• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renting a vehicle for Jackson to Big Sky trip

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How about inviting @Near Nyquist to ski with you in Jackson and then drive together to Big Sky? He has an F150 with snow tires.

Why aren't you the matchmaker!

"Never" and "always" often provide a clue we've assumed too much. I actually may know a guy... The story about the mystery critters is by itself worth the cost of a bedroom. Sure...you'd want to be certain you hadn't hitched a ride with Randy Quaid.

For all I know you ARE Randy Quaid. After all, we've discovered that Dave Marshak is actually a front account to draw interest away from Near Nyquist, who's actually Dean Cameron! The things you discover when asking about snow tires... ogwink

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For the time being I've reserved a Hyundai Sante Fe, which will either be FWD or AWD. Thanks for the heads up @debostedo

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You read my mind, King Grump. Near Nyquist was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Just replace every mention of "Dean Cameron" in this clip with Near Nyquist

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I rented a FWD Kia Sorento in Jackson a couple of years ago and drove to Sun Valley and then SLC. It was snowing when I drove over Teton Pass. It did OK. All wheel/four wheel drive would have been better. I rented from Avis. As a retiree of United Technologies, I still get their affinity deal, which sometimes get me a really good price.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The trip is in 2 weeks so I called Alamo to ask about AWD. They said that for one-way trips the manager has to authorize giving an AWD rental and if they don't have a lot available I won't get one. I understand that they need to protect their local fleet but I'm still really annoyed. Anyway, it's a longer trip but if I need to I'm wondering about avoiding the Teton Pass and driving south down 191 to 89/26 and basically going around the pass (assuming it's snowing on my travel day). I have no idea if that route is better than the Teton Pass, though. Anyone driven in/out of Jackson from the south? Is it an easier option with a FWD?

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The trip is in 2 weeks so I called Alamo to ask about AWD. They said that for one-way trips the manager has to authorize giving an AWD rental and if they don't have a lot available I won't get one. I understand that they need to protect their local fleet but I'm still really annoyed. Anyway, it's a longer trip but if I need to I'm wondering about avoiding the Teton Pass and driving south down 191 to 89/26 and basically going around the pass (assuming it's snowing on my travel day). I have no idea if that route is better than the Teton Pass, though. Anyone driven in/out of Jackson from the south? Is it an easier option with a FWD?
I have driven that way when the pass is somewhat questionable. Definately easier, for visibility if nothing else.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have driven that way when the pass is somewhat questionable. Definately easier, for visibility if nothing else.

Good to know. I guess I won't sweat it if they won't give me a AWD. Thanks!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Did you try other rental companies, or are you locked into Alamo?

As far as Teton Pass goes, the southern alternative is easier, but they keep the pass in really good shape these days. If they didn't, half the Jackson workforce couldn't get to work!

But it also puts you onto a much more travelled highway (20?) sooner, which is better than driving through the potato country north of Tetonia during a storm. This is a deceptive area. No mountains, but when it blows, you can't see much at all, and drifting is in full force. The farmers actually plow a "road" of sorts in their fields to the west of the real road, to act as a sort of snow fence.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

As far as Teton Pass goes, the southern alternative is easier, but they keep the pass in really good shape these days. If they didn't, half the Jackson workforce couldn't get to work!

But it also puts you onto a much more travelled highway (20?) sooner, which is better than driving through the potato country north of Tetonia during a storm. This is a deceptive area. No mountains, but when it blows, you can't see much at all, and drifting is in full force. The farmers actually plow a "road" of sorts in their fields to the west of the real road, to act as a sort of snow fence.

I'm locked in to Alamo at this point. As for the route, it's good to know the visibility is an issue that way. With luck I can take the Teton Pass but I'll make the call once I know the weather on my travel day.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Pursue best deal you can get on 4wd, but Maybe you could also reserve a cheap economy car as a backup in case its dry during your week. also consider buying chains for $50 and use in case needed then return or trash. Never mind, sounds like you've already got your deal.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What about renting through Turo?

https://turo.com/

Never heard of it but will look. Thanks.
EDIT: I'm driving one-way from Jackson to Big Sky then flying out of Bozeman. I don't think this is an option.

