• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
Can’t believe nobody has mentioned the ski everyone rates the best for what the OP is asking for: Stockli Laser AX

Unfortunately there is no CSIA pro deal for Stockli. Most instructors in Canada will buy a discounted pair of Rossis, Atomics, Heads, Fischers, etc for 25% of the retail cost of Stockli and accept 90% of the performance, which is just fine when it's really the archer that they have to work on, not the arrow.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Unfortunately there is no CSIA pro deal for Stockli. Most instructors in Canada will buy a discounted pair of Rossis, Atomics, Heads, Fischers, etc for 25% of the retail cost of Stockli and accept 90% of the performance, which is just fine when it's really the archer that they have to work on, not the arrow.
There’s no pro form deal with PSIA for Stockli or Kastle in the US either,but by contacting the reps directly, there are pro form deals for pros. Just contact the rep.

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
There’s no pro form deal with PSIA for Stockli or Kastle in the US either,but by contacting the reps directly, there are pro form deals for pros. Just contact the rep.

We (PSIA) have access to discounts on Stockli through https://www.thesnowpros.org/ (PSIA national's website).

So you’d think, but they want to see you do it on a ski that’s got a radius of something like 18+.

If I recall correctly, @Magi adopted that ski as his exam ski and attained PSIA level 3 last season.

Love the AX. Still skiing great, perfectly suited for exam tasks and general all mountain-ing. :thumb:

Slasher

Getting on the lift
Skier
Just contact the rep.

Believe me, many of us have ... no joy unless we are personally connected to the rep or become "ambassadors" who meet a target of sales referrals, i.e. become unpaid salespeople :-( I don't know why Canadian instructors get no love from Stockli, but that's just how it is at the moment.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Finally managed to do some demo-ing of sub-80mm skis due to a couple of demo days and a little expenditure.

For what it's worth here's skis that seemed to suit my own criteria (not too heavy, can flex for the bumps):

Make the short list:
  • Volkl Racetiger SC (3D glass) - Fun ski. Hired this for a whole day and had a ball. (Ah ha, that's how McGlashan looks so good in the bumps! Yeah, not really - see below for the Deacon.)
  • Head iRally - Another fun ski. Great ski for shorts and wonderful in the bumps. If the price is right...
  • Dynastar Master Speed SL. Bit of a surprise. Nice ski.
Otherwise:
  • Elan SLX 165. Wow, what a lively ski. Nice in the bumps too. But it's heavy - if I was younger it'd be in the mix.
  • Dynastar Speed Zone 12, Kastle MX74, Head iSpeed. The iRally worked better IMO.
  • Volkl Deacon 74. How the hell does McGlashan make that ski look good in the bumps?
There were also a few other skis that were kind of forgettable.

Partly solved the weight issue by getting Atomic Hawx Ultra boots. They are 585 grams (1.29lbs) lighter per boot. Rest of the solution I suspect lies in physical conditioning and skiing a little less - less days before a rest day and less runs per day.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
So what's your final decision? There have been so many highs and lows in this thread I can't wait to hear :)

James

Out There
Instructor
So what's your final decision? There have been so many highs and lows in this thread I can't wait to hear :)
Yeah. You’ve been dating for six months! Surely you’ve made a choice. I suspect it’s ...
yllar daeh

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
The RaceTigers top of list atm.

Next week planning a one or 2 day dalliance with some Stocklis. I can test 2 models depending on availability. The AX should probably be one. Given the shortlist above any suggestions for the other? CX, SX, SC?

(The AX is labelled "All Mountain". Is it? 78 under foot seems narrow for the classification. I'm finding All Mountain skis very bland these days - like driving the family station wagon.)

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
AX is as "all mountain" as the Laser series gets. But yes, it is good pretty much all over the mountain. And up to boot-top freshies. I also am of the opinion that the AX ticks all the boxes in the OP. My most favorite ski ever in bumps. Actually, my most favorite ski...period/full stop.

