• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Someone sell me on Telluride...

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the last major destination mountains I've never visited is Telluride. I know it's supposed to be amazing, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about it.

Anyone want to sell an advanced intermediate on why I should add this to the bucket list? (For reference, my favorite mountains are probably Steamboat, Snowmass, and Big Sky.)

Here's my concerns:
  • I doubt I'm a good enough skier to take advantage of the Gold Hill Stairs/Chutes or Palmyra peak.
  • The map doesn't look all that big.
  • The groomers look pretty short overall
  • Revelation lift is only 500 vertical feet?
  • Statistically, Telluride gets less snow than many other mountains
  • Apparently The Plunge area tends to get icy?
Anyone here a big fan? Is the main allure here more the amazing town and scenery? Do the runs and intermediate/advanced terrain compare to what you'd find at Snowmass and others?

Would love to hear what I'm missing, and what you love about Telluride.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Watching. Telluride is (currently) top of my list for Spring Break with the 10 yo son. But I'm starting to feel that Alta trusted commodity pull . . . it's just boring outside of skiing, and you need a little something extra for the 10 yo to stay fully engaged for a solid week. Telluride the town looks awesome.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
According to some, it emphatically has the 'best beginner skiing in CO'. May be true, but my response is dripping with sarcasm from another thread. ;)

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
According to some, it emphatically has the 'best beginner skiing in CO'. May be true, but my response is dripping with sarcasm from another thread. ;)

You've never been to Telluride, have you?

As for directly addressing @TonyPlush 's concerns:

1. I've skied almost 40 days at Telluride and have never once skied any of the Gold Hill runs or hike-to terrain. There is plenty to enjoy there other than the legendary steeps which are available to experts (snow conditions permitting);
  2. It's not a huge mountain, but it skis plenty big for an advanced intermediate as Lifts 4,5,6,7,9,12,14, and 15 all will have numerous runs you will want to ski.
  3. There are some fantastic long groomers at Telluride with Bushwacker being my favorite. The groomers on lifts 4 and 5 are not very long, but everything on the front side is outstanding. Bushwacker, Plunge, and Lookout are all at 2150 of vertical feet while Milk Run is by itself 1800 when combined with See Forever is a run of over 3700 vertical. Trust me, you aren't going to have a problem in this area as the groomers at Telluride are going to be considerably longer (and steeper) than anything at Big Sky and Steamboat.
  4. Revelation lift is 770 vertical feet, I believe. Perhaps you are confusing it with Morningside at Steamboat which offers 530 vertical feet.
  5. Less snow? Telluride is like Aspen in that it preserves its limited snow very well. I do recommend you go after February 1st. Everything you will want to ski should be in good shape.
  6. The Plunge gets icy? Like just about every ski resort in late season, the freeze/melt conditions are going to affect some runs. This should not be a concern which deters you from visiting.
Overall, Telluride is worth visiting because it's very unique in a number of ways. The mountains are just massive and there is terrain for all skill levels even from the very top of the mountain. And the town really is special. It's hard to describe. Other signature runs for an advanced intermediate to hit: Apex Glade (gorgeous glade), Henry's (moguls), Magnolia and Stella off of Lift 12 and anything else that looks good (because you can see most of the runs off of the lifts). Just so that you know, I too am an advanced intermediate and would rank my Top 5 favorite mountains as being: (1) Whistler, (2) Snowbasin, (3) Telluride, (4) Snowmass, (5) Snowbird.

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
You've never been to Telluride, have you?

