• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I will start. Which ski area was founded by car dealer Everett Kircher?

I will be disappointed if Tricia does not know the answer.
Boyne Mt. Any Michigan skier should know that one!

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
What ski area was located on the South side of Holland MI for about 10 years?

James

Out There
Instructor
What ski area was known as "Mascara Mountain" ? Late 60's early 70's.

James

Out There
Instructor
Mt.Snow but some also referred to Stowe the same way.
No...this was a little more officially unofficial.

"Its guest list began expanding to include names like Kim Novak, Skitch Henderson, Oleg and Igor Cassini and the Kennedy clan. _________ was dubbed "Mascara Mountain" by Vogue magazine after the numerous models one could find there on any given weekend.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sugarbush.
Stowe NEVER had that attributed to it. I are up there.
Yes! You know more than I do.
IMG_5866.JPG

Was the Sugarbush gondola cool in it's day? It's tiny, was it just two people?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
No...this was a little more officially unofficial.

"Its guest list began expanding to include names like Kim Novak, Skitch Henderson, Oleg and Igor Cassini and the Kennedy clan. _________ was dubbed "Mascara Mountain" by Vogue magazine after the numerous models one could find there on any given weekend.
It would have to be Aspen because I ran into a Kennedy there many years ago.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
It was the out of town people that called it that.

I understand that. It was actually the press, mostly magazines. And I can assure you it was Sugarbush. I recall it well. I went to boarding school, for elementary school, and my roommate’s father was one of the guys you mentioned earlier. Long before they Kennedy clan was playing football on Ajax, they congregated at Sugarbush. Have some family connections there as well.

Google Mascara Mountain,Sugarbush. You’ll see.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I understand that. It was actually the press, mostly magazines. And I can assure you it was Sugarbush. I recall it well. I went to boarding school, for elementary school, and my roommate’s father was one of the guys you mentioned earlier. Long before they Kennedy clan was playing football on Ajax, they congregated at Sugarbush. Have some family connections there as well.

Google Mascara Mountain,Sugarbush. You’ll see.
What years are you referring to? Because I am thinking about the 1970's and early 1980's. From what I remember all the big money went to Stowe with their trophy wife's or girlfriend the women were dressed to impress. Designer ski suits full makeup and not a hair out of place. Two runs before lunch and two runs afterwards than right to the lodge/bar.

James

Out There
Instructor
Sugarbush was deemed Mascara mountain by Vogue Magazine and advertisers. Stein Eriksen was at Sugarbush! He was a rep for Bogner. That started the whole styling trend here. Total chick magnet!

Stowe used olive drab wool ponchos on the lift for god's sake!
By the 80's the golden era of skiing was over.

Yet another reference from Skiing Heritage magazine:
IMG_5867.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=dVgEAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA15&ots=bcX2VDoYN4&dq=scandinavian ski shop in ny and mascara mountain&pg=PA15#v=onepage&q&f=false

Why would a young woman studying fashion at Parsons go to Sugarbush to learn to ski? Many closer places. Because that's where they all went!
Scandanavian ski shop on 57th street likely had bus trips.