• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations for wife for skiing in MT

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'd try for a wife in the 5 ft 8-10ish bracket who rips if you can. Handy with pepper spray in the case of bears a bonus

The lot of you need to look at the finer details before posting ... wife needs to come with a rentable skid.

I figured :huh:Montana :huh: and OP is obviously interested in one-stop shopping?

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@focker make sure to say hi to all the Midwesterners at Bridger. :) Employees and skiers.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@focker , my wife really enjoys her K2 Fullavit’s (95mm). They were discontinued last season, but rental shops might still have them.
They might be a very good choice, since they are (one of) the most powder specific shapes in that waist width: lot’s of taper and rocker. Making them very easy and forging in powder and bumps. At the same time, they have enough backbone to run through some crud without issue.
They are the women’s version of the Pinnacle 95ti.

97D31BE3-6AAD-450C-A28B-15DC447EFDB0.jpeg

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
F, you've gotten lots of recommendations, so this may be unnecessary, but... unless your wife is a strong technical skier, think about avoiding flat, square tails on whatever skis she demos. My wife HATED her Experience 84's -- the tail just locked her in too much. She likes her Volkl Yumi's MUCH better off-piste -- and everywhere else -- b/c the tails are rounder and have some taper.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
F, you've gotten lots of recommendations, so this may be unnecessary, but... unless your wife is a strong technical skier, think about avoiding flat, square tails on whatever skis she demos. My wife HATED her Experience 84's -- the tail just locked her in too much. She likes her Volkl Yumi's MUCH better off-piste -- and everywhere else -- b/c the tails are rounder and have some taper.

Yup, my wife's current skis have some tip and tail taper which she likes. She tends to smear her turns some even on the groomers and likes a playful, loose ski. I think when we get into more loose snow she'll like something a bit stiffer though.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup, my wife's current skis have some tip and tail taper which she likes. She tends to smear her turns some even on the groomers and likes a playful, loose ski. I think when we get into more loose snow she'll like something a bit stiffer though.

The Kore 93W I pulled from recommending would be on the stiffer and technical side of that. It takes skills to make that ski flow at slow speeds.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@focker , my wife really enjoys her K2 Fullavit’s (95mm). They were discontinued last season, but rental shops might still have them.
They might be a very good choice, since they are (one of) the most powder specific shapes in that waist width: lot’s of taper and rocker. Making them very easy and forging in powder and bumps. At the same time, they have enough backbone to run through some crud without issue.
They are the women’s version of the Pinnacle 95ti.

View attachment 91565
My wife has these and really likes them for softer days, not so much on groomers. They do ski short due to the rise at tip and tail. She used them at Big Sky last year during the gathering and had a wonderful time in the constant refills.

James

Out There
Instructor
I read the thread title as 'looking for a wife, for skiing in Montana'...

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
-
Bob Dylan, 1967, Woodstock, NY

Clouds so swift
Rain won't lift
Gate won't close
Railings froze
Get your mind of wintertime
You ain't goin' nowhere

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

I don't care
How many letters they sent
The morning came and morning went
Pack up your money
And pick up your tent
You ain't goin' nowhere

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

Buy me a flute
And a gun that shoots
Tailgates some substitutes
Strap yourself
To the tree with roots
You ain't goin' nowhere

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

Genghis Khan
He could not keep
All his kings
Supplied with sleep
We'll climb that hill no matter how steep
When we come up to it

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
My wife has these and really likes them for softer days, not so much on groomers. They do ski short due to the rise at tip and tail. She used them at Big Sky last year during the gathering and had a wonderful time in the constant refills.

I'd definitely be looking for something that can ski well on the groomers, but work well off piste as well. I'm really wanting to get in North Bowl for instance. If the wife doesn't dig it, but can take the North Bowl road while the kids and I ski the bowl.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd definitely be looking for something that can ski well on the groomers, but work well off piste as well. I'm really wanting to get in North Bowl for instance. If the wife doesn't dig it, but can take the North Bowl road while the kids and I ski the bowl.
Let me clarify...the ski does work well on groomers. My wife prefers a narrower ski due to a bum knee that starts getting sore tipping the wider ski. It'll carve fine, but not like a narrower ski specific to groomers.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me clarify...the ski does work well on groomers. My wife prefers a narrower ski due to a bum knee that starts getting sore tipping the wider ski. It'll carve fine, but not like a narrower ski specific to groomers.
Yep, that’s my experience too from seeing my wife.

