• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Today in History

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
September 10 1939 Canada officially declares war on Germany as Parliament is recalled from summer recess.
September 10 1904 the first train robbery in Canada. Staged by Bill Miner, just out of an US prison for the same crime.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Today September 10th, 2001 we had no idea how horrific tomorrow was going to be.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
well we all know what happened 19 years ago. RIP
One of the guys I worked with in one of the ski shops in the early 1980's was working in the towers that day and was never found. He was married with a few kids and also a member of the Elks club I belong. We had a drink together there on the Labor Day just before that fatal day. I will never forget and I am not sure if I am a good enough person to ever forgive.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
As a society unfortunately most will forget. How many today don't know what December 7th was? We all should, but we all don't. Time is like that.

Also today on a brighter note.
The Carol Burnett Show
debuted on CBS, and the variety and sketch comedy program, which featured Carol Burnett and her comedy troupe, became a Saturday-night staple.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Milton Hershey
1857: Milton Snavely Hershey, founder of the Hershey Chocolate Company, was born in Pennsylvania.​
:beercheer:

Uncle-A

Skier
13 September, 1965 The Beatles release the song Yesterday, and it becomes one of the most covered songs in the Beatles song book.

Uncle-A

Skier
15 September 1954 the famous photo of Marilyn Monroe standing over a subway grate with her dress blowing up is taken.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Constitution Day

Uncle-A

Skier
Constitution Day
Thanks for the reminder.

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Battle of Antietam- September 17, 1862

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sept 18 1879 Blackpool England becomes the first city in the world to have electric street lights

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
September 19, 1957 the United States detonates a 1.7-kiloton nuclear weapon in an underground tunnel at the Nevada Test Site (NTS), a 1,375-square-mile research center located 65 miles north of Las Vegas. The test, known as Rainier, was the first fully contained underground detonation and produced no radioactive fallout.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
on that nuclear note.
I missed the Sept 15 1971 departure of the Phyliss Cormack from Vancouver to try to stop an upcoming nuclear detonation in Amchitka Alaska. Several of my SFU classmates went.
The US Coast Guard did prevent them from anchoring near by so the explosion took place but it was the last after the uproar they created.
On departure the group was called "Don't make a Wave", they later called themselves Green Peace.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
In 1973, singer-songwriter Jim Croce died in a plane crash near Natchitoches, Louisiana; he was 30.

We will never know what we really lost. What stories were left untold?

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
2008: Baseball says farewell to the original Yankee Stadium as the Bronx Bombers defeat the Baltimore Orioles 7-3.

Sponsor