• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Someone sell me on Telluride...

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
My view, I fancy myself an advanced skier but my toolbox probably applies more to east coast skiing, the meat and potatoes is the front-side stuff. Plunge and Oak St lifts. Revelation Bowl is nice if the snow is good and it's sun-facing so softens up. Prospect Lift is neat to explore but pretty tame except for the initial steep pitch. I could ski some stuff under Apex lift that's posted double-black even though the conditions weren't great (good east coast conditions). Maybe one or two runs under Gold Hill but hard for me. Really, the front-side was the best. On a powder day, it all gets a lot easier. There are a LOT of easy blues and greens around the village. I wouldn't try the greens..they're nice and you see some nice houses..but they're long and can get tiresome if you're not truly a green skier.

The best thing, for me, about Telluride was the town, the low crowds, the views. It's just more...I dunno..restful. Low nonsense.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Following this thread with curiosity, since we have the ability to purchase 50% off lift tickets thanks to the Epic pass :poo: (as a season pass holder at Snowbasin.)
We have friends who ski there almost every year and LOVE it. They are advanced/expert skiers, so I've always wondered where a mere mortal like myself would fit in there.

You should go--the drive alone from Moab to Telluride is gorgeous and worth the effort.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hard for me to argue with @New2 above. In fact, he's right on the money with everything. I was giddy reading his entry as Snowbasin and Telluride are my two favorite places to ski in the U.S. Just to add a little more information...

My favorite terrain at Telluride is under Lift 9...a slow 14-minute ride...the only saving grace is having a front-row seat to watch some really great skiers ski some ridiculous runs (Spiral Stairs and Kant-Mak-M). But if you hate slow lifts, this will be tedious. As I age, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. My legs appreciate the break.

My only other complaint with Telluride is this: Lift 14 (Gold Hill) offers amazing views and access to some super-fun terrain, but if you aren't an expert and are just sticking to the blue groomers, it's also a ridiculously long catwalk along the ridge of the mountain until you get to the runs where you actually have to execute some decent turns. My video above shows the whole thing in detail. It's not bad the first 3 or 4 times you do it, but it does get old over a 4-day trip.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Telluride is a really amazing place that every skier needs to visit at some point.

Being in the four corners region it can get a mid winter spring cycle that can really melt and/or firm everything up. Sometimes there’s not a lot of terrain to ski with good conditions but I’ve always found something and just being in telluride has always had me leaving happy. It’s got big vertical and every aspect so even during the most difficult conditions you can generally find something with good snow but it might take a little bit to figure it out.

I spent a season in Telluride and two seasons in Steamboat and I feel that Telluride is a much better mountain.

I’d suggest tying this trip together with a couple days in Durango and maybe a day at Silverton. The whole San Juan area is pretty darn incredible.

TS
TonyPlush

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
You've never been to Telluride, have you?

As for directly addressing @TonyPlush 's concerns:

1. I've skied almost 40 days at Telluride and have never once skied any of the Gold Hill runs or hike-to terrain. There is plenty to enjoy there other than the legendary steeps which are available to experts (snow conditions permitting);
  2. It's not a huge mountain, but it skis plenty big for an advanced intermediate as Lifts 4,5,6,7,9,12,14, and 15 all will have numerous runs you will want to ski.
  3. There are some fantastic long groomers at Telluride with Bushwacker being my favorite. The groomers on lifts 4 and 5 are not very long, but everything on the front side is outstanding. Bushwacker, Plunge, and Lookout are all at 2150 of vertical feet while Milk Run is by itself 1800 when combined with See Forever is a run of over 3700 vertical. Trust me, you aren't going to have a problem in this area as the groomers at Telluride are going to be considerably longer (and steeper) than anything at Big Sky and Steamboat.
  4. Revelation lift is 770 vertical feet, I believe. Perhaps you are confusing it with Morningside at Steamboat which offers 530 vertical feet.
  5. Less snow? Telluride is like Aspen in that it preserves its limited snow very well. I do recommend you go after February 1st. Everything you will want to ski should be in good shape.
  6. The Plunge gets icy? Like just about every ski resort in late season, the freeze/melt conditions are going to affect some runs. This should not be a concern which deters you from visiting.
Overall, Telluride is worth visiting because it's very unique in a number of ways. The mountains are just massive and there is terrain for all skill levels even from the very top of the mountain. And the town really is special. It's hard to describe. Other signature runs for an advanced intermediate to hit: Apex Glade (gorgeous glade), Henry's (moguls), Magnolia and Stella off of Lift 12 and anything else that looks good (because you can see most of the runs off of the lifts). Just so that you know, I too am an advanced intermediate and would rank my Top 5 favorite mountains as being: (1) Whistler, (2) Snowbasin, (3) Telluride, (4) Snowmass, (5) Snowbird.
Fantastic info, thanks.

Is See Forever a true groomer zoomer or more of a catwalk?

Snowmass is calling your name...

Snowmass is always calling my name...

