• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Skier's Carry-On? Db Hugger 30L

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tony, is that the Hugger 30L? Will a helmet fit in there with your boots?
I've been looking for something like this.
I don't think there's anything within the max dimensions of 22"x16"x9" that will fit ski boots and a ski helmet... unless the boots are child size. Boots alone are probably 18X14X6 nested Z style.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S - can you try a bigger boot in the bag & post pictures?

Um, where did you suppose I would get that bigger boot? You want me to call up a friend with big feet, to bring his boots over so I can get a picture?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
oh that would be too much work. Just pop out to the ski area and cruise the parking lots.

"Psst, wanna put your boots in my bag? The photos will be completely tasteful, I promise"

ogsmile

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't think there's anything within the max dimensions of 22"x16"x9" that will fit ski boots and a ski helmet...

Yeah, I always just check the helmet. I figure if it gets lost I can source another one somehow, or just wear a hat for a day. Way too bulky to be worth bringing down the aisle.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Um, where did you suppose I would get that bigger boot? You want me to call up a friend with big feet, to bring his boots over so I can get a picture?
If you show a clearer picture of just your boots with the space around them in the bag it should give a pretty good idea about what will fit. Just reading the dimensions I'm pretty sure I could squeeze my 27.5 Langes in there but... :huh:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

I'm sorry, I guess I thought the picture had another family members boots in the bag since I saw a reference to a 23.5size boot. Maybe the comments are unrelated. I was just trying to gauge how a 27 would fit. Didn’t realize they were yours.:doh: Or maybe not yours.

James

Out There
Instructor
@Tony S , what’s your view of this bag now?
I take it boots plus helmet in this bag is a no go?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S , what’s your view of this bag now?
I take it boots plus helmet in this bag is a no go?

Correct. Honestly I can't really imagine a true carry-on sized bag that would fit a pair of boots AND a helmet. That's three very bulky items.

In any case, after two ski trips via plane, I like the bag, but it's not perfect. Short version, I think they could probably have made it just a little bigger and had it still meet carry-on specs, while providing enough space to make it more practical.

Pros:
  • Very comfortable on the back, even with boots loaded.
  • Nice ergonomic details, such as the top handle positioned where you naturally grab it while putting the pack on and taking it off.
  • Modest but well thought-out pocketing - the top pocket is like a little box that doesn't spill any contents when you unzip it while the pack is standing up.
  • Looks good (IMHO).
  • I like the structured nature of it - it's more like a small suitcase than a floppy pack. The size is very defined, which helps it ...
  • Fits very easily in overhead bins - even small ones.

Cons:
  • It's a bit TOO small. With my rather petite boots in it, there is barely room for ski pants, goggles, one minimal set of clothes (base layers, socks, a light fleece), hat and gloves, and a few toiletries. Chargers, keys, Clif Bar, etc can go in the top pocket. Printouts of reservations can go in the laptop sleeve. It is enough, but only JUST enough.
  • Zipper on main front load panel is a little balky.

Durability is TBD, but so far so good.

In conclusion, I'm going to keep using it despite its small size because it's so comfortable and because it fits so well in the bins. If I had huge feet that would probably be a deal breaker. I wish they'd just make one that was 35L or 40L. I'm sure they could keep that under the airline size constraints.

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve been carrying a Lange bag with the boots strapped to the outside. It’s huge with the boots on. For going through security and getting on the plane I take the boots off.
Boots and bag go in overhead. Helmet and everything to ski in except insulated jacket, wearing that, fits in bag. Once you zip up the little boot holders the bag is pretty compact.

I have gotten on the plane coming back without taking boots off. This last trip coming back I checked the bag when asked, for free, and just carried the boots.

Only photo I have now. Those are the little boot covers on the liners. Surprisingly useful.

D1E13900-6228-4628-9127-0D73C98CCCEB.jpeg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a note: I’m finishing my 3rd trip out west with a two-part solution. Standard rolling carry-on with boots, goggles, and a full ski outfit (base layer to shell) inside. That goes in luggage bin. Daypack with other stuff as my personal item. When I get to the ski areas, I carry goggles, clothes, etc in the daypack, and sling the boots over my shoulder or across top of pack. Rolling bag fills up with all the spare clothes I paced around my skis. No need for a specialized bag, just luggage I have sitting around the house already.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Looking at what other people are getting away with for carry ons and ski bags, at least on Delta, I'm going to stop worrying about overstuffing my backpack with boots, helmet, change of clothes etc. and I'll stuff everything else in my ski bag.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Looking at what other people are getting away with for carry ons and ski bags, at least on Delta, I'm going to stop worrying about overstuffing my backpack with boots, helmet, change of clothes etc. and I'll stuff everything else in my ski bag.

