• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
2019-20 Elan Wingman 82 CTI 178cm
I just have never been on a ski anything like this. Home cooks: This is like moving from a Wusthof or a Henkels knife to a Japanese model. Half the weight with twice the slice. It bends easily but still grips like a bulldog. (I know that sounds like my account of the DPS above but the skis are totally different. The DPS really is binary. It's supposed to be. I had a French teacher like that in high school. You say something and she'd say it back properly. You knew what that meant, even if you didn't like it.)

The Elan doesn't correct you; it's just kind of invisible, like the jet pack on your back in that awesome dream. They should have called it the Wingsuit instead of the Wingman. It does its ski duty perfectly and lets you concentrate on skiing. Look left, go left. Astounding that a ski that can be so locked into a carved turn can also do brushy instructor turns so well. The conundrum of the Wingman is that it's very precise and yet very forgiving. Yes, there is a lot of resistance to the whole Amphibio thing. I get it. But, but, but ... I DO think that inside ski tracking was noticably better on this ski. :eek:

I see this taking over from my MX 84. I can feel the foundations of PugSki shaking. "You are trading the signature Kastle model for an Elan?" Are you nuts?" I'm not nuts. The Wingman is not a better ski, necessarily, just especially well suited to me. Finding that ski is the whole point of doing demos, right? Let the bidding on the cast-offs begin.
  • Who is it for? A skier who is happy to let high tech take over some of the load. Maybe you are aging a bit, like me, and are totally glad to shed some of the weight without losing precision. @WadeHoliday , you might have to sell the Trainer.
  • Who is it not for? Hidebound big guys
  • Insider tip: Don't be like me. Don't blow past Elan for any of the reasons people do that.
  • Insider tip #2: Pick your length and it will work for you. The one I was on was "too long" and it was still killer, with all that elbow room.
I think my demo list may have a new entry, but hopefully I can try an 82 and and 88. The Amphibio design does have its issues and detractors, but this big guy does appreciate the full camber on the inside edge. I have an older 88 XTi in 186 cm, which is fairly stiff and damp. But it seems that Elan has gone from being a "big guy" ski to a lighter, nimble ski for everyone, except big guys. Is this an accurate view? I've not seen a free demo day with Elan's since I got mine. And I'm not hide bound, I'm very open minded, my quiver has the Elan, a Rossignol Hero, and the Fischer Ranger.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
hopefully I can try an 82 and and 88

The Wingman series has an 82 and an 86. I think there is now an 88 in the Ripstick line. Seems kind of crazy on its face; a couple mm is nothing. As we know, however, waist widths within a maker's range have in many cases become confusing proxies for OTHER aspects of ski design, such as stiffness, turn radius, target ability level, etc. Sigh.

it seems that Elan has gone from being a "big guy" ski to a lighter, nimble ski for everyone, except big guys. Is this an accurate view?

I can't speak to this broadly. I just know that it's rare for me at 140lbs to ski a 178 groomer-oriented ski and be able to bend it easily at any speed. So for this particular model I speculate that it might be a little on the delicate side for some. Noodler, who is bigger and stronger (notwithstanding his screen name) tried it and liked it a lot, to his surprise. So the ski is not a total noodle, apparently. However, he ended up preferring the Fischer RC One 86.

To tweak my earlier analogy, the Elan is a filet knife, not a cleaver. How you respond to that may be a matter of taste as much as size.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Wingman series has an 82 and an 86. I think there is now an 88 in the Ripstick line. Seems kind of crazy on its face; a couple mm is nothing. As we know, however, waist widths within a maker's range have in many cases become confusing proxies for OTHER aspects of ski design, such as stiffness, turn radius, target ability level, etc. Sigh.
Correct, the Wingman comes in an 82 and 86, the Ripstick is an 88. Overlap in widths have more to do with construction and shape than just a waist width. Look at Kastle, MX84, PX85, FX86 and MX89. MX, PX and FX are veeeery different skis.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

I can't speak to this broadly. I just know that it's rare for me at 140lbs to ski a 178 groomer-oriented ski and be able to bend it easily at any speed. So for this particular model I speculate that it might be a little on the delicate side for some. Noodler, who is bigger and stronger (notwithstanding his screen name) tried it and liked it a lot, to his surprise. So the ski is not a total noodle, apparently. However, he ended up preferring the Fischer RC One 86.

To tweak my earlier analogy, the Elan is a filet knife, not a cleaver. How you respond to that may be a matter of taste as much as size.
Well, the RC One GT is already on the list!

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I think my demo list may have a new entry, but hopefully I can try an 82 and and 88. The Amphibio design does have its issues and detractors, but this big guy does appreciate the full camber on the inside edge. I have an older 88 XTi in 186 cm, which is fairly stiff and damp. But it seems that Elan has gone from being a "big guy" ski to a lighter, nimble ski for everyone, except big guys. Is this an accurate view? I've not seen a free demo day with Elan's since I got mine. And I'm not hide bound, I'm very open minded, my quiver has the Elan, a Rossignol Hero, and the Fischer Ranger.
I am fairly heavy, around 185 pounds or so, a little over 6 ft tall and Wingman 86 Cti in 178 cm was plenty stable for me. I wasn't trying to go super fast on the groomers because of the low visibility on that demo demo day at Alta, but could keep up with my friend (@ADKmel ) who skis fast. Like @Tony S said - I am not sure how it is so stable and so forgiving at the same time, but it is. I am coveting these skis along with the Atomic 97 Vantage Ti.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am fairly heavy, around 185 pounds or so, a little over 6 ft tall and Wingman 86 Cti in 178 cm was plenty stable for me. I wasn't trying to go super fast on the groomers because of the low visibility on that demo demo day at Alta, but could keep up with my friend (@ADKmel ) who skis fast. Like @Tony S said - I am not sure how it is so stable and so forgiving at the same time, but it is. I am coveting these skis along with the Atomic 97 Vantage Ti.
I'm 6'6", 230 lb, so would be looking at the 184 cm if Elan follows typical sizing. Anyone know the turn radius of that in the 86? I see a lot of Elans at Killington, so assume there will be a good shop for demos.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
I'm 6'6", 230 lb, so would be looking at the 184 cm if Elan follows typical sizing. Anyone know the turn radius of that in the 86? I see a lot of Elans at Killington, so assume there will be a good shop for demos.
Yes, I think 184 cm sounds good for your stats. According to this web-site the turning radius is 16.5 m at 178 length. Not sure if @Philpug would know what is the turning radius on 184 cm? Hope you can demo some Wingman, they are fun!
Here is my review of them:
https://www.pugski.com/threads/demo-day-at-alta-april-2019.15071/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online