Here's a video of my son (neon yellow) and me (throwback blue) skiing the ridge off of the Gold Hill lift (Lift 14). My son was 12 at the time and an intermediate skier. He had no trouble with any of the groomers at Telluride. I mainly want you to see the amazing views in the first 20 seconds of the video:

Amazing...

There is just something about Telluride. You can't really analyze it. You add it all together and it is one of the best mountains you will ever ski. I haven't been to Europe but I imagine Telluride is about as close as you get to Switzerland or Chamonix in the US. It should be on everyone's hit list for a day or two, make your own evaluation after that is my advice.
I believe this, and a big reason why I started this thread.

I felt similar about Alta. I'd always heard every skier needed to experience it, but I never really understood why. I never saw anything on the trail map that made me that excited, either. Then I went there, and I was immediately blown away by what a magical place it was. Something hard to describe where the sum is much more than its parts. Now it's easily one of my favorite mountains.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
See forever is a true groomer. It's an access run to get you to a bunch of different runs but it's not a catwalk. More of a ridge run.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
See forever is a true groomer. It's an access run to get you to a bunch of different runs but it's not a catwalk. More of a ridge run.

I am going to disagree slightly. The upper part of See Forever from Gold Hill to Chair 9 is a combination of very short pitches and cat tracks--it is a total snooze fest. From there down, it is an actual run. This was one of the few disappointments from my trip to Telluride as it is often touted as a must ski run. It is, but only to take pictures.

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m going this year for the first time from Jan 14-18. Probably not the best time of year statistically speaking, but hoping for good conditions while we are there.

Lots of good info here, making my list of runs/areas to explore

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What I think about skiing Telluride is that it has a good balance of terrain from very challenging to beginner. There are some good shorter blue bump pitches that are great for intermediates to work on those skills. Enough trees of varying steepness to keep me happy. If you ski from the top of See Forever to town you have a really long run that takes full advantage of the areas considerable vertical drop.

IMO the best on mountain dining, mid and upper mountain, that I have experienced in the US.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am going to disagree slightly. The upper part of See Forever from Gold Hill to Chair 9 is a combination of very short pitches and cat tracks--it is a total snooze fest. From there down, it is an actual run. This was one of the few disappointments from my trip to Telluride as it is often touted as a must ski run. It is, but only to take pictures.

For 2/3 of the resort's history, See Forever started at the top of Lift 9, and it already had a "must ski" reputation then. I agree the top isn't particularly exciting other than the views. Still, unless it's snowing/foggy the whole trip, I'd recommend anyone but the most timid novices ride to the top and do the full length at least once :ogcool:

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
Telluride is a place that is not only beautiful, it is very accommodating to the guests that visit the mountain. I recall a quick lunch at Bon Vivant: Three of us skied in for a quick bite and a glass of wine. Ordered one tomato bisque, two glasses wine, and a grilled gourmet cheese sandwich. Watch out for the water order! This restaurant can offer only marketed waters. Be careful what you select. WE ended up with a liter of bottled water that must have cost a quite a bit. The total bill was $80 + .:wine::doh::eek:.

My sister-in-law was paying for it and must have been so astounded that she failed to collect her credit card from the table after payment. Around dinnertime she realized she'd lost her card and then assumed it must have been left at Bon Vivant. They concierged the card the next morning to the condo before the lifts were even open for the day. Now THAT is great customer service! hahaha

P. S. bring your wallet. Telluride is not a place for bargains. But worth (almost) every penny.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'd like to get there eventually but with so many other places out west I've still yet to visit I'm not sure when we ever will. It's a daunting destination for me due to the logistical challenges (cost and time) it takes to get there vs many other resorts I've yet to visit.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd like to get there eventually but with so many other places out west I've still yet to visit I'm not sure when we ever will. It's a daunting destination for me due to the logistical challenges (cost and time) it takes to get there vs many other resorts I've yet to visit.

This is very valid. It's also part of what makes Telluride a great place. That extra challenge in getting there keeps the hordes away. I would rather pay a little more and spend a little more time getting to my destination if it means having the place all to myself. Here's my threesome bombing down Lookout (my 12-year old son is in neon yellow). Please notice all the crowds on the run and the lift line:

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
See Forever to Lookout is a pretty fun groomer lap off chair 9. The big right hander at the bottom of Lookout can be pretty thrilling at speed.

Last edited:

robert57

Booting up
Skier
Please notice all the crowds on the run and the lift line:

[/QUOTE]

We travel each year from Oz for our precious few weeks skiing and one of my favourite places is Telluride.

Whistler is the easiest to access from here (Sydney) but is busy and the snow inconsistent.

Our go to is Snowmass as it has the best mix of terrain and a great ski school. That said I went solo to Telluride for 10 days on one trip and loved it. As its hard to access it was very quiet for the whole 10 days I was there due to the bad weather (and excellent snow). The access to lifts was as shown in this video, I could lap Bushwacker nonstop. Some days there was no lift line ropes, just ski to the chair. The views are spectacular, the town is very pretty and the vibe is relaxed. The on hill dining is great. The terrain for a low intermediate is the one limitation, prospect bowl is tame. However as we say "do yourself a favour" try it out. You will have a great time.