• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom Gellies' Bump Lesson Speed Control and Line Control video is Outstanding!

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
At $50/month, access to Tom Gellie's bigpictureskiing.com video library is expensive. Unless you plan to binge watch and cancel after a month or two. Which is certainly an option given the Govt's current order to shelter-in-place.

(Hopefully his lesson series will be so successful that he can reduce his price or provide an introductory first month's reduced price offer.)

But IMHO, his speed control and line control video for bumps is simply outstanding.

Watching Tom demonstrate his technique and then watching his students objectively get better as they try to mimic his technique is inspiring.

I am always actively looking for ways to improve my personal skiing and to improve my teaching and there is much that I can take away from Tom Gellie's bump video for both.

So, since I am now subscribed, I look forward to watching more.

1586206278740.png

1586207014654.png

Tom Gellie: "So guys, after talking about ... is that 'new information' to you?"
Students: "Yep." "Yes, absolutely."
Me: Well, it was for me too!

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Tim, make sure you watch the first bump lesson. It lays out a lot of other stuff that hugely compliments the new bump lesson video. And the fore/aft videos are fantastic as well. Actually, I don't think there's anything I've watched that didn't take my understanding to a different level.

IMHO, this is so much better than Projected Productions. The Projected Productions stuff is useful to see great skiing, but these videos are different -- they integrate a lot of the individual pieces in a way that is amazing. And more productive for me -- it's not just drills; it's integrated technique for the advanced skier.

BTW, Tim, Chloe from the video is an Aspen pro and member of Team 1 for the Aspen Divas. Those women rock and won the Aspen World Synchronized Skiing Championship last year. If not for the current shutdown, I'd be running the competition again this weekend...

Mike

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I love Tom Gellie's instruction. He's such an iconoclast. He blows misconceptions to pieces. He explains everything so clearly, going step by step into the underlying reasons, making it very understandable. At the same time, he has great respect for the intelligence of his audience. For approximations of skiing mechanics that we may have been exposed to in the past, he substitutes more complete, accurate descriptions that should greatly boost performance for the diligent student at any level.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
The videos are an hour and a half long? Is it pretty much just someone filming a whole lesson or what?

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Others who have seen more of the videos will hopefully chime in, but the Bump Lesson above which I watched is a true lesson "progression." Meaning it starts with two students who are IMHO/experience truly students and they and Tom ski bumps together so you see the "before" in their skiing. Then, on the snow, Tom shows the first desired movement, which is usually referred to as a "static" demo and clearly explains the function of the movement and where in the turn and where on the terrain it should be employed and why! Then Tom talks to you from his physical therapy studio and explains and demos the muscle movement front and side views that he showed on the snow. (He also explains the muscles which contract or relax to make that movement, which is important to know if you want to pass a higher level certification exam.)

Then on the snow, Tom demos a drill on a blue groomed run which can only be successfully performed if the students' can properly perform the desired movement. They get better at the drill as they perform the movement better. What your body should feel is explained. Functional/successful pole use is demoed and explained!

Tom edits the video sequences and draws lines over the movements and terrain to contrast what is happening in his skiing versus the students' skiing. He has a separate cameraman whom he passes the camera back and forth with so you see Tom skiing and then the skiing of the students and even the cameraman. This is helpful to develop your "movement analysis" eye because each of these skiers have different deficits in their movement patterns. (The cameraman is a snowboarder -- ever taught a competent snowboarder how to ski bumps? It comes with its own particular challenges.)

Then on to the black and double black bump runs.

Tom points out the difference in movement patterns between his skiing and his students using the "draw lines over the video" coaching technique. The videos are clear. The students' improvement in their skiing is objectively visible, both when the students do it right and the students' lack of success when they revert back to their old ingrained movement patterns.

Then on to the next correct movement pattern to learn.

Tom's discussion with his students and his film review edit discussion is not jargon. It is clear. It is understandable. You will know how, where and why to do it on the bumps. He asks his students "Does this contradict what you've been told to do previously?" To which they respond "Yes," which is true for me too. Tom takes what I have been told by various trainers in my past and fills in the missing parts which either I did not catch before or the trainers never mentioned before.

