• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tempest Optics new heat-assisted anti-fog goggle (was ABOM)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been a consultant and product tester for ABOM goggles for the past several years. That company no longer exists. See here for discussion of the ABOM goggles:

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/best-goggles-ever-full-stop-nuff-said.8030/

Rising from the ashes of the old ABOM company is a new company: Tempest Optics https://tempestoptics.com/ (See for products, prices, features, etc).

Here is Vince O'Malley of Tempest in an introductory Podcast describing the product:

At the end of last season, I was testing and consulting on the design of Tempest Optic's new goggles. Until now, I was very limited in what I could reveal about them. Well, I'm happy to report that the goggles are being manufactured, the marketing has started, and the goggles will be available for online orders in November.

The advantages over the ABOM Heet goggles are:
  • Lower cost
  • Much faster charge time
  • Much longer battery life
  • Easier swap of lenses, lower cost lenses (you can now justify a whole quiver of lenses)
  • Easier to use (charge them, use them) No buttons, no lights, no modes, no hassle
I am not paid by Tempest, I am not an employee, I am not a spokesperson, I do receive free goggles to test. I am a friend of the chief engineer.

This thread is for discussion/questions/comments about the Tempest Optics heat-assisted no-fog goggles.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here I am in May of last season on Mt Hood with Tempest goggles:

Me-and-my-Tempest.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It would be nice if they had the VLT Info on the various lenses.

I'll be interested in hearing real life reviews. I have three pairs of the aBoms so not in a huge rush to spend more money yet.

In a fall, will we need to have streamers attached when the lens goes flying into the trees?

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yep, I suggested the VLT values be prominently listed when I reviewed the prototype website. I did see a VLT chart in the place where you order extra lenses (on the prototype website). I'm sure it will migrate to the real website soon.

They will offer a photochromatic lens.

When I skied with these the battery was good for 3 days, with spare charge. But conditions were not fog challenging.

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The magnetic lens attach is surprisingly strong. Rare earth magnets. It takes a lot of force to snap off. Not a worry

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Too small. In today’s world if the goggles doesn’t cover 75% of your face they are not considered ‘modern’. :ogbiggrin:

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Super stoked on this! Was getting stressed out about what I was going to do when my Abom’s crapped out.

Olesya C

Always learning
Skier
Yes. The production goggles are now arriving and sales 1st week of November. Just in time for Christmas shopping and the beginning of the ski season.
Thank you for the update! This is very exciting!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Will there be an "over the glasses" model or better yet a prescription lens or insert?
Tempest do not offer an over the glasses model, and I doubt they will.

Prescription lens inserts from 3rd parties might work. Like this: https://www.sportrx.com/prescription-ski-goggle-insert.html

Be aware that any additional lens inside the goggle will not be heated, and may itself be subject to fogging .

If there was an OTG I’d order today. Hopefully SportRX will provide an insert soon. Even if the insert itself isn’t heated I have to believe the goggle being heated would help to mitigate fogging. I’ve never owned a heated goggle so I don’t know.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great VLT range on the photochromatic lens. Seventy-five percent is good for my home hill!

The production goggles are now arriving and sales 1st week of November. Just in time for Christmas shopping BLACK FRIDAY SALES and the beginning of the ski season.

FIFY (I hope)! ;)

Serious question @pchewn: Is the heat tech targeted solely at the internal lens surface for fog reduction, or will it also help prevent and/or dissipate rime ice on the outer lens surface. You can see why I ask:

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1552.JPG

TS
pchewn

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Serious question @pchewn: Is the heat tech targeted solely at the internal lens surface for fog reduction, or will it also help prevent and/or dissipate rime ice on the outer lens surface. You can see why I ask:

The heater is only on the internal lens for interior fogging. Exterior condensation/rain/ice will not be solved by the anti-fog heater. Yep, my goggles have looked like that too. That's why I love my Dakine gloves with the built-in wiper/scraper for removing rain/sleet/ice from the outside of the goggles.

wiper.JPG

Sponsor