• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
I guess since I never considered airline traveling with 2 skis I thought it would be more appropriate having a few one-ski-quiver skis to choose from depending on what is expected, a mid fat that leans towards being on piste (and no fresh snow in a while), which would be my Nordica NRGy 100 skis, and one slightly wider that leans towards off piste / powder for when I can expect fresh snow a few times while I'm there.

I'm really torn between the two I have pretty much decided on.

The Backland 109 is slightly less expensive, great in soft snow and supposed to be not so great on groomed.

The QST 106 is supposed to be as good or better in powder than many skis considerably wider than it, and it's supposed to be good but not great on the groomed.

Was hoping to get more "loved them" or "hated them" feedback before I decided on which ones.

Time to break out the quarter and flip it?

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
... Or demo them both, then decide based on what YOU like.

Ideally that would be the best thing to do, but I’m my case I don’t think it’s practical, one week out west...and the likelihood they wouldn’t have both or even one of them at the mountain of my choice.

I don’t think I could go wrong with either and I think both would fit the bill.

* appropriate for advanced intermediate
* great in powder that isn’t bottomless

I think I should steer clear of bottomless anyway, these tree well deaths and inbound avalanches are terrifying.

Condolences to the families and friends of those that perished doing what they loved this weekend - TWO at Mt Bachelor in one day and 2 in California the same day.

It’s especially scary for me because I currently go solo and stay at ski dorms or hostels. They say “no friends on a powder day” and that probably applies especially to funny looking strangers on their own!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the Icelantic Nomad 105, 115 or 125. I know the Nomad 105 is really closer to a 108.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Check out the Icelantic Nomad 105, 115 or 125. I know the Nomad 105 is really closer to a 108.

With all due respect, adding other options here isn’t gonna help me in my whittling down my choices dilemma sitcheeation!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
With all due respect, adding other options here isn’t gonna help me in my whittling down my choices dilemma sitcheeation!
True, but since you seem to like the NGRY, these lean towards lighter, but better dampness.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Seems to quite a bit of positive reviews and PR for the QST 105's in the ski mags and virtually none for the Backland FR 109's...does that mean anything?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems to quite a bit of positive reviews and PR for the QST 105's in the ski mags and virtually none for the Backland FR 109's...does that mean anything?

Salomon paid for more PR?

Seriously though, one of the things that was critical in my choice was how the ski handled groomers back to the lift etc. When I demoed the Backland 109 we had very little new snow. I still loved it and bought it within a few weeks.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier

Seriously though, one of the things that was critical in my choice was how the ski handled groomers back to the lift etc. When I demoed the Backland 109 we had very little new snow. I still loved it and bought it within a few weeks.

That’s interesting, and is kinda the opposite of what the other young lady said about them!

I think it really is a coin toss at this point.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Both are great skis for what you say you want, do you like orange? That could be the solution to picking... and it wouldn't be a mistake, in this case.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier

Well it makes you wonder, with there being so much about the QST 106 and it’s sister ski “Stella” in the ski magazines, and virtually nothing about the male or female versions of the Backland FR 109 skis, if the Solomons are better skis or if Salomon did a much bigger PR push for these skis. It might not make too much sense because I understand that Salomon and Atomic related companies under the same parent company?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Both Salomon and Atomic are owned by Amer (sp?) Sports.

I agree you can’t go wrong on either choice. I would steer you slightly in one direction over another but you could as easily choose on price or graphics.

I do think the QST 106 is widely praised as an excellent intermediate to advanced skier’s powder/all mountain ski so there, I said it. Buy that one!!!

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
I guess since I never considered airline traveling with 2 skis I thought it would be more appropriate having a few one-ski-quiver skis to choose from depending on what is expected, a mid fat that leans towards being on piste (and no fresh snow in a while), which would be my Nordica NRGy 100 skis, and one slightly wider that leans towards off piste / powder for when I can expect fresh snow a few times while I'm there.

One point to add: Snow in parts of the west (aka CO/Utah) can be *really* light. I've come to realize that a big part of my bias toward narrow skis is that I'm on the underlayer in anything less than about 12 inches on a 95 underfoot ski in the snow I usually see here in Winter Park. Case in point a visiting instructor from PA waas crazy psyched about how light and fluffy the snow that's falling today is. The folks that had been there for a while had to explain that it was actually "wet and heavy" relative to what we normally see (this snow was easy to pack into a snowball).

Are you selecting a 106-ish width based on your experience and needed float out East?

I'll also throw out that (in my limited experience, because I travel with two skis) it's usually easier to find a big wide ski to demo/rent out west than a high performance narrow/midfat one.

If you can't travel with two skis (an idea that I highly suggest! it isn't that big a deal if you get the right bag). I'd suggest you travel with the ski you'd want to be on if the snow *doesn't* happen, and have a spot picked out to demo the ski you want to be on for the big days.

Reactions: BMC
TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Decided on the Atomic Backland FR 109 skis with Salomon Warden MNC 13 bindings.

:)

Thanks for the help.

I had to pay $60 more; while I was thinking about it the place that had them for the best price sold out of the 182’s.

☹️

Now I just gotta get my knee situated before we head into thaw / melt season.

Maybe the Canada Rockies stay winter-like into April?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Then why not the Ripstick 106?

Tried this one earlier this year when we had 20" fresh at whistler. Totally fun, they pop and pivot easy and handle decent amounts of speed, more fun for the trees than my SR95's that day. I'd buy them in a heartbeat if I was skiing soft fresh stuff all the time.

Sponsor

Staff online