• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
1981 IBM introduces its first Personal Computer (PC & PC-DOS version 1.0)

How our world has changed in 39 years. You had to "call" for snow reports before that.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
On August 12, 2017, James Alex Fields Jr. deliberately drove his car into a crowd of people who had been peacefully[12][13] protesting the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, killing one and injuring 28. The 20-year-old Fields had driven from Ohio to attend the rally.[14] Fields previously espoused neo-Nazi and white supremacist beliefs.[8][9] He was convicted in a state court of hit and run, the first-degree murder of 32-year-old Heather Heyer, and eight counts of malicious wounding, and sentenced to life in prison with an additional 419 years in July 2019.[15] He also pled guilty to 29 of 30 federal hate crime charges to avoid the death penalty, which also resulted in another life sentence handed down in June 2019.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In 1909, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was opened. I think they still have a big race there.
Interesting trivia: the Indianapolis 500 is the single largest one-day sporting event in the world by attendance.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
12 August 1990 Sue Hendrickson discovers bones in South Dakota. They turned out to be a well preserved T-Rex that is now called Sue named after the discover.

Uncle-A

Skier
14 August 1945 VJ Day Unconditional Surrender the end of WW II.

Uncle-A

Skier
15 August 1969 The Woodstock Music and Arts Festival opens to overflow crowds in Upstate NY. As they say "The Rest Is History"

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
1930 President Herbert Hoover announces his plan for dealing with the worst drought in US history. assures nation he has the economy under control.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A big day in modern music.

In 1965, the Beatles played to a crowd of more than 55,000 at New York’s Shea Stadium.

Uncle-A

Skier
Elvis Presley passed away today in 1977 at age 42. Long live the King of Rock and Roll.

James

Out There
Instructor
Elvis Presley passed away today in 1977 at age 42. Long live the King of Rock and Roll.
I happened to be at Graceland in the early 90’s either on this day or close to it. Had no idea if the date at the time. There were flower arrangements sent from all over the world.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
12 August 1990 Sue Hendrickson discovers bones in South Dakota. They turned out to be a well preserved T-Rex that is now called Sue named after the discover.
I used to work with a woman named Sue Rex. That didn’t get her free admission to see the dinosaur one.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I used to work with a woman named Sue Rex. That didn’t get her free admission to see the dinosaur one.
I hope she had a son or daughter named Thomas, or Tyler, or Tiffany, or Tessa, or Travis, etc... so they could go by T. Rex.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is not quite history, but today in New Zealand the mass murderer of 51 people at two Mosques in Christchurch is sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hurricane Laura hit Lake Charles LA on this date.

Uncle-A

Skier
28 August 1963 Dr. MLK Jr gave his famous "I Have A Dream" speech . Part of the march on Washington civil rights movement.

Uncle-A

Skier
31 August 1945 George Ivan Morrison is born. Those of you the don't know who George is let me share his AKA.
Maybe you know him as Van Morrison.

Sponsor

Staff online