• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
What years are you referring to? Because I am thinking about the 1970's and early 1980's. From what I remember all the big money went to Stowe with their trophy wife's or girlfriend the women were dressed to impress. Designer ski suits full makeup and not a hair out of place. Two runs before lunch and two runs afterwards than right to the lodge/bar.

1960's though 1970's...and maybe into about 1980.

I was a weekend kid at Stowe. We owned a second home in Stowe. Let's say that my parents friends and our family friends were not slouches. Me; "Dad, Mr. Watson is a nice guy. What does he do?" Dad: "He runs a company called International Business Machines. They call it IBM. His dad started it." Me: "Mr. Starr is a nice old man." Dad: "Yes, interesting too. He does a lot of insurance business in the Orient. Travels a lot. Ohh, and he also owns the mountain." There were no trophy wives that I recall. There was a lot of quiet old money, and people really didn't talk about it, let alone flash it. These were families that my grandfather, and father had gone to prep school and college with. My parents were skiing at Stowe in the 1930's with their college friends. My dad had business associates from Boston and NY who owned homes in Stowe. He would bring clients from Europe to visit there, as it seemed European back then.

I think you have Stowe and Sugarbush mixed up on this Mascara Mountain thing. It was Sugarbush. The way you describe things, it was Sugarbush. Serious skiers flocked to Stowe. My dad was named an Olympian for the games that never took place due to WWII, was an officer in the 10th, came back to graduate school in the Boston area, and embarked on a pretty great career. And he, my mom {also a ski racer before WWII} and everybody that they skied with skied bell to bell. Not "skiing" as you describe it.

Sugarbush. PLEASE Google it as I suggested. It's all there. Not many Kennedy's were at Stowe. If you're not aware, the old line Yankee types were no fans of the family. No Cassini's, either. They were hanging out at Sugarbush, at Chez Henri, and similar places. And the people who I knew as Stowe weekenders were not impressed by them. I learned to play golf at a family friends private golf course, at his home, in Stowe. No Hollywood types.

I'm 64. I remember a fair amount about it all. Like I said, my school roommate's father was a fixture there, after his first wife had killed herself in NYC. Usually he was in a fur coat, smoking his French unfiltered cigarettes in a cigarette holder. My parents detested him, and refused to let me spend any time with them. Alex would come to visit us. His father would dress to ski, and never skied. Would be drinking...quite a bit I late realized. My parents would describe that scene as pitiful, and it sort of was.

They surely were not the same place....at all. So Mascara Mountain was the old Sugarbush.

We can discuss Aspen and Vail another time, as they have not turned out as they started. At all. The late Michael Kennedy, who died on Ajax after hitting the tree, skiing backwards playing catch with a football, was my generation, lived in Boston, and was a very misguided person. Many connections through business. Cursed. But at that point the family loved themselves some Aspen.

I think the glitzy stuff at Sugarbush was pretty dead by 1980. And nobody missed it, that I know of.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sugarbush was deemed Mascara mountain by Vogue Magazine and advertisers. Stein Eriksen was at Sugarbush! He was a rep for Bogner. That started the whole styling trend here. Total chick magnet!

Stowe used olive drab wool ponchos on the lift for god's sake!
By the 80's the golden era of skiing was over.

Yet another reference from Skiing Heritage magazine:
View attachment 65767
https://books.google.com/books?id=dVgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA15&ots=bcX2VDoYN4&dq=scandinavian ski shop in ny and mascara mountain&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false

Why would a young woman studying fashion at Parsons go to Sugarbush to learn to ski? Many closer places. Because that's where they all went!
Scandanavian ski shop on 57th street likely had bus trips.
Here is Barbara Ally with Genia Fuller and Susie Chaffee from the 2016 HoF ceremonies in Aspen
IMG_0811.JPG

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
1960's though 1970's...and maybe into about 1980.

I was a weekend kid at Stowe. We owned a second home in Stowe. Let's say that my parents friends and our family friends were not slouches. Me; "Dad, Mr. Watson is a nice guy. What does he do?" Dad: "He runs a company called International Business Machines. They call it IBM. His dad started it." Me: "Mr. Starr is a nice old man." Dad: "Yes, interesting too. He does a lot of insurance business in the Orient. Travels a lot. Ohh, and he also owns the mountain." There were no trophy wives that I recall. There was a lot of quiet old money, and people really didn't talk about it, let alone flash it. These were families that my grandfather, and father had gone to prep school and college with. My parents were skiing at Stowe in the 1930's with their college friends. My dad had business associates from Boston and NY who owned homes in Stowe. He would bring clients from Europe to visit there, as it seemed European back then.

I think you have Stowe and Sugarbush mixed up on this Mascara Mountain thing. It was Sugarbush. The way you describe things, it was Sugarbush. Serious skiers flocked to Stowe. My dad was named an Olympian for the games that never took place due to WWII, was an officer in the 10th, came back to graduate school in the Boston area, and embarked on a pretty great career. And he, my mom {also a ski racer before WWII} and everybody that they skied with skied bell to bell. Not "skiing" as you describe it.

Sugarbush. PLEASE Google it as I suggested. It's all there. Not many Kennedy's were at Stowe. If you're not aware, the old line Yankee types were no fans of the family. No Cassini's, either. They were hanging out at Sugarbush, at Chez Henri, and similar places. And the people who I knew as Stowe weekenders were not impressed by them. I learned to play golf at a family friends private golf course, at his home, in Stowe. No Hollywood types.

I'm 64. I remember a fair amount about it all. Like I said, my school roommate's father was a fixture there, after his first wife had killed herself in NYC. Usually he was in a fur coat, smoking his French unfiltered cigarettes in a cigarette holder. My parents detested him, and refused to let me spend any time with them. Alex would come to visit us. His father would dress to ski, and never skied. Would be drinking...quite a bit I late realized. My parents would describe that scene as pitiful, and it sort of was.

They surely were not the same place....at all. So Mascara Mountain was the old Sugarbush.

We can discuss Aspen and Vail another time, as they have not turned out as they started. At all. The late Michael Kennedy, who died on Ajax after hitting the tree, skiing backwards playing catch with a football, was my generation, lived in Boston, and was a very misguided person. Many connections through business. Cursed. But at that point the family loved themselves some Aspen.

I think the glitzy stuff at Sugarbush was pretty dead by 1980. And nobody missed it, that I know of.
OK I will go with you in the 1960's and early 1970's. But all the guys I knew that skied SB in the late 70's and 80's were all regular people some teachers and blue collar guys. By the 80's I think Stowe was the mountain I described or maybe just the aspirational/new wealth. But the price of skiing Stowe sure reflects the money I talked about above.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, that's awesome! From quote to real life photo.

Barbara is on the left?
Barbara has taken @Tricia under her wing. Every HoF event, Barbara makes sure she spends time with Tricia talking about fashion history. Barbara compliled a fashion history exibit at the Utah Olympic Center in Utah, a must visit if you are there..in the summer or winter.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I started skiing Sugarbush in the '72 and it did have bit of a rep for glamour and youngish, jet-set crowd. Yes it was called mascara Mountain. My best friend's dad was a friend of Stein's and used to produce a show called Ski With Stein. Stowe was always the old money hill in my mind.

Sugarbush's gondola held 4 (I am pretty sure) and all the cars were painted differently which seemed pretty cool. The upper mountain skiing definitely suffered when they replaced it with a couple triple chairs and widened the trails.

Sponsor

Staff online