• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renting a vehicle for Jackson to Big Sky trip

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless someone else gets your keys, you'll drive up to the village the second day. It's just easier.

dm

Interesting. Does JH have anything resembling a day lodge like we have back east? I'm not a fan of changing and booting up at the car.

BTW, your avatar always makes me laugh a little. I loved those 80's ski movies he was in.

Skiing Targhee on the way to Big Sky is totally doable. Leave Targhee by 1 pm and you won't have to drive in the dark. I think the worst part of the drive is behind you when you get to Targhee.

As always, check with locals before you take my tourist advice.

dm

Targhee is tempting; It was on the itinerary before I changed the vacation plans to include Big Sky. I'm guessing I'll need a rest day but I'm going to keep the idea open.

Having done this drive countless times, I agree with everything stated. Targhee is a half hour side trip, and well worth a short day's skiing IMO. But.....if you're in need of a day off, you aren't missing THAT much, either.

These days, if Teton Pass wasn't kept open and in good shape, JHMR would have a tough time operating, because half the workforce lives on the Idaho side, and would be late for work if they had to drive the long way around.

Very different from "the good old days" when the pass could and would close for a few days at a time!

Nice to hear they work to keep it open and in good shape.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unless someone else gets your keys, you'll drive up to the village the second day. It's just easier.

dm
I strongly disagree. The 49er is part of the townsquare group (of 4 motels) and they have their own bus. When we were there, we had a car and we only used it to go to dinner. If you drive, you usually wind up taking a bus from the back of the parking lot anyway.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Does JH have anything resembling a day lodge like we have back east? I'm not a fan of changing and booting up at the car.
No real day lodge. There are outside but under cover benches with lockers. I always just stashed my shoes under the bench.
(I changed there because during the Gathering I knew there would be après-ski going on. When I went by myself I just booted up in the motel room and hopped on the bus.)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have you considerd what it would cost to have somone Uber/shuttle you back and forth? Maybe $100-150 each way?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Does JH have anything resembling a day lodge like we have back east? I'm not a fan of changing and booting up at the car.

BTW, your avatar always makes me laugh a little. I loved those 80's ski movies he was in.

We changed our shoes in a small cafeteria just downhill from the gondola, and stashed our bags under the benches. Most people follow the barbaric Western practice of booting up in their cars.

You are the first one to recognize my avatar, I used to be famous, so it's a little dissappointing.
Targhee is tempting; It was on the itinerary before I changed the vacation plans to include Big Sky. I'm guessing I'll need a rest day but I'm going to keep the idea open.
Targhee is great low pitch powder opportunity if the weather is right. Don't rule it out.

dm

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You are the first one to recognize my avatar, I used to be famous, so it's a little dissappointing.

dm

Hold on! Are you saying you're the actor Dean Cameron who played Marshak? I had to look up the actor ogsmile Ski School is a classic.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Barbaric practice of booting up at your car? How is that only a Western thing?

Looked up Dean Cameron, and what he looks like currently. Hmmm....I think maybe 2/3 of pugski skiers look just like him anyway, well at least the dudes.

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
Barbaric practice of booting up at your car? How is that only a Western thing?
You never see much of that in the East. You never see anyone in boots at dinner, the way you do in Breckenridge.

dm

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a one-way rental (unfortunate for my wallet). Fly into Jackson and then fly out of Bozeman.

Well the Alamo deals one-way don't look too terrible either... looks like $436 for any size SUV, Saturday to Wednesday (not sure when you're actually travelling). You might want to look into it - these are cancellable too if you find something better.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there's a really simple solution here. Find someone in the Jackson area who has AWD/4WD, snow tires and experience driving through storms in the areas through which you'll need to travel. Invite them to join you in Big Sky, take them to the finest restaurants, give them and their gf their own bedroom, lift tickets and hang on their every word as they share stories of their ski-related experiences including close calls and near misses on the roads you'd need to take between JH, GT and BS with moose, elk, cars and trees. In fact last year that sort of person had a near miss with a herd of something in the middle of the road during a blinding storm 50 miles from BS. They thought they were Carribou but Wikipedia said probably not.

Anyways...just a suggestion.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looked up Dean Cameron, and what he looks like currently. Hmmm....I think maybe 2/3 of pugski skiers look just like him anyway, well at least the dudes.

Dean is actually the public persona of our very own @Near Nyquist .
Dean Cameron.jpg
Near Nyquist_LR.jpg

You tell me. :huh:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Them PVC cement are really good stuff. Cheap too.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a car rental place right across the street from the 49er. Save yourself some $ and don't rent a vehicle until you are ready to leave JH. Getting to and from the hill is easy on the bus. Easier, I think, than parking at the resort. When I stayed there I was booting up at the hotel and après ski beer at the Mangy Moose were in my boots.

Go to Bubba's for awesome St Louis style ribs...practically next door to 49er.

I used to rent economy cars out of Denver that had snow tires but that was over a decade ago.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well the Alamo deals one-way don't look too terrible either... looks like $436 for any size SUV, Saturday to Wednesday (not sure when you're actually travelling). You might want to look into it - these are cancellable too if you find something better.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

I think there's a really simple solution here. Find someone in the Jackson area who has AWD/4WD, snow tires and experience driving through storms in the areas through which you'll need to travel. Invite them to join you in Big Sky, take them to the finest restaurants, give them and their gf their own bedroom, lift tickets and hang on their every word as they share stories of their ski-related experiences including close calls and near misses on the roads you'd need to take between JH, GT and BS with moose, elk, cars and trees. In fact last year that sort of person had a near miss with a herd of something in the middle of the road during a blinding storm 50 miles from BS. They thought they were Carribou but Wikipedia said probably not.

Anyways...just a suggestion.

That WAS my first thought but then I realized I'd never find anyone who fit that description. Bummer!

Dean is actually the public persona of our very own @Near Nyquist .
View attachment 52265 View attachment 52266

You tell me. :huh:

The plot thickens...

There is a car rental place right across the street from the 49er. Save yourself some $ and don't rent a vehicle until you are ready to leave JH. Getting to and from the hill is easy on the bus. Easier, I think, than parking at the resort. When I stayed there I was booting up at the hotel and après ski beer at the Mangy Moose were in my boots.

Go to Bubba's for awesome St Louis style ribs...practically next door to 49er.

I used to rent economy cars out of Denver that had snow tires but that was over a decade ago.

There were two I tried in that area but the website said they didn't have any one-way rental options.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about inviting @Near Nyquist to ski with you in Jackson and then drive together to Big Sky? He has an F150 with snow tires.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That WAS my first thought but then I realized I'd never find anyone who fit that description. Bummer!

"Never" and "always" often provide a clue we've assumed too much. I actually may know a guy... The story about the mystery critters is by itself worth the cost of a bedroom. Sure...you'd want to be certain you hadn't hitched a ride with Randy Quaid.

Sponsor

Staff online