• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I dont.... Simply because it can make me defensive, for the entire day.....

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I'm also curious. What's a "high speed" falling leaf?

Dunno exactly on the speed. Not ludicrous speed, but much faster than one would see them in a clinic. Generally on steep blue groomed terrain for that one. It all depends on terrain and which local area and hill I'm skiing. Some first runs start on a cat track... those I do 70/30 railroad tracks (70% weight on the left foot, 30% on the right for turns in both directions, then switch after 15 or so turns), then take that into easy carved arcs when the slope tips up. Generally ski top to bottom first run just trying to find my center, feel my femurs turning under me, and feel that things are starting at my feet. Big pow day? Let'er rip!

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Thanks for this thread. I’ve been considering posting one along the lines of what drills should I master (plus or minus) this season while skiing on my local trash hill in between trips. Lots of good fodder here.

Warm up, speaking only for myself and fwiw, is about activating sensations... whatever wakes up my core, turn my femurs in the hip sockets, and connects my feet to the bottom of the boots is my only goal. I'm never looking for a 'form' outcome.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
whatever wakes up my core,

I've never done it as part of a drill routine, but I have on occasion skied without poles to wake up the core or to validate that a problem is not core related. By without poles, it could be collapsing my three-way-collapsing touring poles, or simply holding poles half way, or giving my poles to a buddy. Steeper, more tracked up, and/or bumpier the better. Really highlights where the core is at and how stable the upper is.

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
Guess it's a pet peeve of mine. Seen it too many times, so offering some advice.

So many skiers make a habit of starting each day with a warm up run, many with drills. Then on a powder day, they have trained themselves that they need that warm up before they hit the powder (probably more psychologically than physically). One run on a groomer and they've missed all the fresh tracks. Just saying, practice like you want to play in the big game!

I am definitely not advocating going and doing hop turns on a pow day, but for a regular day, some drills of increasing intensity are a great way to get going. Even on a pow day I am not going to start hucking the biggest cliffs I can, right off the bat.

Darryl

Booting up
Skier
I like to start the day with some leg swings, hip rotations, a few squats prior to hitting the first chair. For the first few runs I will then ski with my boots unbuckled as it helps me find my balance point very quickly, and then once I do up my boots I will work on Javelin turns for a run and then regular skiing begins. I will throw in the odd drill during the day if I notice I am doing something wrong - not separating the legs and body enough, or getting in the back seat.

The days where I spend the more time warming up are the days where I ski my best.

GinBuck

What's a mogul?
Skier
Get there, point the sticks down the hill, and GET ON YOUR BIKES AND RIDE!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Kinda depends.

After a protracted break from skiing it's ease back into to it with some gentler runs and a few drills. Why risk the whole holiday/season damaging yourself by going too hard too quick?

But later, when more in the zone, I'm with @tball - on a pow day, find balance by shuffling feet on that short bit leading to the favorite slope. That's enough warm-up - let's see how many laps before the wide open runs get tracked out and its time to head into the trees.

Sponsor