• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Ski-meet-up Center

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
woo-hoo:beercheer:

Mister Mann

aka ADKS
Skier
So we're confirmed. Flying into Denver; was too pricy into Hayden.

Question: Flight scheduled to arrive at 8:42pm. This is too late to catch the last shuttle to Steamboat, so we will stay over and rent a car. Rather than staying near the airport, I figure we could drive to the western side of Denver, or farther west on I70 in order to cut the drive down on Friday morning and avoid Denver traffic. Any recommendations on where to stay west of Denver that wouldn't be a difficult drive in the dark after flying from the east coast? Maybe an hour's drive from the airport? Golden? Evergreen? Many thanks.

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
it is about 8.5" which is what fell over the past 2 days, the mountain has been empty too.

ski-ra

Skier
Party pooper!

BTW - skied a few runs w/ Erica, a USFS employee (her ski jacket had a USFS patch on it--something I've not seen at a ski area before--and she was "on the clock" looking at how the ski corp. is complying with their permit...what a job!). Great person and skier!!

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Party pooper!

BTW - skied a few runs w/ Erica, a USFS employee (her ski jacket had a USFS patch on it--something I've not seen at a ski area before--and she was "on the clock" looking at how the ski corp. is complying with their permit...what a job!). Great person and skier!!

HUH??? seriously?

ski-ra

Skier
HUH??? seriously?
Very seriously: she even seemed to be trying to "behave" as if she were on the job (no whooping and hollering while in the stashes of deep stuff we found and no fist pumping when she headed to check in on the Morningside area). She said she works out of the Steamboat USFS office (which is, I believe, on the right side of US40 just past Walton Creek Rd. as you head south out of town - I may need to stop in to say "hi"). I'd tell you about the things I was telling her concerning my "use" of the ski area, but you'd probably shoot me (and perhaps she should've fined me too)!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
oh my .... the stars may just be aligning! thanks Ron .....

should be in the Boat this coming Sunday ... maybe Saturday night ....and weather.com is predicting snow tomorrow, thurs of 8 to 14 inches and cold to keep fresh, then some days starting weekend with fresh ups. I don't really trust long term predictions but if they hold up I'll be one happy camper ... least wise best 10 day 3 days out I've had for years ...

praying.png

2017 Steamboat weather.png

Attachments

• praying.png
    praying.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 7
  • praying.png
    praying.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 11
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
19.5" in 48 hrs and that's from mid mountain......

Here's the latest from NOAA

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow. Widespread fog. High near 22. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow, mainly before 2am. Low around 4. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow, mainly before 4pm. High near 6. Wind chill values as low as -15. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Roby lukens is at the 'boat this week, hopefully he can give a first hand report!

@Ron your heart must be breaking!

Lol, no no heartbreaking please. I already have enough things breaking.

I am fortunate to live where I get to ski a lot of powder. no point going up there and try to ski when I could easily really get hurt and it's not been a blower storm. I am truly happy for everyone who has come out to play in Colorado this week and is enjoying some fresh lines. I'll be back out there once I can ski it the way I want to.:beercheer:

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
Lol, no no heartbreaking please. I already have enough things breaking.

I am fortunate to live where I get to ski a lot of powder. no point going up there and try to ski when I could easily really get hurt and it's not been a blower storm. I am truly happy for everyone who has come out to play in Colorado this week and is enjoying some fresh lines. I'll be back out there once I can ski it the way I want to.:beercheer:
Ron is correct about this not being a blower storm. There was some sleet mixing in near the base yesterday morning and temps have not been terribly cold (mid to upper 20s) so far this week. That will change today and tomorrow with single digit highs forecast. The resort is reporting 28 inches in the last 48 hours and i have no reason to doubt them. The top of the mountain was pretty much a whiteout with fog, snow and blowing snow when we were up there around 2 yesterday afternoon. Lots of moguls on the usually groomed favorites. I think there were probably moguls even on why not. With the visability issues, not a great day for problem knee joints or bad backs. Still pretty fun in a frozen tundra adventure kind of way. Today and especially tomorrow promise to be brighter but cold and a nice last two days for us here this year. Bottom line is the mountain should be set up quite nicely for anyone coming out soon. Ron, it was nice to chat with you sunday and i hope your hip issues are a thing of the past soon. If things go according to plan, i will try to meet up with you again next year.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
today should be "the" day! -5* at the top with calm winds. Go get some snow in your face!

Sponsor

Staff online