• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

The Skier's Carry-On? Db Hugger 30L

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Santa (@Wending) brought this really slick-looking bag. I already have a Db ski bag that has been working very well for a few years, so last winter I put this backpack on my wishlist. It won't be all things to all skiers, but I'm liking the look of it and will post how it works or after a trip or two.

It is NOT something that takes the place of your Kulkea or Transpack or whatever. What it DOES appear to do is allow you to carry your boots and one day's worth of ski clothes on the plane comfortably and with as much assurance as possible that it WILL be allowed down the aisle and into the overhead bin with ease. Yes, I have had trouble with this, especially on the "regional jets" you're prone to fly on when you have a route like Portland, ME to Bozeman, MT.

The design details are really nice. It stands up when you put it down. There is a top pocket that's right at hand when you do that. The handle is at the balance point. It has internal pockets. Even a laptop sleeve, if you are that sort of ski traveler. It appears to be totally bombproof. It is very comfortable on my back. It also looks like luggage, not like a hitchhiker's rucksack, for what that's worth.

20191226_203012-01.jpeg
20191226_202919-01.jpeg
20191226_203114-01.jpeg
20191226_203036-01.jpeg
20191226_204043-01.jpeg

RNZ

aka Ski Kiwi
Skier
I love my one of these bags, fits heaps of stuff and I can confirm fits easily into overhead bins on smaller regional planes. I've used it for work trips as well as non-work and it is not showing signs of wear. It also fits packing cubes really well. But the best thing is that it is currently sitting packed ready for take-off to Japan in 9 hours.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I am so glad to see that the big obvious word "douchebags" is printed on a disposable paper label and is not something sewn permanently into the surface of the unit. That's what I first thought when I skimmed through the photos.

The subtle, barely visible "Db" is much better. I am now interested in getting one of these.

Just looked online at the backpacks. On many of these backpacks the full name "douchebags" is printed huge in a contrasting color, screaming for attention, where it can't be missed. I can't see myself carrying one of these through an airport if the word is visible. What were they thinking?

Glad they make some without it.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks nice!
Can you post a photo with boots in it? Wondering how much room is left.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I like the look and practicality of that bag. I have the Salomon Go to Ski bag. It's only good for skiing (all though that really isn't a problem). This bag you could use for work travel too. Have to see if available in Canada. Oh, saw my first Kulkea yesterday. Haven't seen them in Canada.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That jello-green thing peeping out of the storage pocket in the second photo is a boot.

Right. Except it's not a storage pocket, it's my black ski pants folded up on top of the boots.

But @James is right to wonder. It's definitely on the small side compared to the shapeless but workable bag I have been using for this purpose. Also, those are small boots (23.5). On the other hand, a pair of boots is going to take up much of the room in any legit carry-on sized pack. Just have to wait til I pack properly to see if it will actually work. Thus the question mark in the thread title.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Tony S - can you try a bigger boot in the bag & post pictures? I’m trying to find a new bag to travel with instead if just carrying my boots thru the terminal. My last bag got destroyed by baggage folks when they made me check it as we boarded (BTV baggage folks).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I guess you wear the helmet hahaha.. Or that's your personal item?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't see myself carrying one of these through an airport if the word is visible. What were they thinking?

I get some funny looks in airports but have not been assaulted yet. I read somewhere that the word douchebag is a Norwegian word for something. Probably means douchebag

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
I can't see myself carrying one of these through an airport if the word is visible. What were they thinking?

I get some funny looks in airports but have not been assaulted yet. I read somewhere that the word douchebag is a Norwegian word for something. Probably means douchebag

The Google does Norwegian.

1577464453893.png

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes, we know^, and we're pretty sure the brand owners know. We're pretty sure they picked the name for that reason. With glee.

Welcome to brand-building in the age of chronic disruption.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's also what people get called by other passengers when they're "that guy" that takes way too much stuff on the plane and should have checked some of it.

Pdub

best day ever
Skier
Tony, is that the Hugger 30L? Will a helmet fit in there with your boots?
I've been looking for something like this.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've got a Hugger 30L which, for a variety of reasons, didn't work out like I wanted it to. It is gathering dust and I'd be happy to part with it. PM me if interested. Color is grey. It was a carry-on for exactly one trip. Condition essentially new.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my one of these bags, fits heaps of stuff and I can confirm fits easily into overhead bins on smaller regional planes. I've used it for work trips as well as non-work and it is not showing signs of wear. It also fits packing cubes really well. But the best thing is that it is currently sitting packed ready for take-off to Japan in 9 hours.
Does it fit your ski boots. If so what size boots?

Sponsor

Staff online