As for directly addressing @TonyPlush 's concerns:

1. I've skied almost 40 days at Telluride and have never once skied any of the Gold Hill runs or hike-to terrain. There is plenty to enjoy there other than the legendary steeps which are available to experts (snow conditions permitting);
  2. It's not a huge a mountain, but it skis plenty big for an advanced intermediate as Lifts 4,5,6,7,9,12,14, and 15 all will have numerous runs you will want to ski.
  3. There are some fantastic long groomers at Telluride with Bushwacker being my favorite. The groomers on lifts 4 and 5 are not very long, but everything on the front side is outstanding. Bushwacker, Plunge, and Lookout are all at 2150 of vertical feet while Milk Run is by itself 1800 when combined with See Forever is a run of over 3700 vertical. Trust me, you aren't going to have a problem in this area as the groomers at Telluride are going to be considerably longer than anything at Big Sky and Steamboat.
  4. Revelation lift is 770 vertical feet, I believe. Perhaps you are confusing it with Morningside at Steamboat which offers 530 vertical feet.
  5. Less snow? Telluride is like Aspen in that it preserves its limited snow very well. I do recommend you go after February 1st. Everything you will want to ski should be in good shape.
  6. The Plunge gets icy? Like just about every ski resort in late season, the freeze/melt conditions are going to affect some runs. This should not be a concern which deters you from visiting.
Overall, Telluride is worth visiting because it's very unique in a number of ways. The mountains are just massive and there is terrain for all skill levels even from the very top of the mountain. And the town really is special. It's hard to describe. Other signature runs for an advanced intermediate to hit: Apex Glade (gorgeous glade), Henry's (moguls), Magnolia and Stella off of Lift 12 and anything else that looks good (because you can see most of the runs off of the lifts). Just so that you know, I too am an advanced intermediate and would rank my Top 5 favorite mountains as being: (1) Whistler, (2) Snowbasin, (3) Telluride, (4) Snowmass, (5) Snowbird.

No, I've not had that pleasure yet. Have you been to Cooper?

Sorry, I couldn't avoid the remark in my previous. I didn't mean to stir the pot. Much. I'm not usually snarky. I don't and won't in general argue subjective remarks. Your opinion is yours and in my mind, as valid as mine.

I do look forward to the day when I can roam the country and hit all the areas I currently haven't been able to enjoy.

:beercheer:

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride is fun for an advanced intermediate assuming that you are going to be comfortable skiing runs like Bushwacker and Milk Run that are marked as black diamond but should be easily skiable by an advanced intermediate when recently groomed (which they generally are). It will be even more interesting if you are a little adventurous. Where I feel Telluride falls short a little is the space between that level and low intermediate as many of mid-steep (double blue) runs other than Lookout are fairly short. Other than that, there should be plenty for anyone to keep themselves entertained assuming decent snow and coverage. Revelation is good skiing with great snow preservation despite its limited vertical assuming decent visibility.

The other pros are that it is a great town with lots of good dining options. The scenery is terrific. I understand it is rarely, if ever, crowded.

Finally, the Camel's Garden is a great place to stay as the door to the ski valet is about 25 feet from the Oak Street Lift and maybe twice that to the Gondola but you are in easy walking distance to lots of great dining. We liked Oak Street (onsite) for lunch a lot. It is not a particularly fancy place but should work great for 2 (I had myself and two teenage sons).

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
So, for a 10 YO intermediate - would we be OK taking "Telluride Trail" - single blue - back down to town? Looks OK on paper, and if we can ski back in mid March (sorry I'm hijacking this thread @TonyPlush but at least we're on point!) opens up a lot of less expensive options.

If we need to use the Gondola to come down, might get lazy and stay as close as possible to it.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Following this thread with curiosity, since we have the ability to purchase 50% off lift tickets thanks to the Epic pass :poo: (as a season pass holder at Snowbasin.)
We have friends who ski there almost every year and LOVE it. They are advanced/expert skiers, so I've always wondered where a mere mortal like myself would fit in there.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
hey @Lofcaudio what's your fave place to stay in Telluride? Taking a hard look at Camel's Garden as we want to be in town, we think. A bit spendy, but we think for just the two of us, might not make sense to do Airbnb. Gotta have a hot tub!

I stayed at https://www.telluride.com/lodging/ghostriders on my last trip to Telluride two years ago. I loved the location and it did have a hot tub. The Smuggler's Brew Pub was just a few yards away and that was a wonderful place to eat (along with Brown Dog Pizza, of course).

