• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Holy moly - the ones getting whipped out a few seconds in is really scary. Glad to see at least some people helping others get out of the way, rather than filming for youtube.

Last edited:

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yikes... What a dilemma.. Bar up or down? It doesn't seem to make a difference... either way they were screwed. :eek: I hope I never see that here!!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
man this vid makes me pucker something fierce. this is the stuff skiing nightmares are made of.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just saw this and was like....:eek:
This appears to be a fairly contemporary chair.
Just riding along in a chair when.......Oh Shit!
Horrifying

And this pile of chairs.
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 9.49.29 AM.png

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting to see how people reacted in these videos. You have some shocked to paralysis, some trying to help, some filming and getting entertainment. I think you can look at a video like this and really see what kind of person a person is.

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
This same thing happened at Devil's Head in Wisconsin a couple of years back.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jump is the correct answer!

Whenever the chair that I'm on stops, I always think (jokingly) Hmmmm... can I jump from here? A lot (most ) of the time no. Too High!!

That scene looks like total carnage.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Whenever the chair that I'm on stops, I always think (jokingly) Hmmmm... can I jump from here? A lot (most ) of the time no. Too High!!

That scene looks like total carnage.

Seeing this type of video can definitely help you try to prepare for it should it happen to you. One of the first things I tell new speed skiers is to consider what you will do when something goes wrong. You don't have time to make a plan, you need it already formed and ready to roll out.

Jumping off definitely looks like the right option in this case. I wonder whether with or without skis, though. Some of the jumpers looked like they were encumbered on the ground by their skis.

colospgmike

Putting on skis
Skier
somebody post on this that knows more than I- On a rollback would there not be an E-stop electrical or mechanical or both to stop or arrest this during the event. I know there are variables, operator, year built, real safety checks ect. Or is the rollback a complete system fail and anything in place that would stop this has already hard failed?
Painful vid to watch.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seeing this type of video can definitely help you try to prepare for it should it happen to you. One of the first things I tell new speed skiers is to consider what you will do when something goes wrong. You don't have time to make a plan, you need it already formed and ready to roll out.

Jumping off definitely looks like the right option in this case. I wonder whether with or without skis, though. Some of the jumpers looked like they were encumbered on the ground by their skis.

I'd get skis off if I could, but the first few chairs probably didn't have time. Looked like after a few chairs folks had figured out they'd need to bail. I think the biggest problem with skis on is you'd probably hit the person next to you (and vv) with them - or fall on them with your skis. The video makes it look like most of the people bailing out probably got away with only bumps/bruises though.

BTW - I thought lifts were supposed to have devices that prevented exactly this. I suppose it broke or wasn't working properly?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh, it looked like one person still had the bar down. They are lucky if they didn't suffer major internal injury from ragdolling against it.

Based on an older video of a rollback I've seen I have actually thought this through. If the bar was down and I had enough time I would quickly use the foot rest to support my skis while I popped the bindings and got rid of them and poles. Bar up then be ready to jump as soon as I saw what looked to be a decent height jump. If no bar or no footrest I would attempt to pop the bindings before jumping but if I couldn't then get rid of poles early and jump with the skis on. Screw the acl, I'd like to survive.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think this was a case where all systems failed. If you look at the bullwheels of lifts, you can see the calipers that are the e-brake for the lift. In these videos it is hard to see the actual mechanics of the lifts and whether they have failed.

Sponsor

Staff online