• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
31 August 1945 George Ivan Morrison is born. Those of you the don't know who George is let me share his AKA.
Maybe you know him as Van Morrison.
tenor.gif

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
On the USS Missouri. Built in Brooklyn.
800px-Missouri_post_refit.JPG

I saw the USS New Jersey up close anchored in New York harbor and then steaming up the Hudson with President Reagan on board. Fir the 1986 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. Elegant ship, beautiful lines.
The USS Missouri was at Pearl Harbor and I took the tour when I was there. They have a large disk on the deck that is for the location of the signing of the peace document that I posted. It is a humbling place, the monument of the USS Arizona sunk on 7 December, 1941 and the USS Missouri battle ship. I wish more people could visit Pearl Harbor, it is something that stays with you, the magnitude of the attack and the death toll. I had a cousin that was there that day and he never talked about it other than that it was horrible, that's all he would say.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1995: The online auction site eBay is founded in San Jose, Calif., by Pierre Omidyar under the name "AuctionWeb."

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
In 1939, upon Hitler's refusal to withdraw from Poland, Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister of Britain announces that "a state of war exists" between Britain and Germany.

And on a brighter note, 37 years ago today, I met the lucky lady who I would later graciously allow the immense privilege of being my wife (<- that's my twist on the story for today anyway :mask: , but if she reads this, I may well die ... )

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Treaty of Paris is signed by Great Britain and the new United States, formally bringing the American Revolution to an end.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
7 September, 1936
Buddy Holly is born. Rock and Roll!!!

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sept 6 1522 first circumnavigation of world is completed.
Magellan's expedition returns to Spain.