My wife skis it here in MN as well, even though she has a narrower ski, which she actually l almost never uses. That’s because she too likes the loose and playful feeling.
That’s despite a bum knee (no MCL). Like yours, she smears all her turns, but the Fullavit can get up on edge just fine.
My wife also is a fair bit taller and heavier than yours, and although she doesn’t ski at very high speed, she is not at all timid, and skis the entire mountain on it, up to several of the double black runs at Snowbird, so I would have a hard time imagining it being to soft for your wife.

She also only brings that ski along on our trips out west.
It skis quite well on the groomers, I tried the Pinnacle Ti and agree, it doesn’t have the highest edge grip on ice, and it’s not the instant turn in of a slalom ski, but it is perfectly fun on the groomers.

But wouldn’t your wife use her current ski for icy hardpack, groomer only days, and rent the all mountain west type ski for the days with better conditions?

Last edited:
TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
But wouldn’t your wife use her current ski for icy hardpack, groomer only days, and rent the all mountain west type ski for the days with better conditions?

Most certainly. For a hardpack day she'd want her current skis. She skied very well on them when we were in Whitefish on a bluebird day.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
@focker I am putting my vote in for the Blizzard Sheeva 9 in the 157 (same as the Rustler 9). Manageable length in a super fun yet stable ski.

I ski my Sheeva 9 most days in New England and also brought them to Aspen and Big Sky last year - they were fabulous out there as well.

If you are looking for some lovely open glades at Big Sky take her on Pomp and Lizette off Ramcharger. Attached photo taken on one of these trails with the Sheeva 9 base glow on display!

Attachments

• 6FD1FB9B-B164-4D03-9EC6-653BFE044EE5.jpeg
    6FD1FB9B-B164-4D03-9EC6-653BFE044EE5.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 18

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
Focker,
Growing up in Bozeman, and now living closer to Red Lodge, I thought I'd give you a little information about ski shops in the 3 places you'll be skiing. For Red Lodge, I highly recommend The Ski Station in the town of Red Lodge. The area rental shop does list "high performance" demo skis, but I have no idea what the brands are. In Bozeman, I can highly recommend Ph.D Ski (ask for Kevin, and let him know Simpson sent you), and Chalet Sports. They are both on Main St. with the Chalet being downtown, right across from The Baxter Hotel, and Ph.D on the west end of Main, right past a Perkins restaurant. The shop at Bridger has great brands, but it's generally busy as hell on the weekends! At Big Sky, I highly recommend Lone Mountain Sports in the Arrowhead Mall directly behind the main lodge. In fact, I'd also park in the lot that separates the two. They have all the best stuff and keep them tuned! In addition, the coldest beer and great food are located directly above the ski shop accessible by elevator! It's called Scissorbills. Lastly, the North Bowl is mostly a mogul field these days. If that's what you're after, great. If you want a chance for some softer snow, Schlasman's chair is your best bet. If so, rent a transceiver where you get your demo skis.
Have a great time!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You Ain't Goin' Nowhere
-
Bob Dylan, 1967, Woodstock, NY

Clouds so swift
Rain won't lift
Gate won't close
Railings froze
Get your mind of wintertime
You ain't goin' nowhere

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

I don't care
How many letters they sent
The morning came and morning went
Pack up your money
And pick up your tent
You ain't goin' nowhere

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

Buy me a flute
And a gun that shoots
Tailgates some substitutes
Strap yourself
To the tree with roots
You ain't goin' nowhere

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

Genghis Khan
He could not keep
All his kings
Supplied with sleep
We'll climb that hill no matter how steep
When we come up to it

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair

Whoo-ee ride me high
Tomorrow's the day
My bride's gonna come
Oh, oh, are we gonna fly
Down in the easy chair
I love how every set of lyrics I've seen for this song are so different. My absolute fave . . .

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would like some wife-spaced trees to learn in, too . . .
Since I am a lot bigger than my wife, and not as good a skier, I would like some husband spaced trees.

Unfortunately, I have kids, so I get the opposite: kids ducking under the branches, and me, at 6’5” getting whacked in the face and chest.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Since I am a lot bigger than my wife, and not as good a skier, I would like some husband spaced trees.

Unfortunately, I have kids, so I get the opposite: kids ducking under the branches, and me, at 6’5” getting whacked in the face and chest.
I have the same problem with a spouse who's a better skier than I am - no kids, though. Getting smacked with things adds an extra dimension to skiing and I really don’t need anything else to think about while I’m out there.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hah! Like skiing with 6 year olds who are really good. They can hockey stop in a goat path and go right under low branches. No chance keeping up.

Sponsor

Staff online