Tom is a Level 4 ski instructor. He is a great trainer. But what differentiates him, in my opinion, is his clarity. What makes his videos watchable is his personality and the obvious improvement in his students' skiing. You feel like you are right there with him. And because you like him and because you can tell that he really likes helping his students ski better and because they objectively do in fact learn to ski better, you want to be there too.

For video, this is as good as it gets.

It will not only help me improve my personal skiing. It will make be a better instructor.

Last edited:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I love all the videos I've seen on his youtube channel, and I'd pay to watch the professional stuff...but not $50 a month. Not questioning the quality, that's just a steep price for a full-on streaming service let alone 1 set of videos.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks intriguing and worth it if the instruction is that good. I guess I'd wait until I'm back on the snow to subscribe though-I'm sure my memory isn't good enough to retain something I learn in the spring and apply it in December.........................

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Others who have seen more of the videos will hopefully chime in, but the Bump Lesson above which I watched is a true lesson "progression." Meaning it starts with two students who are IMHO/experience truly students and they and Tom ski bumps together so you see the "before" in their skiing. Then, on the snow, Tom shows the first desired movement, which is usually referred to as a "static" demo and clearly explains the function of the movement and where in the turn and where on the terrain it should be employed and why! Then Tom talks to you from his physical therapy studio and explains and demos the muscle movement front and side views that he showed on the snow. (He also explains the muscles which contract or relax to make that movement, which is important to know if you want to pass a higher level certification exam.)

Then on the snow, Tom demos a drill on a blue groomed run which can only be successfully performed if the students' can properly perform the desired movement. They get better at the drill as they perform the movement better. What your body should feel is explained. Functional/successful pole use is demoed and explained!

Tom edits the video sequences and draws lines over the movements and terrain to contrast what is happening in his skiing versus the students' skiing. He has a separate cameraman whom he passes the camera back and forth with so you see Tom skiing and then the skiing of the students and even the cameraman. This is helpful to develop your "movement analysis" eye because each of these skiers have different deficits in their movement patterns. (The cameraman is a snowboarder -- ever taught a competent snowboarder how to ski bumps? It comes with its own particular challenges.)

Then on to the black and double black bump runs.

Tom points out the difference in movement patterns between his skiing and his students using the "draw lines over the video" coaching technique. The videos are clear. The students' improvement in their skiing is objectively visible, both when the students do it right and the students' lack of success when they revert back to their old ingrained movement patterns.

Then on to the next correct movement pattern to learn.

Tom's discussion with his students and his film review edit discussion is not jargon. It is clear. It is understandable. You will know how, where and why to do it on the bumps. He asks his students "Does this contradict what you've been told to do previously?" To which they respond "Yes," which is true for me too. Tom takes what I have been told by various trainers in my past and fills in the missing parts which either I did not catch before or the trainers never mentioned before.

Tom is a Level 4 ski instructor. He is a great trainer. But what differentiates him, in my opinion, is his clarity. What makes his videos watchable is his personality and the obvious improvement in his students' skiing. You feel like you are right there with him. And because you like him and because you can tell that he really likes helping his students ski better and because they objectively do in fact learn to ski better, you want to be there too.

For video, this is as good as it gets.

It will not only help me improve my personal skiing. It will make be a better instructor.
Wow. That sounds like the perfect video lesson.

What are the bumps he's teaching on like? Beautifully formed soft bumps on perfect wide trails? I rarely get to ski those bumps.

Does he teach these people on hard bumps, or on weirdly formed bumps with towers in the way, exposed granite boulders, trees, and/or double fall lines screwing with the lines?

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was subbed Jan-Feb-March. Really great videos. I enjoyed them a lot.

He recently moved to a new website- https://bigpictureskiing.com/
He was offering 33% off subs when he switched to the new one. Code: BIGPICSKI (not sure if if still works).

Thanks that offer still works. I might do it for one month while I have extra time on my hands.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Wow. That sounds like the perfect video lesson.

What are the bumps he's teaching on like? Beautifully formed soft bumps on perfect wide trails? I rarely get to ski those bumps.

Does he teach these people on hard bumps, or on weirdly formed bumps with towers in the way, exposed granite boulders, trees, and/or double fall lines screwing with the lines?
There are two bump lesson videos in Tom's library. The first, speed and line control, is filmed in Japan with two students. There's a variety of groomer and bump skiing. Most of the bumps are relatively low angle and the snow is not entirely firm, but there are spots where you can hear a bit of firmness to the snow.

