a fine bump skier with that WC direct line approach. But it's been pointed out that he doesn't ski the way he says he does in that pinch-the-grape drill. In that drill:
1. He moves his weight on to the inside ski which is back up the hill and counter to CoM continuing to move down the hill
2. He drags his new inside ski tail to provide a turning moment and even rotates his new outside shoulder in order to get that quick ski pivot at the top of the turn
3. And only then does he pinch the grape
Not the way he actually skis where he initiates turns using techniques like the tail pivot.

Contrast that with Tom's vids where he and his students apply exactly what they've learnt in the drills to improve their skiing.

BTW Tim - Got to agree that Tom'svid should help ski instructors. Kicking myself that I delayed watching Tom's vids until after my most recent attempt at CSIA L3 Teach assessment. Assigned to teach bumps. Got improvements with 2 out of 4 of the 'students' and the stuff in the vid would likely have made a big difference for the other 2. Unfortunately 2 skiing better out of 4 is not good enough. :doh:

Last edited:

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Very fun discussion and thanks to all who have posted videos. It's nice to focus on our sport in these trying times and to get good things to think about. In answer to some things raised in the discussion:

Having spent quite a few summers at Treble Cone in New Zealand, I've found the snow to be firm in general, and the powder to be quite heavy, Sierra-cement style. Sometimes it's a lot like skiing through molasses when it's fresh! Nothing insane, however. TC is also one of the more challenging areas, with fewer groomers than most . Most of the other ski areas on the south island are quite heavily groomed and less challenging. The bumps, in general, are usually quite well shaped; very few sharp cut offs or "cliffs" down the back. Of course, that may be largely because TC tends to attract reasonably skilled skiers who know how to ski them! Australia is known to be more variable in regards its snow cover and quality.

Having skied quite a bit with Tom, I can confirm that he is, indeed, a student of the sport in all ways. He is also a trained kinesiologist, so he is very knowledgeable in knowing how the bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments actually work together. That's probably one reason his explanations are so precise. He was not a ski prodigy when young, but is the result of years of continual dedication to improvement, both as a skier and a coach.

By the way, Tom has a terrific series of podcasts online called "Global Skiing." He interviews notables of the sport including JF Beaulieu, Reilly McGlashan, Harald Harb, Richie Berger, Jonathan Ballou, Paul Lorenz, Jurij Franko (developer of the Elan SCX), Ron LeMaster, etc. Definitely a fun way to spend some time!

Be well and be safe!

Best!
Mike

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Mike King and @Tim Hodgson - absolutely agree that the gap between Tom's and Bobby's vids is vast. It was specifically the tail pivot I was pointing out.

Bobby is a fine bump skier with that WC direct line approach. But it's been pointed out that he doesn't ski the way he says he does in that pinch-the-grape drill. In that drill:
1. He moves his weight on to the inside ski which is back up the hill and counter to CoM continuing to move down the hill
2. He drags his new inside ski tail to provide a turning moment and even rotates his new outside shoulder in order to get that quick ski pivot at the top of the turn
3. And only then does he pinch the grape
Not the way he actually skis where he initiates turns using techniques like the tail pivot.

Contrast that with Tom's vids where he and his students apply exactly what they've learnt in the drills to improve their skiing.

BTW Tim - Got to agree that Tom'svid should help ski instructors. Kicking myself that I delayed watching Tom's vids until after my most recent attempt at CSIA L3 Teach assessment. Assigned to teach bumps. Got improvements with 2 out of 4 of the 'students' and the stuff in the vid would likely have made a big difference for the other 2. Unfortunately 2 skiing better out of 4 is not good enough. :doh:
good on you, @geepers. L3 is a tough nut to crack, but it's great you gave it a go

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
good on you, @geepers. L3 is a tough nut to crack, but it's great you gave it a go

And plan to keep giving it a go until I either make the grade or can't stand up on skis. ;)

Having spent quite a few summers at Treble Cone in New Zealand, I've found the snow to be firm in general, and the powder to be quite heavy, Sierra-cement style. Sometimes it's a lot like skiing through molasses when it's fresh! Nothing insane, however. TC is also one of the more challenging areas, with fewer groomers than most . Most of the other ski areas on the south island are quite heavily groomed and less challenging. The bumps, in general, are usually quite well shaped; very few sharp cut offs or "cliffs" down the back. Of course, that may be largely because TC tends to attract reasonably skilled skiers who know how to ski them! Australia is known to be more variable in regards its snow cover and quality.

My experience with NZ is fairly limited and not recent - last time was back in 2003. However my take on it is that it is similar to Australia. Highly dependent on the specific week/s of the trip and even the specific season. In recent years have noticed a tendency for the snow bearing weather systems to be either/or. Either they makes deposits in Australia with little happening in NZ or slide by leaving nothing in Oz and arrive in NZ. Both countries ski resorts operate close to zero so there's a high chance of putting up with melt/freeze at any time in the season.

In terms of terrain (and my experience in NZ is limited to Treble, Cardrona, Coronet and Remarkables) it's similar to Australia. Both countries have good entertaining black diamond runs but I've yet to find any real dbl blacks. Not like the dbl blacks in places like Whistler and SilverStar and to a certain extent in Sun Peaks.