James

Out There
Instructor
(The AX is labelled "All Mountain". Is it? 78 under foot seems narrow for the classification. I'm finding All Mountain skis very bland these days - like driving the family station wagon.
That’s all mountain in Euro. Or for you Csia clinic leaders who think your 88’s are fat.
Nice ski. A classic. The other choice - SC probably.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So demo-ed the Stockli AX (168) for a day. After all the positive comments in pugski and from a couple of ski buddies who use them I was really, really looking forward to trying them out. Unfortunately it was a disappointing experience. Whatever others get from that ski, I don't. Didn't want to flex in the bumps, didn't want to hook up on the groomers, didn't inspire confidence at speed, far too willing to pivot rather than arc.

Probably the most telling point (for me) is that a fortnight back after testing a bunch of skis I'd skied home on my well used (>200 days) Blizzard Bushwackers and thought wow these skis are so dead. Back on the Bushwackers after the day on the AXs and I'm thinking these Bushwackers aren't too bad.

Now it probably wasn't the best conditions for putting skis through their paces - a tad of man-made fairy dust on a cement base - however I did have 2 runs on a pair of Rossi Hero STs (good ski, slightly heavy for me) and skied the worn-out 'Wackers in identical conditions as a comparison.

The local dealer had sold all the other demo skis so was unable to try anything else from the Stockli range.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Having owned 180 Bushwacker and now owning 175 AX, all I can say is something was drastically wrong with the AX you skied :huh:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The RaceTigers top of list atm.

Next week planning a one or 2 day dalliance with some Stocklis. I can test 2 models depending on availability. The AX should probably be one. Given the shortlist above any suggestions for the other? CX, SX, SC?

(The AX is labelled "All Mountain". Is it? 78 under foot seems narrow for the classification. I'm finding All Mountain skis very bland these days - like driving the family station wagon.)
Given that the Race Tiger is on the top of your list, and given what you say about the other skis you have compared them to, you need to try the SC.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Give the Liberty a try.. I was wowed on the 76V perfect for early morning frozen and skied well in spring corn bumps.. Really nice ski

James

Out There
Instructor
didn't want to hook up on the groomers, didn't inspire confidence at speed, far too willing to pivot rather than arc.
Weird. Maybe it was mounted much too forward. Or there’s a batch of counterfeit Stockli’s down in OZ.

Your season will be over before you get a ski.

TS
geepers

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
need to try the SC

Give the Liberty a try

Love to check out those skis. But not available.

Weird. Maybe it was mounted much too forward. Or there’s a batch of counterfeit Stockli’s down in OZ.

Your season will be over before you get a ski.

Long term Stockli dealer reckons it was in prime condition. His words were "why give a badly tuned ski to a potential customer?"

Yep, my Oz season is about done due to other commitments. In any event skis seem expensive in Oz - A$1400 for iRallys 2019/20. (That does include tax.)

Updated boots this Oz season as easier to dial in when the boot fitter is practically next door. (A lot easier than being up a mountain with no car when the boot guys are in the town below.)

At least I now know which skis I will get for Canada 2020.

James

Out There
Instructor
Love to check out those skis. But not available.

Long term Stockli dealer reckons it was in prime condition. His words were "why give a badly tuned ski to a potential customer?"

Yep, my Oz season is about done due to other commitments. In any event skis seem expensive in Oz - A$1400 for iRallys 2019/20. (That does include tax.)

Updated boots this Oz season as easier to dial in when the boot fitter is practically next door. (A lot easier than being up a mountain with no car when the boot guys are in the town below.)

At least I now know which skis I will get for Canada 2020.
$1,400 Aussi dollars? So that’s $950ish US, or $1,260 Canadian.
Dude, get a last year model. Take atrip down to Seattle. it’s just a Rally. Try the Liberty in Canada maybe.

Sponsor

Staff online