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
So, for a 10 YO intermediate - would we be OK taking "Telluride Trail" - single blue - back down to town? Looks OK on paper, and if we can ski back in mid March (sorry I'm hijacking this thread @TonyPlush but at least we're on point!) opens up a lot of less expensive options.

If we need to use the Gondola to come down, might get lazy and stay as close as possible to it.

Telluride Trail should be easy enough for an intermediate skier. It's a traverse similar to the traversing trails at Jackson Hole. I highly recommend staying in town if you can.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone want to sell an advanced intermediate on why I should add this to the bucket list? and what you love about Telluride.
gold-hill-pal-sj-best-too-jpg.71147

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Here's a video of my son (neon yellow) and me (throwback blue) skiing the ridge off of the Gold Hill lift (Lift 14). My son was 12 at the time and an intermediate skier. He had no trouble with any of the groomers at Telluride. I mainly want you to see the amazing views in the first 20 seconds of the video:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is just something about Telluride. You can't really analyze it. You add it all together and it is one of the best mountains you will ever ski. I haven't been to Europe but I imagine Telluride is about as close as you get to Switzerland or Chamonix in the US. It should be on everyone's hit list for a day or two, make your own evaluation after that is my advice.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Telluride Trail should be easy enough for an intermediate skier. It's a traverse similar to the traversing trails at Jackson Hole. I highly recommend staying in town if you can.
And really, you can just ski down See Forever and take the Gondola down if need be.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the last major destination mountains I've never visited is Telluride. I know it's supposed to be amazing, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about it.
Why not just go somewhere you're excited about?

Telluride's awesome, and Lofcaudio's given a good rundown of why it would be a good fit for you. On the flip side, there aren't tons of different runs at just the right challenge level, so if you're not going to enjoy doing a great run again and again, it might not be such a good fit. Also in the Free Agent thread you mention that you're a sucker for high-speed lifts... and some of Telluride's best runs for you are under the fixed grip Lifts 7, 9, and 15.

So, for a 10 YO intermediate - would we be OK taking "Telluride Trail" - single blue - back down to town? Looks OK on paper, and if we can ski back in mid March (sorry I'm hijacking this thread @TonyPlush but at least we're on point!) opens up a lot of less expensive options. If we need to use the Gondola to come down, might get lazy and stay as close as possible to it.
Telluride Trail's mostly a switchback catwalk, with a couple steeper sections merged with other trails. The biggest crowds at Telluride tend to be there around quitting time. I've come to the conclusion that it's best to just skip it--you can download the gondola, download Chair 7, or take the bus around if you're not up for skiing the steep parts of the face.
Following this thread with curiosity, since we have the ability to purchase 50% off lift tickets thanks to the Epic pass :poo: (as a season pass holder at Snowbasin.)
We have friends who ski there almost every year and LOVE it. They are advanced/expert skiers, so I've always wondered where a mere mortal like myself would fit in there.
Telluride's website doesn't list Snowbasin or Sun Valley passes as eligible for the discounts, nor does it show any discounts for Telluride's passholders who visit those 2.

I grew up skiing Telluride, had a Snowbasin pass for a couple years, and most recently visited Telluride back when they had the free day exchange with Snowbasin (before either went Epic). And as a mere mortal myself, I think they're both great mountains. The Telluride Face is a lot like the John Paul terrain... some really fun steeps that push me, and tons of stuff outside my ability. There's more terrain at Telluride, and it doesn't funnel down quite so badly into a crowded base, but the lifts are slower.

The heart of the mountain at Telluride is an intermediate paradise... fun, varied runs with high-speed lifts positioned to let you enjoy the fun without long traverses, catwalks, or crowded collectors. Lifts 4, 5, and 12 are somewhat comparable to Wildcat, Middle Bowl, or Porky's, only better-targeted to deliver just the fun stuff, with high-speed capacity to boot.

See Forever, Sundance, Double Cabin, and Galloping Goose are fun long runs with amazing views. But they don't deliver the thrills like Strawberry. They're more like the long, cruisy, fun-in-the-sun groomers at PowMow.

Sponsor

Staff online