• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Someone sell me on Telluride...

James

Out There
Instructor
BE773886-4E37-464E-B2AD-8516D37B95F4.jpeg
If you need more than that to convince...

Never been in winter. The San Juans are the closest to the Alps I’ve seen in the US. Gorgeous. That shot above reminds me of Bruson in Quatres Vallees (Verbier) , Switzerland. The Telluride shot is actually prettier with the green trees. Tree line in the alps is much lower. You’ll never find a tree at 3,000 meters, 9,842ft. That’s 1,000 less than the parking at Abasin. I don’t think you’ll find one at 2,500m, 8,202ft either.

Snowmass is a great mountain to ski, but as a mountain it’s mounded desert. You’ve got to go to Highlands or Ajax for true “mountains”. Rocky, rugged. The view from the top of Highlands Bowl is stunning. Mini Himalayas. I’d imagine Telluride could compete.

9456D650-4169-41FD-9282-7C1CD7CDDED6.jpeg
Bruson (maybe 1,700 meters?)

4E16F302-4AD4-4FAB-985C-999064C405FC.jpeg
Little further over on the path above. 2,100m?

Last edited:

Jnelly

Booting up
Skier
@TonyPlush

I was in the EXACT same boat as you last year, I was not feeling Telluride at all. We had a trip for 4 guys, early 40's, (upper intermediate to advanced level) I won't do metrics as many have already perfectly laid that out but here is the take-away from my perspectives as a typically solo skier, who likes out of the way "dirt bag places" / non-mega resorts that went with a group.

-Obviously the views, but more the ability to sit out with the fellas, have lunch and a brew and enjoy those views, its was amazing.
-The town: walkable, variety of venues for food and drink, good vibes all together.
-Accommodations on town side...perfect...lifts right there, rentals if ya need, the Galloping Goose (bus) was awesome.
-Lift lines were zero (we skied Sun-Wed so it stands to reason)

These things more than made up for some of the things I didn't particularly like about it (for me) in respects to the trails, trees, and other nuances that I personally prefer at other places...but all that said, Telluride was great for our group. Is it my ideal place TO SKI? NO...but the trip was awesome because it was an entire package. I'd say it also depends on your group. Two of us dont mind brown bag and Miller Lite...the other 2 like cocktails and actual meals.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
You've never been to Telluride, have you?

As for directly addressing @TonyPlush 's concerns:

1. I've skied almost 40 days at Telluride and have never once skied any of the Gold Hill runs or hike-to terrain. There is plenty to enjoy there other than the legendary steeps which are available to experts (snow conditions permitting);
  2. It's not a huge mountain, but it skis plenty big for an advanced intermediate as Lifts 4,5,6,7,9,12,14, and 15 all will have numerous runs you will want to ski.
  3. There are some fantastic long groomers at Telluride with Bushwacker being my favorite. The groomers on lifts 4 and 5 are not very long, but everything on the front side is outstanding. Bushwacker, Plunge, and Lookout are all at 2150 of vertical feet while Milk Run is by itself 1800 when combined with See Forever is a run of over 3700 vertical. Trust me, you aren't going to have a problem in this area as the groomers at Telluride are going to be considerably longer (and steeper) than anything at Big Sky and Steamboat.
  4. Revelation lift is 770 vertical feet, I believe. Perhaps you are confusing it with Morningside at Steamboat which offers 530 vertical feet.
  5. Less snow? Telluride is like Aspen in that it preserves its limited snow very well. I do recommend you go after February 1st. Everything you will want to ski should be in good shape.
  6. The Plunge gets icy? Like just about every ski resort in late season, the freeze/melt conditions are going to affect some runs. This should not be a concern which deters you from visiting.
Overall, Telluride is worth visiting because it's very unique in a number of ways. The mountains are just massive and there is terrain for all skill levels even from the very top of the mountain. And the town really is special. It's hard to describe. Other signature runs for an advanced intermediate to hit: Apex Glade (gorgeous glade), Henry's (moguls), Magnolia and Stella off of Lift 12 and anything else that looks good (because you can see most of the runs off of the lifts). Just so that you know, I too am an advanced intermediate and would rank my Top 5 favorite mountains as being: (1) Whistler, (2) Snowbasin, (3) Telluride, (4) Snowmass, (5) Snowbird.
This man knows what he is talking about except for part about being steeper/longer than Big Sky. Telluride rocks....except for getting there.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Bump to add something that I just thought about (and to post a great article). If I were to describe Telluride in a mathematical formula, it would be:

Telluride = Aspen Mountain (Ajax) + Aspen Highlands + Buttermilk

Explanation: Telluride's face (lifts 7-9) is very similar to Aspen Mountain, even the fact that they both spill down into great ski towns. Lifts 1, 4, 5, and 10 are similar to Buttermilk. Everything else (lifts 6, 12, 14, 15 and the hike-to areas) would be the Highlands equivalent.

Telluride, the Ski Town

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
OK welp headed there on Friday with the boy - kung flu be darned. Anybody got a line on lift ticket discounts? We booked hotel (Camel's Garden) and a car on Expedia, flights a la carte and I'm a little sticker shocked by the lift ticket prices. I mean, not the worst I've seen, but 4 days for me and the kid would be almost a whole Ikon pass for me next year. Appreciate any tips! Internet digging has not been too fruitful.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Get ready to have a blast. I look forward to hearing your trip report. I can't help you with lift tickets. It will be pricey, but once you are there...it will be well worth it.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have fun! Call the hotel and see if they can connect you with a discount, or get multi-day from Telluride's website. But they'll be expensive no matter what.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
or find someone with EPIC Pass and ask if they have any friends discounts left... slight savings. HAVE TOO MUCH FUN!! It's an awesome Mt.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
or find someone with EPIC Pass and ask if they have any friends discounts left... slight savings. HAVE TOO MUCH FUN!! It's an awesome Mt.
I did have a buddy turns out, local - but they have to be present with us to get the F&F or SWAB (Ski With a Buddy) passes - which ain't possible :/. I'll make a few calls then just take my lumps. Only thing blocking me from buying Ikon for 20-21 right now is COVID-19. Too early to know if that much travel, or any! would be possible next season. And - that sure feels like a selfish 1st world problem.

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
We were there last week. Our third straight year in a row. Have a blast. It really is a great ski town, especially when traveling with kids.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Only thing blocking me from buying Ikon for 20-21 right now is COVID-19. Too early to know if that much travel, or any! would be possible next season.

Seriously?

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two week countdown to my first ski trip to Telluride. Just hoping this virus panic settles down and it doesn't get cancelled.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just hoping this virus panic settles down...
Unfortunately, that seems extremely unlikely. 2 weeks is not far away, and we're very likely to see thousands more cases of Covid-19 show up (based on projections, models, and other countries), and continued closures of social venues. Will that cancel your trip? That's harder to tell... depends on your comfort with the travel, and all the other variables.

Sponsor