• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Steamboat Ski-meet-up Center

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Ron , had a great day yesterday. Sorry I missed you.....skied non-stop pow pow pow. Phone stayed in pocket where it belongs :)

As it should! We ended up doing the same. I'm paying the cost today but we were among the first few on the ridge and into mornignside. Worked our way into some amazing trees (as you can See ). Mid-thigh deep with big sloughing. Fun stuff.

Had fun taking a group of east coasters into these areas. Watching the absolute joy on these guys' faces was priceless. They had never skied something that steep with that deep of powder. Made my day.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Me and the fam will be up at Steamboat this weekend. Skiing WP friday, then Steamboat on Sat/Sun. We'll have both kiddos and might try and get Uly on the magic carpet. Staying at the Rabbit Ears. Ron, let me know if you want to meet up for drinks or dinner or something!

Also, it says there is a 'Winter days' party thing at the town hot springs. We were planning on taking Uly there one day to play in the water- is this something that is worth going to or will it be insanely crowded and we should avoid and go another day?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@kimmyt

If referring to the Winter Carnival, it starts the 7th ...

http://www.steamboatchamber.com/calendar

https://www.steamboat.com/things-to-do/events#

One thing my family always enjoyed is hitting the Hot Spring fed pools in the Athletic Club across the street from the Rabbit Ears ... The Rabbit Ears historically had pretty good discount for visitors. Maybe worth considering if your kids like to lounge about in warm waters. Take a couple of locks, while they have lockers for $1, a padlock is simple and small if you have the space. Towels too which we've used the Hotels a few times. Rentals were a buck so not horrible but this may of gone up ...

Too, if walking the downtown for fun, Lyon's drug (maybe a bit longer for kids) as a soda fountain and Ice Cream ... nothing fancy but old fashioned and my kids always loved stopping if just for a soda. Fuzziwigs candy shop is across the street too.

pete

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Me and the fam will be up at Steamboat this weekend. Skiing WP friday, then Steamboat on Sat/Sun. We'll have both kiddos and might try and get Uly on the magic carpet. Staying at the Rabbit Ears. Ron, let me know if you want to meet up for drinks or dinner or something!

Also, it says there is a 'Winter days' party thing at the town hot springs. We were planning on taking Uly there one day to play in the water- is this something that is worth going to or will it be insanely crowded and we should avoid and go another day?

Kimmy, I am very sad to say i wont be here. But i trust you will have a great time

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
Heading up Monday for all of next week and hoping to see some new pow (vs. the little-more-than-some-rain we had last week). Holler if you'd like to meet up for some turns and/or an informal tour of the mountain. Hoping Ron/Finndog will be feeling up for some....

KQua

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Ron,

This coming season, judging from the past, when is the earliest one can safely plan a ski weekend?
Thanks

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@KQua good question! safely? not sure exactly what that means and one never knows what Ullr plans for next season :) "safe" is probably 3rd week in december for a wider variety of runs and terrain.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading for the 'boat this weekend to witness the high school graduation of our second step-grandchild. (the first is a senior in college. Yipes!)
Was thinking about a hike on Sunday, but looking like cold and rainy.

@Ron, Taking the big sister out for dinner Friday while the graduate and parents attend a school function. Looking for someplace "nice" with good food. Your recommendation??? (We like most kinds of food.)

Gracias!

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron Thank you for the suggestions. We did go to E3 Chophouse and had a great meal, appropriately special for the occasion and the setting couldn't have been nicer.The next night we went to 720 Fusion Fresh. Looks Gawd-awful from the outside, but the sushi was superb. Pretty too! Surprised as busy as the town was that we were the only people in there.
20170527_192021.jpg 20170527_192353.jpg

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Wow! So glad all went so well. To be honest, 720 looks a little dumpy from the outside and I don't know do anyone who has eaten there so thanks for the tip!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb: Next time give Yama a shot when it's open on Yampa and 11th. Really good and I am addicted to real Ramen bowls.

It's still late mud season here but it will look a bit different in the coming weeks.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mud season perhaps, but Steamboat and the surrounding area were almost painfully beautiful. So green, it looked like picturesque postcards of the Austrian countryside.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow! So glad all went so well. To be honest, 720 looks a little dumpy from the outside and I don't know do anyone who has eaten there so thanks for the tip!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb: Next time give Yama a shot when it's open on Yampa and 11th. Really good and I am addicted to real Ramen bowls.

It's still late mud season here but it will look a bit different in the coming weeks.

Yama is on my to try list! Can't wait to get back up and ride my mountain bike. How are the Emerald trails right now? Any local reports since I know you're not riding yet?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
They are almost if not 100% oprn. When r u coming up. We'll go for ramen bowls (double egg).

Jerez. Glad you like our little town. Its truly beautiful in the summer amd fall.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
They are almost if not 100% oprn. When r u coming up. We'll go for ramen bowls (double egg).

Jerez. Glad you like our little town. Its truly beautiful in the summer amd fall.

Don't forget winter...

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I don't have specific plans yet, probably end of June or early July. But friends are heading up this weekend so I told them I'd ask.

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
Time to post to this thread again? I'll be up there a week starting this Wed. eve (Jan. 31...hoping for another "Steamboat Surprise" come Thursday morn). PM me if you'd like to meet up for some turns (I may not be a true local like Ron AKA Finndog but Steamboat is essentially my home mountain).

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Yep. Most people have already come and gone so it’s just quiet. I won’t be skiing but @Bruuuce may be especially if there’s powder. Let us know if you need any help or info.

Greggy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
thanks Ron. I am hoping the snow hasn't come and gone even if the people have. ogsmile Can you recommend a good ski tuning shop? I found Edgewerks and Ski Haus with online searches but those aren't necessarily the best.

Sponsor