• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Bag Fees on Airlines?

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Well Southwest has made good on it. Very easy to deal with actually, i'd say excellent service. Maybe becase I didnt claim some outrageous value for the items. I will say if you have new skis keep the receipts.

It's unfortunate there had to be an issue.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Kudos to Southwest - they managed to make a silly windy flying day with several gust delays very smooth. I'm betting there were several rushed baggage transfers.

One ski bag lost wheels. The other (a double padded Sandpiper) is perfectly fine except for some friction burns on the end.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I'm flying Delta with 4 pairs of skis next week... I'll report on my experience but I'm prepared to pay a lot for it.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm flying Delta with 4 pairs of skis next week... I'll report on my experience but I'm prepared to pay a lot for it.
I always used a SportTube hard case. I had a buddy who had a binding ripped off his ski inside a soft bag. That sealed it for me. Airlines have beat the crap out of the case but never any damage to my skis. To me the piece of mind is worth any negatives.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I always used a SportTube hard case. I had a buddy who had a binding ripped off his ski inside a soft bag. That sealed it for me. Airlines have beat the crap out of the case but never any damage to my skis. To me the piece of mind is worth any negatives.

These are going bubble-wrapped and inside of a 6-pair bag. It will weigh roughly 100lbs when full, so no one will be throwing it any where.

...and I pity the fool who messes up a pair of my skis... :duck:

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are going bubble-wrapped and inside of a 6-pair bag. It will weigh roughly 100lbs when full, so no one will be throwing it any where.

...and I pity the fool who messes up a pair of my skis... :duck:
I'm with ya brothuh, but that doesn't stop the bastages from quoting the Contract of Carriage and just generally messing up your day. BTW, have fun paying for a 100 lb bag. Yikes!

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Southwest is still free AFAIK.

Didn't pay for skis when I flew from San Diego to Reno in January, in fact on a couple of occasions I've taken a double-pair ski bag up with me; as long as it's less than 50 pounds they don't seem to care.

Now if I could just get SW to go back to their previous SAN -> RNO -> SAN flight schedules so I can get a good dinner after arriving on the way up and a full day on the last day before going back... :doh:

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Bubble wrap just melts when they drag the bag on the ground. Not sure if they make Nomex padding.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
Are these all yours? Or family? If all yours, I have to know what this quiver is you are taking...
I've never taken more then 1 pair...although I should have multiple times.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Bubble wrap just melts when they drag the bag on the ground. Not sure if they make Nomex padding.

Isn't that what 'roo leather is for?

I really wish Sandpiper hadn't stopped making ski / board bags - the two I have are far beyond anything else I've purchased but fat skis are starting to make them feel small.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Are these all yours? Or family? If all yours, I have to know what this quiver is you are taking...
I've never taken more then 1 pair...although I should have multiple times.

They are all mine. $100 bag fee... So not terrible in terms of fees. Could have been worse.

The list is:
  • Fischer Motive 95, 180
  • Fischer WC Master, 188
  • Fischer WC SL, 165
  • Blossom White Out, 176

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Flying Alaska for a trip in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Ski bags are definitely exempt from their oversize baggage fee.

In general, though, when airlines say that one ski and boot bag count as one item of checked baggage, how lenient are they with what counts as a boot bag? Do my actual boots have to be in it? :) Can I show up with a fully stuffed Transpack without the boots in the side pockets and have that count? It's been a while since I've flown with ski gear and my memory about what I got to pass for a boot bag is getting hazy.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
(Related, does anyone have any favorite "external" boot bags besides the Transpack Sidekick line?)

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I traveled with a transpackn loaded with stuff and boots, then carried on another pair of boots. Yes, brought two pair. That was Southwest. Don't know what would happen if no boots. Maybe put shoes in?

For bags last trip I used a Synch bag where you can strap boots on the outside. The set up is pretty good for traveling. It probably weighed 30 something pounds filled. You take boots off to get on plane so it's not so huge. Was pretty good for trains and buses with them lashed down. ( No transpacknon that trip)

Here's the bag. The setup is ok but the bag was poor because if the zipper. The zipper to the top pocket never worked right. Didn't think I'd be able to close it which isn't good when you've just started the trip and this happens on the plane. Was a constant struggle but it functioned. But I like the relatively large pack with ability to strap boots on.

I got it for half off so not so bad but jeez could you use a decent zipper?
I also think the one with external zipper is better layout for travel. The blue is quite nice.

The little side things unzip and create a heel support.

image.jpg

image.jpg
http://www.syncperformance.com/review/product/list/id/1427/category/9/

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(Related, does anyone have any favorite "external" boot bags besides the Transpack Sidekick line?)

The Lange Pro Boot Backpack is my favorite by far. I think Rossi does a similar one. It is a real backpack, with a good hipbelt and sternum strap. It doesn't have a ton of bells and whistles as far as pockets and whatnot, though it has a few; it's just really comfy to carry when heavy.

LKDB103_LANGE_PRO_001__63179.1407357011.1280.1280.jpg

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
ooh, I just looked at the Rossi one, and it looks like it has addressed some of the shortcomings, like the little covers over the boot tops (for when it's snowing), and a couple of easier-to-access pockets. Not sure it has ski carry like the Lange, and the hip belt looks skimpier, but not sure.

71Yetfxj0EL._SL1280_.jpg

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
ooh, I just looked at the Rossi one, and it looks like it has addressed some of the shortcomings, like the little covers over the boot tops (for when it's snowing), and a couple of easier-to-access pockets. Not sure it has ski carry like the Lange, and the hip belt looks skimpier, but not sure.

71Yetfxj0EL._SL1280_.jpg
That looks pretty good. Hard to tell the size but it's not tiny. I have a Dakine Heli. It's absurdly small. I pack it in the luggage. It would be a waste of a carry on. The idea is to put other stuff in. I ended up with everythingbto go skiing the first day in it. Went right from train to ski rental and changed. Being able to take the boots off on outside is good for plane and other times.

The Sync bag is a good size. If it had the outside zippers like the Rossi it would be great. Assuming decent zippers. They make a coach's bag that does but then doesn't have the external boot holders. Which is moronic.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That looks pretty good. Hard to tell the size but it's not tiny. I have a Dakine Heli. It's absurdly small. I pack it in the luggage. It would be a waste of a carry on. The idea is to put other stuff in. I ended up with everythingbto go skiing the first day in it. .

*shrug* I don't know how much you carry skiing; the one above has 2 pairs of gloves, goggles, balaclava, neck gaiter, laptop, charger, a tablet and two paperbacks in it.

*edit: and car keys and headphones :)

Sponsor

Staff online