• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ski Bag Fees on Airlines?

James

Out There
Instructor
Experiences on Airlines?
Southwest still has the fine print on bag dimensions. L + w + h < 62 inches or it's $75. But they don't impose that with skis? Anyone fly South West lately with skis?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Experiences on Airlines?
Southwest still has the fine print on bag dimensions. L + w + h < 62 inches or it's $75. But they don't impose that with skis? Anyone fly South West lately with skis?
Southwest is still free AFAIK.

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
@James you're good to go and can check 3 bags total: luggage, boot-bag, ski-bag.

From southwest site Baggage-->SportsEquipment:
https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...l#baggage_special_luggage_pol_tab_list_tab_15

Snow ski equipment, including skis or snowboards, ski boots, and ski poles: including one pair of skis or one snowboard, one set of poles, and one pair of ski/snowboard boots encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier. When substituting ski equipment for a free bag, Southwest Airlines allows up to two bags (containing one set of snow skis, ski poles, and ski boots) to count as one item, even if they are packed and tagged separately.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
I will be flying SW to Denver next week. I have a Transpack that holds my boots, and, I've had no issues bringing this on board in the past, and, putting them in a overhead. That's my plan for next week. I know there is tightening of the regs, we will see.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
I will be flying SW to Denver next week. I have a Transpack that holds my boots, and, I've had no issues bringing this on board in the past, and, putting them in a overhead. That's my plan for next week. I know there is tightening of the regs, we will see.
Which Transpack fo you have for carry on? The one with the boots outside?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I just flew Southwest with bootbag and two pair of skis in a double ski bag. The regs say one pair of skis and one pair of poles are allowed in a bag. They ignored that totally. Most ski bags that I saw coming off the plane in Denver were big and carried two pair of skis.

The ski bag and boot bag together count as ONE of your TWO free checked bags.

If you get confused and think you can bring two free checked bags PLUS the skis and bootbag (because you keep hearing that they are "free"), well they do count and you get charged for your extra checked bag. That charge is $75.
Ask me how I know....

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Which Transpack fo you have for carry on? The one with the boots outside?
Yes, my Transpack has the boots on the outside. I do have to remove the boots to store them in an overhead. I also buy SW's priority boarding upgrade so I can get this done while the plane is still mostly empty.
See you in Aspen!

Chris Geib

cgeib
Skier
I just flew Southwest with bootbag and two pair of skis in a double ski bag. The regs say one pair of skis and one pair of poles are allowed in a bag. They ignored that totally. Most ski bags that I saw coming off the plane in Denver were big and carried two pair of skis.

The ski bag and boot bag together count as ONE of your TWO free checked bags.

If you get confused and think you can bring two free checked bags PLUS the skis and bootbag (because you keep hearing that they are "free"), well they do count and you get charged for your extra checked bag. That charge is $75.
Ask me how I know....

How do you know?

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
On the way back, I tried to compress my bags so I'd have one less, to avoid having to pay the $75 again (feeling real stupid the whole time, of course).
But things just wouldn't fit. I gave in and knew I'd be learning my lesson the hard way, twice.
The guy who was checking in my bags said to me, you know this is going to cost an extra $75. I said, yes. He said just carry it to the gate. Maybe they will
let you carry it on. And if they don't, they may simply check it for you and not charge you.

Well, they let me carry it on. Everyone was too busy to stop me and enforce a rule as the plane was boarding.
Another lesson learned.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Flew Southwest. Skis, bootbag, suitcase. No fee. Unfortunately ski bag, a vest, and a binding were damaged. Vest is ruined, binding heel ruined, bag has holes and strap ripped.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Flew Southwest. Skis, bootbag, suitcase. No fee. Unfortunately ski bag, a vest, and a binding were damaged. Vest is ruined, binding heel ruined, bag has holes and strap ripped.
Sorry. I hate airline damage. It always feels like a gamble.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

Bummer! No doubt about it, ski bags just get thrown around. Never had the damage you described, but, I'm sure it happens. At least you did not have to pay $50 and have the damage. Are you going to make a claim?

Southwest did good by me with respect to letting my Transpack backpack with boots attached on outside into the cabin as a carry on.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I wrap my bindings in bubble wrap, but it sounds like what took out your ski bag was stronger than bubbles.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes bubble wrap would have melted. The bag seems to have been dragged on the ground at some speed. Griffon Binding looks like it was sanded with a belt sander in one spot. Vest was melted to binding.
At least the good pair of skis wasn't ruined.

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've had success carrying on my boots on both AA and DL. I strap them to the a-frame straps of the 20L backpack linked below. Mainline aircraft, they fit overhead. I was in a CRJ-200 on the Aspen trip and they were snugly underneath the seat.

My skis weren't damaged on the Aspen trip, but both the shoulder straps and the hand strap ripped on my bag. I'll probably duct tape a handle together. I'm worried not having one will lend itself to more abusive handling in the future.

http://www.skis.com/Oakley-Snowmad-20-Backpack-2012/246602,default,pd.html

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Just remembered, on the Denver-Philly return trip, I had to sign a Southwest waiver for my ski bag, naturally I read the fine print before signing (not), but, it's either sign or they will not take the baggage. Just thinking, but, there probably is language that protects them from damage claims. Did not have to sign a waiver for Philly to Denver.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
The bag seems to have been dragged on the ground at some speed. Griffon Binding looks like it was sanded with a belt sander in one spot. Vest was melted to binding.

Man, that's just wrong! You need to make a claim and really push for compensation.