• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
FBC00E6C-1C66-4EDE-A69D-DC2F4C717AAC.jpeg

Love the Head/Fischer/Tyrolia 2 piece, it’s cataloed as the RDX plate & is still available.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ also interesting that both the heel & toe pieces are identical shape/product, just mounted inverted to each other

Today I decided to go with the Marker Piston Plate in SL config for my Laser SX.
My local shop Corbetts had the 2019 Race XCell 16 on for dirt cheap today ( $200 $Canuck = $155 US ) so I grabbed them now while they were so cheap & available . They didn't have an Piston Plates on hand so I will deal with that next fall with them and have them do the mount.

But still good to learn of other options and what's making others happy.

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
790D002D-07AF-443D-A036-3A4069BF8484.jpeg
View attachment 69862
Thats an interesting combo.
Jeez @Brian Finch see what you've gone and done. :doh:

Not trying to junk up the thread, but DIN is for the 210s above; however even those old rippers above have a Tyrolia plate from the 90’s that still accepts the current Tyrolia Race bindings & the Attack Freeride stuff that takes GripWalk.

I’m trying to consolidate to one boot & run GripWalk on everything. So the Attacks drop right in & I’ve had minimal boot out issues with the toes.

Next season, I’ll be using (I think) a STH2 or the new Marker X-cell GripWalk until Tyrolia comes up with a frontside GripWalk binding.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Ya, that's pretty cool how a current Freeride / All-Mountain binding mates to an old-style plate so hassle free.

Looking at the plates on that setup, there are 2 fixed screws securing the plate to the ski "underfoot", and 1 sliding screw centred near the toe and heel. How does that create a solid connection to the ski with 3 connection points per plate, compared to say a flat mount where each toe and heel has 4 fixed screws into the ski. Or do the advantages in stack height leverage make up for it ?
... just trying to understand why we do what we do ogwink

Since I just bought the XCell 16 and have no Piston Plate in hand just yet ( nor the skis yet either ) , I may just have the XCell 16 mounted directly to the ski flat and try it out that way first. If I feel I am missing out for how I ski, then I can have the Piston Plate installed. I am not really concerned about having extra holes in the ski as I plan to keep the Laser SX a long time ( famous last words :crossfingers: )

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since I just bought the XCell 16 and have no Piston Plate in hand just yet ( nor the skis yet either ) , I may just have the XCell 16 mounted directly to the ski flat and try it out that way first. If I feel I am missing out for how I ski, then I can have the Piston Plate installed.
I am trying to come up with an analogy on why this is bad, the closest I can think of is taking boots out without footbeds...even the stock ones. Taking the Laser out mounted flat will give you an idea how it skis....but it will not give you an idea how it will ski with a Piston Plate, it will be a completely different ski.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ thanks for the insight's Phil. All of the comments have been great.
I'll change my tune ( no pun intended ) and mount the plate from the get-go.

I did take note of previous comments that a plate ( not just the Marker ) will dampen/insulate vibrations.
My 650' home hill is groomed every night and the frequent frozen morning corduroy can be a bit jarring through the ski. Hence my acquisition of a 70mm ski for added bite, and I'll take all the help I can get to make it more pleasurable, and that will includes lessons to improve my technique.

I remember taking my DPS 112RP2 Pures on a some frozen corduroy and it was "Whoaah, these are transmitting every nook and cranny through my legs". Same thing when I switched boots to the lightweight Atomic Ultra 110 XTD which transmit a lot more vibration. But I'm used to those boots now so I don't even notice it anymore.

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Ya, that's pretty cool how a current Freeride / All-Mountain binding mates to an old-style plate so hassle free.

Looking at the plates on that setup, there are 2 fixed screws securing the plate to the ski "underfoot", and 1 sliding screw centred near the toe and heel. How does that create a solid connection to the ski with 3 connection points per plate, compared to say a flat mount where each toe and heel has 4 fixed screws into the ski. Or do the advantages in stack height leverage make up for it ?
... just trying to understand why we do what we do ogwink

:crossfingers: )

No, 5 connections from the plate to the ski. The 2 fixed ones, the center sliding one and 2 sliding ones (hidden under the plate) near to the center one

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I am trying to come up with an analogy on why this is bad, the closest I can think of is taking boots out without footbeds...even the stock ones. Taking the Laser out mounted flat will give you an idea how it skis....but it will not give you an idea how it will ski with a Piston Plate, it will be a completely different ski.

Additionally, that binding is designed to be paired with the plate as that ski is as well.

Mounting without a plate, as best analogy I can come up with would be like having a Ferrari in the garage, $3000 tires and bargain hunting for discount rims.

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ a perfect analogy !

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
View attachment 69873 View attachment 69862

Not trying to junk up the thread, but DIN is for the 210s above; however even those old rippers above have a Tyrolia plate from the 90’s that still accepts the current Tyrolia Race bindings & the Attack Freeride stuff that takes GripWalk.

I’m trying to consolidate to one boot & run GripWalk on everything. So the Attacks drop right in & I’ve had minimal boot out issues with the toes.

Next season, I’ll be using (I think) a STH2 or the new Marker X-cell GripWalk until Tyrolia comes up with a frontside GripWalk binding.

Tyrolia does have GW compatible PowerRail bindings now, but I guess you don't consider that a "frontside" binding?

TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
ARL67

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... Crystal Clear ! :beercheer:

Brian Finch

Industry Insider

noggin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Reading this I am now second guessing myself. I have Stockli Laser AX with Head Evo FF14 mounted without a plate. The new FF allows for more of a natural ski flex without a plate. This is my hard snow quiver ski and shares the duties with a Head Rally SS.
Since it will mainly be for carving in hard snow should I go plates? Both carve like a dream but the Rally seems easier to get up on edge and keeping it there than my Laser AX. Would having a plate change that (more leverage on the laser AX?)or is it based more on the radical side cut? Most likely the combination of the two but curious about the real effect on the slope of mounting the FF on a plate?

Thanks

Sponsor