In Australia these days a deep enough snow accumulation for decent sized bumps tends to happen later in the season. Early season there are often much smaller - at least compared to the ones I remember back in the day. There are still frequent days when melt/freeze make even smaller bumps on milder runs a mofo experience. Dentists luv those days.

And there are days of pow of varying quality.

Last few seasons I've skied months at a time in BC, Canada. They are not immune to melt/freeze and days at a time of hard snow with few venturing out onto the sloping coral. Fortunately they get a good percentage of fine snow. It's too deep and too fluffy - so nobody go there, you won't like it.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
What I see in Bobby and Takao's videos beyond just those linked in this thread is reasonably similar when they are making short turns at slower speeds and both look like what many skilled smooth recreational bump skiers that ski long fall lines are doing and have been doing for decades. But one needs to stop looking at the competition bump videos where speed is a judged factor that tends to dominate media and tv.

One of the reason Bob A. can ski a more direct line, he can control his speed by using the front of the ski and the upcoming face of the bump. In the competition-centric approach, this is one of the main emphasis. Skiing a direct line does take some amount of athleticism for quick timing and managing your absorption range but that athleticism does not have to be competition elite level. IMO, just focusing on the turns alone effectively limits another method to control speed.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
OK, here's a super short video of a bump run at Wildcat. It doesn't feature a skier; it just shows a view of the run. Hairball is part of a long former lift line. It's narrow and has some notable boulders in it. Whoever skis this without stopping to think is a skier of very high skill.

I'd like to hear an analysis of how such a skier does something like this, non-stop, bump by bump. A video with comments done in the way Tom Gellie does his would be most excellent. By the way, this video was taken on a good snow day. Most of our New England days are not like that. A few days after this video was taken, the boulders would be visible with hard-snow bumps in between and around them.

Yes, this section of this old lift line is extreme if you care about your skis. Many of those bumps below the videographer are covering boulders.

Been on that trail just once or maybe twice, it was brutal. Wildcat has a couple of trails like that so I get them confused. Only time I saw a skier that can go non stop was someone who can hop turn at a drop of dime.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Been on that trail just once or maybe twice, it was brutal. Wildcat has a couple of trails like that so I get them confused. Only time I saw a skier that can go non stop was someone who can hop turn at a drop of dime.
Hairball is indeed exceptional because it's so narrow, so I apologize for that. There's a massive boulder blocking almost the whole width of it about a third of the way down, with room for only one luge line down around it on the left (as I recall from my one time skiing it). Getting passed on that run seems unlikely.

But I have been passed on Black Cat at Wildcat, and it's bumps are similar to those on Hairball. Actually they get bigger because there's more traffic. I wish I could have found an online image of Black Cat's bumps. The pitch is simliar to Hairball, the boulder field beneath the snow is similar, and like Hairball it has a massive clump of boulders half way down. But the trail is wider and longer so there's room for passing. I'm always passed on Black Cat, because I stop a lot. I'm envious.

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read the thread.

Tim and others have convinced me that the Gellie videos are great, and maybe even worth the $50 (for one month).

I have no trouble agreeing that good bump skiing and instruction demonstrated on well-formed bumps in nice snow is useful, and largely transferable to less ideal conditions, as far as it goes.

That said, I am totally picking up what people like @LiquidFeet are laying down here with regard to the Northeast. The issue is not with Gellie any more than with any of the other superb models out there who understandably - ahem - choose to film their stuff in western N.A. but more with some of the reactions from the peanut gallery here. So yes, it's thread drift. Sue me.

Several of you, including @Mike King and @SSSdave have made comments to the effect of "Well, we get bad conditions in the bumps here, too. You've just got to be smart enough not to go out on those days, or wait 'til the sun comes out and softens things." Now to me this just proves our point, which is that sometimes you guys just don't get it. We often have conditions like that that go on for weeks without cease. I've got news for you: The sun coming out in Maine means NOTHING until April. If it means anything, it means it's going to be extra cold and frozen, because that's the weather we get in the winter under clear skis. Clouds and storms are what bring warmth here. Whether they bring rain or snow just depends on the cruel Gods. Moreover, our traffic per acre of bumps is far, far higher than at big western areas with bowls and wide trails and sparse trees. So if we're going to ski bumps here at all we're going to ski crappy bumps a lot of the time. Skiing crappy bumps is MUCH HARDER than skiing nice bumps. So it's totally reasonable for us to wish that someone would demonstrate that skill once in a while.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Just read the thread.
..Skiing crappy bumps is MUCH HARDER than skiing nice bumps. So it's totally reasonable for us to wish that someone would demonstrate that skill once in a while.

More rants on this thread or board won't change anyone's opinion. Like I commented earlier, next ski season let's see some close-up images of your so-called bumps if they are indeed different than Western bumps under admittedly less common dry period freeze thaw cycles when lots of bump skiers pound down. Take some pictures with your smartphones or digital cameras. I've already posted lots of images of moguls on this board beyond a few linked in this thread. Anything more is just opinions from attitudes.

Sponsor

Staff online