Pursue best deal you can get on 4wd, but Maybe you could also reserve a cheap economy car as a backup in case its dry during your week. also consider buying chains for $50 and use in case needed then return or trash. Never mind, sounds like you've already got your deal.

I asked Alamo about chains and was told they're not allowed. People don't know how to install them so the cars get damaged. I've never used them so it's a possibility I'd screw it up.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

True for prior years, however, this thinking led to mishaps so as a result WYDOT has changed their approach. This year, storms of meaningful size have closed the pass for plowing and AV control. As a result the Jackson workforce (as well as skiers such as myself) haven't been able to get into Jackson from the Teton Valley on mornings of medium to big days.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Lorenzzo you beat me to it but I was just going to chime in to say the pass has been closed a lot. I know this bc we have a finished ish basement and friends who live in Driggs & Victor tend to sleep on our floor. In all seriousness, we traded our car this year not only bc the old one was ancient but bc I hated driving around here without 4wd. The roads right now are a combo of packed snow, rutted out mess, ice (there's one street in town that's a sheet of ice, and other "streets" people are just using for xc skiing). Since rental cars are kind of hard to come by, if Alamo can't get you awd / 4wd I bet you could wiggle out of your reservation once you get here. Dollar (in town) has a fleet of 4runners and they show up online as being sold out but if you walk in they often they have cars. Not crazy $$$ too. There's also this place called Leisure Sports which rents 4wd cheap but not sure how they'd handle the one way, there might a creative solution though. Also, lots of people do the Jackson / BIg sky drive, once you get here, just be chatty and ask around, you might get a ride. Last year my mom was doing that trip and I didn't know how to get her there and didn't want her driving herself, she ended up getting a ride from a Teton Science School van going to study wolves in Yellowstone. Upside to all of this is that the skiing is pretty fun at the moment...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
True for prior years, however, this thinking led to mishaps so as a result WYDOT has changed their approach. This year, storms of meaningful size have closed the pass for plowing and AV control. As a result the Jackson workforce (as well as skiers such as myself) haven't been able to get into Jackson from the Teton Valley on mornings of medium to big days.

@Lorenzzo you beat me to it but I was just going to chime in to say the pass has been closed a lot. .

Damn. Seems like a step or two backwards!

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Lorenzzo you beat me to it but I was just going to chime in to say the pass has been closed a lot. I know this bc we have a finished ish basement and friends who live in Driggs & Victor tend to sleep on our floor. In all seriousness, we traded our car this year not only bc the old one was ancient but bc I hated driving around here without 4wd. The roads right now are a combo of packed snow, rutted out mess, ice (there's one street in town that's a sheet of ice, and other "streets" people are just using for xc skiing). Since rental cars are kind of hard to come by, if Alamo can't get you awd / 4wd I bet you could wiggle out of your reservation once you get here. Dollar (in town) has a fleet of 4runners and they show up online as being sold out but if you walk in they often they have cars. Not crazy $$$ too. There's also this place called Leisure Sports which rents 4wd cheap but not sure how they'd handle the one way, there might a creative solution though. Also, lots of people do the Jackson / BIg sky drive, once you get here, just be chatty and ask around, you might get a ride. Last year my mom was doing that trip and I didn't know how to get her there and didn't want her driving herself, she ended up getting a ride from a Teton Science School van going to study wolves in Yellowstone. Upside to all of this is that the skiing is pretty fun at the moment...

I need a rental to get me from Big Sky to Bozeman airport so while it's not a bad idea to find a ride I think it's better to have a rental. When I first made the reservation months ago I checked out Dollar in town and they didn't have one-way options (it was the location a couple of blocks from the 49er, where I'm staying). I checked just now and the only one-way option was to the Jackson airport.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@TheArchitect: for one way rentals, look into Enterprise. To my surprise and delight, I was able to rent a huge pickup truck in Denver on a Friday, drive to Jackson, and leave it at Jackson airport (on the following Tuesday). All for $336! The truck fit right in with the Jackson crowd. Except for the Connecticut plates.

Sponsor

Staff online