The second video, better flow in your mogul skiing, was filmed at Aspen Highlands in February with a fair amount of new snow. The bumps are pretty soft. Most of the instruction takes place on Scarletts, a blue mogul run that is used for Level 2 mogul examination. This season, the bumps were pretty nicely formed, but Scarletts has often had pretty nasty combination of bump shapes as both @Nancy Hummel and I can attest. There are some runs on Alps, a single black bump run, and the Wall, which is a double black that starts to approximate the slope of the bump runs in Steeplechase/Deep Temerity.

So, are these videos relevant to skiing nasty ice bumps? Absolutely. The technique you use here applies in terrain and snow conditions there. Of course, if you are looking for a reason not to spend a few bucks for amazing video learning, there's any number of excuses that one can come up with.

Mike

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Of course, if you are looking for a reason not to spend a few bucks for amazing video learning, there's any number of excuses that one can come up with.

Mike

Try a little tenderness.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Try a little tenderness.
Ehh, it was just a snarky comment, no offense intended.

so, it brings up another issue: does advanced bump skiing technique change depending on terrain and snow conditions, or are those handled simply through tactics? IMHO, it is the latter, not the former.

Mike

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does advanced bump skiing technique change depending on terrain and snow conditions, or are those handled simply through tactics? IMHO, it is the latter, not the former.

Mike
Hah! I think that just means you haven't skied bad enough bumps!
Triangular ice bumps with vertical walls on the down-hill side need adjustments.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
What he said.^
There's two parts to it as they are spread across two videos. In the first video, Speed and Line Control, the focus seems to be on two things: obtaining early edge to establish a pivot point (fulcrum) on the front of the ski to establish early edge; which allows for line and speed control, and finishing with a pivot point (fulcrum) on the tail of the ski to aid the entry into the top of the next turn. These maneuvers use both fore/aft control as well as edging control.

The second video focuses on using some of these elements to take a more direct line in the bumps. This video focuses more on the edge control piece, and specifically the constant movement of the legs -- no flat spots. A key issue is how the edge is established to maintain ski/snow contact. He demonstrates on the snow and in his studio the specific movements in the femur and feet to establish edge high in the turn -- most importantly, how big the movements need to be to achieve the desired outcome.

Hah! I think that just means you haven't skied bad enough bumps!
Triangular ice bumps with vertical walls on the down-hill side need adjustments.
Not in technique, I'd argue, but in tactics. It's still the same stuff. You may need a different line, more or less flexion, but how is the technique different?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not in technique, I'd argue, but in tactics. It's still the same stuff. You may need a different line, more or less flexion, but how is the technique different?
Well, it's a philosophical distinction, I guess. I think having to brake on top of a mogul and then drop is so different from standard tactics that it edges into being a different technique. There's no downhill side to push the shovels down onto.

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Holy Moly. He even mentions Wayne Wong at the end of his first video. (Wayne used to stop by our ski school ocasionally, but I haven't seen him recently.)

There are so many usable memorable quotes: "If you want to make something move freely, make something else stable."

Like Mike King says Tom Gellie gives me permission to move my weight from tip to tail as a technique to be used as a tactic on certain parts of the bump terrain. Its not just a generic centered pivot slip. Its a tip or tail pivoted slip to be used on specific well-described and shown parts of the bump.

And dolphin turns. I see that technique employed in the bump skiing video without Tom Gellie really mentioning them or practicing them as a separate frickin' drill. I hate them. They wear me out. The way Tom Gellie shows you how to employ that movement on actual bumps, I don't think you need to practice dolphin turns as a separate drill at all.

I don't feel comfortable describing the tactics he teaches. I think I see them. He mentions the "word" tactic with respect to a particular nasty bump at the end of the Bump Lesson I video. But his video is not jargon based. It is technique based. At least the first bump video.

Last edited:

Bendu

Sock Puppet
Pass Pulled
I have been hearing about moving tip and tails for years from PSIA Examiners/Trainers. Why wouldnt you?

Why did you need permission from Tom?

Sponsor

Staff online