It’s funny you say that about Delta but it’s true. Despite being money hungry in every other way, shape or form the one thing they don’t do is enforce their own carry-on policy. I fly them often for business and it’s almost comical to watch the number and size of the bags people bring on to stuff in the overhead. It’s like if 4 bags are stacked up in one set of hands it’s one carry-on item.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s funny you say that about Delta but it’s true. Despite being money hungry in every other way, shape or form the one thing they don’t do is enforce their own carry-on policy. I fly them often for business and it’s almost comical to watch the number and size of the bags people bring on to stuff in the overhead. It’s like if 4 bags are stacked up in one set of hands it’s one carry-on item.

Yeah. And then a schmoe like me comes along in all innocence with my one small-but-precious carry-on bag and they tell me I have to gate-check it because there is no more room in the overhead bins. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah. And then a schmoe like me comes along in all innocence with my one small-but-precious carry-on bag and they tell me I have to gate-check it because there is no more room in the overhead bins. :nono: :nono: :nono:
I will pay a few bucks more for my ticket to be able to chose my seat and not be one of the last shmoes on the plane.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I will pay a few bucks more for my ticket to be able to chose my seat and not be one of the last shmoes on the plane.

Right. This what they're counting on and how we get manipulated. They break their own rules and then people like you are put into the position of having to pay extra for something that should just be taken for granted as part of competent operations.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'll just remind you all that Delta has a pricing tier with NO carryon at all. The people turducking the overheads are already well ratcheted on price. And feeling entitled.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The people turducking the overheads are already well ratcheted on price.

I'm skeptical about this. I think that there are people who habitually just take what they think they can get away with, and people who mostly try hard to play by the rules. I'm sure there are people with bottom-tier fares who try to put stuff in the bins illicitly (sometimes maybe even out of ignorance of what they bought or didn't buy), and I'm equally sure that there are people who paid for one legal carry-on who are putting multiple huge bags up there. They may feel entitled, but they're not. Similarly I'm sure there are people in both groups who do the right thing.

Bottom line: It's up to the airline to enforce their own rules, if fairness is to reign.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Correct. Honestly I can't really imagine a true carry-on sized bag that would fit a pair of boots AND a helmet. That's three very bulky items.

In any case, after two ski trips via plane, I like the bag, but it's not perfect. Short version, I think they could probably have made it just a little bigger and had it still meet carry-on specs, while providing enough space to make it more practical.

Pros:
  • Very comfortable on the back, even with boots loaded.
  • Nice ergonomic details, such as the top handle positioned where you naturally grab it while putting the pack on and taking it off.
  • Modest but well thought-out pocketing - the top pocket is like a little box that doesn't spill any contents when you unzip it while the pack is standing up.
  • Looks good (IMHO).
  • I like the structured nature of it - it's more like a small suitcase than a floppy pack. The size is very defined, which helps it ...
  • Fits very easily in overhead bins - even small ones.

Cons:
  • It's a bit TOO small. With my rather petite boots in it, there is barely room for ski pants, goggles, one minimal set of clothes (base layers, socks, a light fleece), hat and gloves, and a few toiletries. Chargers, keys, Clif Bar, etc can go in the top pocket. Printouts of reservations can go in the laptop sleeve. It is enough, but only JUST enough.
  • Zipper on main front load panel is a little balky.

Durability is TBD, but so far so good.

In conclusion, I'm going to keep using it despite its small size because it's so comfortable and because it fits so well in the bins. If I had huge feet that would probably be a deal breaker. I wish they'd just make one that was 35L or 40L. I'm sure they could keep that under the airline size constraints.
I own a Burton boot backpack which fits my boots, helmet, iPad and miscellaneous stuff. It’s not as stylish as the DB but the Burton stuff is much more durable. It’s done maybe 5 Japanese ski trips including internal flights with no issues.

I also own a Dakine boot backpack (I have a second set of boots and like having them packed and ready to go). It’s more stylish than the Burton, similarly rugged, but slightly smaller. It fits boots, helmet, iPad and miscellaneous items as well

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January