• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renting a vehicle for Jackson to Big Sky trip

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I've never had to rent a vehicle for a western ski trip. I'm going to be driving from Jackson to Big Sky in February. I'm assuming that I should rent something with 4WD, right? Am I kidding myself thinking a rental would have snow tires in WY?

I'm very comfortable driving in the snow here in the northeast but maybe there's something I wouldn't think to consider out west? Any advice would be appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, I've never had to rent a vehicle for a western ski trip. I'm going to be driving from Jackson to Big Sky in February. I'm assuming that I should rent something with 4WD, right? Am I kidding myself thinking a rental would have snow tires in WY?

I'm very comfortable driving in the snow here in the northeast but maybe there's something I wouldn't think to consider out west? Any advice would be appreciated.
Rentals in Jackson can't be cheap. Is that because you are flying into Jackson? Have you considered Idaho Falls or even Salt Lake? I doubt the car will be equipped with snows, most likely All-Seasons.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Rentals in Jackson can't be cheap. Is that because you are flying into Jackson? Have you considered Idaho Falls or even Salt Lake? I doubt the car will be equipped with snows, most likely All-Seasons.

Yes, I'm flying into Jackson. I'm skiing 3 days at Jackson Hole then driving up to Big Sky for the first half of the Gathering.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
You really get raked over the coals renting cars in Jackson in the winter, especially 4WD. I paid $1400 for a 4Runner for 5 days last January just to make sure I could get over the pass to Targhee (luckily it was a "business trip"). I don't believe any major rental car company in the US rents vehicles with snow tires. The only time I've ever gotten them was dumb luck in Calgary, where a car had just been returned from Quebec (where winter tires are required on rentals in season). If you use a small local company (i know of a few in AK and UT, not familiar with any in Jackson), you might be able to get winter tires.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you rent early enough, prices aren’t that bad (even in Jackson). I just rented a full size SUV (Tahoe or similar) for 8 days in President’s week for $600 and change. Last year I got a Tahoe for less than $500 for a week that included MLK weekend.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You really get raked over the coals renting cars in Jackson in the winter, especially 4WD. I paid $1400 for a 4Runner for 5 days last January just to make sure I could get over the pass to Targhee (luckily it was a "business trip"). I don't believe any major rental car company in the US rents vehicles with snow tires. The only time I've ever gotten them was dumb luck in Calgary, where a car had just been returned from Quebec (where winter tires are required on rentals in season). If you use a small local company (i know of a few in AK and UT, not familiar with any in Jackson), you might be able to get winter tires.

Yeah, the pricing is a bit painful. I'm not going to worry about snow tires seeing as it's not really an option ogsmile As for the 4WD, I'm assuming I'd be an idiot if I didn't rent one? 2WD a big mistake?

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, the pricing is a bit painful. I'm not going to worry about snow tires seeing as it's not really an option ogsmile As for the 4WD, I'm assuming I'd be an idiot if I didn't rent one? 2WD a big mistake?

If you rent early enough, prices aren’t that bad (even in Jackson). I just rented a full size SUV (Tahoe or similar) for 8 days in President’s week for $600 and change. Last year I got a Tahoe for less than $500 for a week that included MLK weekend.

I'll rent one tomorrow. I posted here before I made the reservation to make sure I got the right vehicle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWD ought to be sufficient. Drive accordingly. I've been skiing and driving to ski for 50 years and NEEDED 4wd almost never.
Considering that it is a rental car with rental car tires in an area that whiteouts are not uncommon and you might not see another car for hours? I'd err to 4WD, it's relatively cheap insurance.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
FWD ought to be sufficient. Drive accordingly. I've been skiing and driving to ski for 50 years and NEEDED 4wd almost never.

I will counter this experience with a number of instances where on the very days I want to ski the most, I have found 4WD indispensible. Opportunity cost. It's all about your trip plan, though. If you just need to get between cities/resorts and are staying within ski in-out/walking distance of the slopes, you'll be golden on pow days. For instance if you're staying in Teton Village, you're fine no matter what (unless you want to get to Targhee). Honestly probably fine staying in Jackson as well, as the drive isn't really hilly at all between Jackson and JHMR. Places where I've found 4WD 100% necessary are places where I stay a bit remote from the ski area and the approach is sketchy in bad weather (Big Sky/Bridger staying in Bozeman, Cottonwoods staying in SLC, SSV/LL staying in Banff, Summit County if not staying AT the resort you're skiing that day, etc).

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
You won't get a rental with winter tires, and the major rental companies won't guarantee AWD. Most rental SUVs are AWD, but last winter I got stuck with the only RWD Forerunner I've ever seen. Sometimes the off brand local rentals promise AWD, but what would you do if they stuck you with something else?

OTOH you won't need AWD in either Jackson or Big Sky, not even for the Jackson/Targhee trip. The roads around those places are all flat and well cleared. I've never driven between Big Sky and Jackson. It's only a few hours, so worst case is you sit out a day of bad weather. There's probably less risk than if you were to fly between the two.

If you avoid the high passes, winter driving is way easier in the West than in Vermont.

dm

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You might see what Autoslash.com can do for you. I’ve used it several times and it has always saved me money. They search for all sorts of discount codes based on what you enter (for example, AAA, Costco membership, or the kind of credit card(s) you have), then get back to you within 30 minutes with different available rates. Once you book a reservation you have the option of having them continue to search if the price drops so you can rebook.

Have you thought of flying in/out of Bozeman, then taking the 4WD to Jackson and back?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Have you thought of flying in/out of Bozeman, then taking the 4WD to Jackson and back?
That would probably be my choice, unless a local warned me off it. Bozeman/Jackson looks way easier than Montrose/Telluride, or even my house to Mad River Glen by Appalachian Gap.

dm

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for all of the advice. I've already had to re-book my flights once and paid a fee to do it so I'd like to avoid another one.

