• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tempest Optics new heat-assisted anti-fog goggle (was ABOM)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Sibhusky remains unconvinced. Her days are not the days for these things.
Attempted Day 15. But first I immediately suffered equipment failure. My Tempest Optics goggles apparently didn't sufficiently seal out the howling wind and snow as I headed up the chair and were frozen on the inner Iens. I didn't realize there was an issue until I was descending the back. So I switched to their cousins, the Aboms, stuffed in my fanny pack. These then lost all power before I reached the chair, but the lens was okay. I stupidly rode up and decided since the lens was clear, I'd ski back to the lodge instead of downloading. Naturally, that lens fogged after I'd left the summit. So I skied in howling winds, negative numbers, down the front, with NO GOGGLES.

Meanwhile, the mountain was shutting down. View attachment 221152
Missing attachment:
Screenshot_20240111_140947_Chrome.jpg

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Are the Tempest fully automatic or is there a power button that we are missing?
Yes like others said, fully automatic. You put them on, and they do the work for you on defogging, no buttons no nothing. I have quite a few days on mine no fogging even after falling in powder or skiing long bump runs and working up some sweat lol. I wore yellow lens on storm days, and they worked great.

Arthaey

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@pchewn Do you know if Tempest has plans to make an OTG version? I'd love to buy a polychromatic pair + clear lenses, but they have to fit over my glasses or it's a dealbreaker, unfortunately.

mogulman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone try these with an rx insert or over small glasses? Right now I'm suffering with either my prescription sunglasses or goggles with no RX.

Also, any ski talk discount code?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a pair on the way and will try them with both inserts and small glasses. Bob has not fogged a single time with his and that’s huge. My hubby runs hot

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone try these with an rx insert or over small glasses? Right now I'm suffering with either my prescription sunglasses or goggles with no RX.

Also, any ski talk discount code?
Mine just came today. I had to order a new insert as the other two I have will not fit in this goggle. This is a small frame goggle. I could not even fit my teeny tiny glasses that I carry in my gear bag for emergencies.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The photochromatic lens is now my favorite. I can ski nights or bright sun and it works great for both. The lenses are SO easy to change -- but no need to do that with the photochromatic lens. Highly suggested.

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s the photochromic range, 0-3 or 1-4?
1-4 Revo is terrible in the East.

James

Out There
Instructor
The photochromatic lens is now my favorite. I can ski nights or bright sun and it works great for both. The lenses are SO easy to change -- but no need to do that with the photochromatic lens. Highly suggested.

The numbers are a European standard used to represent vlt values. At least Scott, Julbo, Revo use it. Surprisingly, it’s over 10 yrs old.

A 75% transmission in a single color lens is fine for East coast. That doesn’t seem to translate into photochromic though. The Oakley Prizm series is also much lower in vlt since it has more select filtering. So they tend to hide the values for Prizm.

So you would think a 1-4 would be perfect, but in Revo and Scott, they are not. Way too dark for the East in low light ime.

——————-
According to European standard NF EN ISO 12312-1 2013 (sunglasses for general use), there are five categories rated on a scale from 0 to 4, based on the ascending percentage of filtered light.

The filter index or sun protection category is pretty much the same thing, both are determined by the quantity of visible light that they let through the lens. The lower this transmission, the darker the lens and it's this tint that affects glare but not UV radiation.

IMG_1645.jpeg

——————————

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is by far the best photochromic lens that I have seen. It is darn close to clear, which none of my others have been.
I’ve used photochromic lenses in the past since I like the one lens fits all concept. However, I found that on the flat light days especially when it is still pretty bright outside, the photochromic doesn’t get dark enough. I switched to dedicated lenses and, apart from having to swap out, am happy with the optics. Does the Tempest photochromic lens get light enough during the middle of flat light days, say from like 10am-2pm?

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve used photochromic lenses in the past since I like the one lens fits all concept. However, I found that on the flat light days especially when it is still pretty bright outside, the photochromic doesn’t get dark enough. I switched to dedicated lenses and, apart from having to swap out, am happy with the optics. Does the Tempest photochromic lens get light enough during the middle of flat light days, say from like 10am-2pm?
I am confused by the highlighted phrases above .... it doesn't get dark enough in flat light? The tempest lens gets lighter than any other pair I have had in the past - nearly clear. It is harder for me to comment on whether it gets dark enough. I ski at Mt. Rose most of the time and flat light and shadows is the usual on the main side. However, it gets sunny on the slide side hence my preference for a photochromic lens. We just haven't had sun since I received them. Fingers crossed, I will know more about that tomorrow. Though, I have to be honest. Other than in spring sunshine, I don't need a dark goggle lens for comfort.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry about the confusion. My problem with flat light especially mid day is that the lens is too dark and needs to be lighter to be able to see contrast on the snow. I've found that during the middle of the day it is still pretty bright outside so the photochromic lens stays too dark. It'd be awesome if there was a photochromic lens which was manually changeable so the wearer could determine the VLT based on preference.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I skied in sun and shadow today- in small bumps, ungroomed, and easy trees. I found the photochromic excellent. It was plenty dark in the sunny spots and was light enough in the shadowy runs and in the trees. I was easily able to see the variations in the snow. These are hands down the best photochromic lenses I have used and I generally ski with photochromic lenses.

As to fogging with inserts … I intentionally skied bumps because that is when I usually heat up enough to fog a goggle. I zipped my jacket all the way up so my breath was hitting the goggles. I was wearing size 4 inserts from
https://www.gogglesnmore.com/. I fogged for about 1 second and then it cleared- a couple of different times. So the goggles worked as promised.

I’ll update later on a storm day but I think these work well. There is no way eye glasses will fit in these goggles.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Sibhusky remains unconvinced. Her days are not the days for these things.

Missing attachment: View attachment 221153
I have to say I've now had six faultless days with the Tempest goggles. However, altho the fog has been remarkable here lately, there have been no howling winds and negative temps, so until that happens again, I'm still packing a back-up pair in my fanny pack. (Some low tech ones) This winter may not deliver an equivalent day to the above at the rate we are going.

I'd buy a spare lens for them at this point, but every day I've used the yellow lens so far. No need for photochromatic here apparently. Plus I know a discount code will come out after I place an order.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The light was really flat today ... and it was raining ... so it was a short day but I tried the yellow lens and really like it in the low light. The rain ... not so much.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad news. It was snowing today and I had to zip my jacket up over my face. My goggle inserts fogged up terribly and the heated goggle was no help with that. These inserts don’t fog up with any of my other goggles so I’m disappointed. I really like both the Tempest lenses - photochromic and yellow - but I fogged up every time I stopped moving.

@TheArchitect

Sponsor

Staff online