• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations for wife for skiing in MT

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Montana wives can work out great, speaking from experience. You had best behave though; mine is a much better shot than me.

Same experience. I went with a "compact" 5'2" Butte model. No regrets. :)

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So she has a compact b..... uh, forget it.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
So should we be looking at a length around 154-157 for her? Again she is 5'2 125 lbs. intermediate skier just getting into off piste trails.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So should we be looking at a length around 154-157 for her? Again she is 5'2 125 lbs. intermediate skier just getting into off piste trails.
A good start, I wouldn't go shorter.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That seems about right. I skied a 152 Cham with a ton of tip rocker at that phase and replaced it pretty quickly after growing out of it. Generally, I think a 10cm jump at a time keeps things manageable, maybe a tad more since the skis she's coming from don't have much rocker to them.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

^^^ This describes my wife too
She skis on an older Kastle LX82 156cm and does well on this traditional shaped ski.
Though she is a passive skier and does not drive them.

I was at my local shop this week looking at the women's selection for a western ski for my wife, and the sales was advising me to consider the Mindbender 88ti 163. I liked the shape of the MB 88ti , but is 163 too long ? I'm thinking of total weight and swing-weight might be a bit much for her.

Last edited:

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd definitely be looking for something that can ski well on the groomers, but work well off piste as well. I'm really wanting to get in North Bowl for instance. If the wife doesn't dig it, but can take the North Bowl road while the kids and I ski the bowl.
I am the exact same stats as your wife and I am also an intermediate skier once I get off piste. I don't get much opportunity to practice that. I demoed some Stockli Stormrider 85ws at Taos and I like them so much that I bought a pair as soon as I got home. They worked great in bumps, on groomers, and in about 6 inches of soft snow. I usually ski a length between 157 and 163. I liked the 161s but feel pretty sure that I would also have liked the 154. It is the most versatile ski I have ever skied and it's smooth like a BMW!

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am the exact same stats as your wife and I am also an intermediate skier once I get off piste. I don't get much opportunity to practice that. I demoed some Stockli Stormrider 85ws at Taos and I like them so much that I bought a pair as soon as I got home. They worked great in bumps, on groomers, and in about 6 inches of soft snow. I usually ski a length between 157 and 163. I liked the 161s but feel pretty sure that I would also have liked the 154. It is the most versatile ski I have ever skied and it's smooth like a BMW!

She has so many skis to try now! This is going to be fun. I'm going to demo for a day as well, likely at Bridger Bowl since it's so easy to get back to the base and back up the hill.

My list for her to demo is as follows:

Sheva 9
Black Pearl 82/88 (width dependent on conditions)
Astral
Rosi E84
Storm 85w

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
But then I'll need to buy her a pair and they're way more expensive! :roflmao:
Yes. It was love at first turn! Luckily ski essentials has their Demos on sale right now . They described mine as 8-9 but I can’t see a flaw. They were a scream in’ deak!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But then I'll need to buy her a pair and they're way more expensive! :roflmao:

Just focus on how happy she will be when she buys a pair. More important - think about the benefit (side effect?) from all that happiness (from you end).

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just focus on how happy she will be when she buys a pair. More important - think about the benefit (side effect?) from all that happiness (from you end).

You'll have to explain what this means to my wife so she can get on board...

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Put it this way, I sold my Nordica’s Hells Belles and I’m selling my beloved Volkl 90 eight. So, this could save you money in the long run. But, yeah, blame @KingGrump ’s wife. She’s the one who convinced me to try them. I should add though, it’s a huge plus in my marriage that Bob always says yes! ;)

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hah! Like skiing with 6 year olds who are really good. They can hockey stop in a goat path and go right under low branches. No chance keeping up.

...until they stop suddenly, in a blind spot, and you come around the corner on adult-sized skis, with adult-sized momentum and find a pile of small children in your way.

(I coached nine-year-olds for one year, and I lost track of how many times that nearly happened to me...if I backed off further so I had more space, I'd loose sight of the middle of the group, which was problematic if the goat path split; if I stayed tight, invariably someone would stop around a corner and I'd come rolling in to find five kids in my way and start looking for. the least-painful way to avoid them).

Re: Red Lodge, the on-mountain shop doesn't have a ton of inventory, but I believe they do carry some good stuff in the demo fleet. It's probably worth calling ahead (and yes, I'd call, not email) and seeing what the options are. The folks who were working there when I was in town were all helpful folks, and I don't think that's changed. If Palisades is open, there are some widely spaced, lower-angle trees down there that might be just the thing; Cole Creek has a lot of very cool, ungroomed terrain as well, but I don't know that your wife would find it all that friendly (the easiest way out should still be plenty doable, though, and it's worth going up there at least once for the views).

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Re: Red Lodge, the on-mountain shop doesn't have a ton of inventory, but I believe they do carry some good stuff in the demo fleet. It's probably worth calling ahead (and yes, I'd call, not email) and seeing what the options are. The folks who were working there when I was in town were all helpful folks, and I don't think that's changed. If Palisades is open, there are some widely spaced, lower-angle trees down there that might be just the thing; Cole Creek has a lot of very cool, ungroomed terrain as well, but I don't know that your wife would find it all that friendly (the easiest way out should still be plenty doable, though, and it's worth going up there at least once for the views).

I've been watching the Red Lodge conditions pretty closely. Palisades has been open for quite a while and they had an absolute ton of snow in Feb.

I'll call ahead and check into the demo stuff. That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

James

Out There
Instructor
“Recommendations for wife for skiing in MT”
You ever find a wife to ski with in MT?

Sponsor