I'm staying at the 49er in Jackson and taking the bus to Teton Village each day so I'm not planning to drive back and forth to JHMR. The driving will be from Jackson airport to the 49er and from there to the base area of Big Sky. I'm staying slopeside so no driving while I'm there. Then I'm driving from Big Sky to the airport in Bozeman.

I haven't reviewed the route I'm driving yet but I believe it involves driving past Grand Targhee. I quick look at Google maps says it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive. I'm taking Saturday as a rest/travel day so I won't be in a rush to get there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheArchitect ... Alamo seems to be running some deals out west right now. I just reserved a full size SUV for the week of the Gathering for $260 total from Bozeman. Jackson looks to be almost as cheap right now. I'm seeing a full sized SUV from, say, Saturday to Wednesday for under $200 (assuming you return it to Jackson for your flight back... one way rentals tend to be a lot more).

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for all of the advice. I've already had to re-book my flights once and paid a fee to do it so I'd like to avoid another one.

I'm staying at the 49er in Jackson and taking the bus to Teton Village each day so I'm not planning to drive back and forth to JHMR. The driving will be from Jackson airport to the 49er and from there to the base area of Big Sky. I'm staying slopeside so no driving while I'm there. Then I'm driving from Big Sky to the airport in Bozeman.

I haven't reviewed the route I'm driving yet but I believe it involves driving past Grand Targhee. I quick look at Google maps says it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive. I'm taking Saturday as a rest/travel day so I won't be in a rush to get there.

Driving past Grand Targhee means you're going up and over Teton Pass on your way out of town. It's a twisty mountain road with a lot of elevation change, but it's also a high-traffic route and (I assume(?)) maintained accordingly. I've only driven it once, en route from Jackson to Grand Targhee (and then home to Red Lodge) last Christmas, but I did get to wait an hour or so for avy control work. The drive from Grand Targhee through West Yellowstone and to Big Sky got a bit interesting at times given that we hit weather, impacting both visibility and road conditions. I was feeling like a pretty competent winter driver doing 45-50 MPH on wall-to-wall packed snow until I got caught by a guy in Super Duty who disappeared in all of 25 seconds after I pulled over to let him by, so I'd expect that you may find a rental with crap tires to be interesting in certain weather conditions. Jackson -> Big Sky isn't a bad drive, though; Jackson -> ski at Grand Targhee -> drive through Big Sky and continue to Red Lodge made for a long day.

Be aware that the road from Big Sky to Bozeman is curvy and subject to slippery patches; if you're trying to make a flight, make sure you leave wiggle room both in case you encounter slippery conditions and in case someone else screws up and blocks the roadway.

The other winter route from Jackson to Montana (Togwotee Pass, through the Wind River Range, and then north) makes zero sense if headed to Bozeman.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@TheArchitect ... Alamo seems to be running some deals out west right now. I just reserved a full size SUV for the week of the Gathering for $260 total from Bozeman. Jackson looks to be almost as cheap right now. I'm seeing a full sized SUV from, say, Saturday to Wednesday for under $200 (assuming you return it to Jackson for your flight back... one way rentals tend to be a lot more).

It's a one-way rental (unfortunate for my wallet). Fly into Jackson and then fly out of Bozeman.

Driving past Grand Targhee means you're going up and over Teton Pass on your way out of town. It's a twisty mountain road with a lot of elevation change, but it's also a high-traffic route and (I assume(?)) maintained accordingly. I've only driven it once, en route from Jackson to Grand Targhee (and then home to Red Lodge) last Christmas, but I did get to wait an hour or so for avy control work. The drive from Grand Targhee through West Yellowstone and to Big Sky got a bit interesting at times given that we hit weather, impacting both visibility and road conditions. I was feeling like a pretty competent winter driver doing 45-50 MPH on wall-to-wall packed snow until I got caught by a guy in Super Duty who disappeared in all of 25 seconds after I pulled over to let him by, so I'd expect that you may find a rental with crap tires to be interesting in certain weather conditions. Jackson -> Big Sky isn't a bad drive, though; Jackson -> ski at Grand Targhee -> drive through Big Sky and continue to Red Lodge made for a long day.

Be aware that the road from Big Sky to Bozeman is curvy and subject to slippery patches; if you're trying to make a flight, make sure you leave wiggle room both in case you encounter slippery conditions and in case someone else screws up and blocks the roadway.

The other winter route from Jackson to Montana (Togwotee Pass, through the Wind River Range, and then north) makes zero sense if headed to Bozeman.

Excellent to know. I have all day to get from Jackson to Big Sky so I'll look at my route options. I'll be getting an SUV regardless.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I'm staying at the 49er in Jackson and taking the bus to Teton Village each day so I'm not planning to drive back and forth to JHMR.
Unless someone else gets your keys, you'll drive up to the village the second day. It's just easier.

dm

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Excellent to know. I have all day to get from Jackson to Big Sky so I'll look at my route options. I'll be getting an SUV regardless.
Skiing Targhee on the way to Big Sky is totally doable. Leave Targhee by 1 pm and you won't have to drive in the dark. I think the worst part of the drive is behind you when you get to Targhee.

As always, check with locals before you take my tourist advice.

dm

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Having done this drive countless times, I agree with everything stated. Targhee is a half hour side trip, and well worth a short day's skiing IMO. But.....if you're in need of a day off, you aren't missing THAT much, either.

These days, if Teton Pass wasn't kept open and in good shape, JHMR would have a tough time operating, because half the workforce lives on the Idaho side, and would be late for work if they had to drive the long way around.

Very different from "the good old days" when the pass could and would close for a few days at a time!

Sponsor