• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recommendations for wife for skiing in MT

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
We're heading to MT to ski Red Lodge, Bridger and Big Sky in March. I'm bringing my wife's current skis but looks for recommendations on a skid size/shape to rent for her as well out there.

Info:

Wife is 5'2" 125. She's a good skier on groomers, but struggles some off piste due to lack of experience.

Current skis are K2 Superific 120/76/104 146cm length. 11 radius. She loves these skis and they do well in for her skiing in the midwest. They are very playful soft skis however and when we get into any type of crud she really struggles as the skis don't have much umph to power through any piles of snow. I'll bring these out west in case it's a hard pack day (especially at Red Lodge where I expect that and we'll likely be skiing groomers).

When we get in Bozeman I'd like to do a 2 day rental for her. Need ideas on size and width to look at. 155 length? 86 width? More rocker?

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Arguably, they are too short for her. Try a Black Pearl 88 in 153 (or 152?) in Bozeman.

I do agree that they are likely too short for her. They work fine on groomers but when she goes off piste that shortness really shows. I will check into Black Pearl availability out there. My son just got the Rustler 9's and he's loving them.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kind of depends - you mention that she struggles off piste, but it isn't really clear - is it the lack of experience or the skis? And how much time do you all (particularly your wife) want to spend off piste? Basically, are you looking for something with a little more off piste aptitude or something built for a lot of practice time off piste?

For the former, I totally second @Pequenita's rec for the Black Pearl 88. Huge sweet spot in terms of terrain and skier ability level. It's the most popular ski in America for a reason. The Volkl Yumi also definitely gives it a run for its money.

If she's really motivated to spend time there, Sheeva 9 or 10 or the Salomon Lux are great off-piste exploration tools. Nimble, but not so soft that the tips get deflected when the snow isn't prime.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Kind of depends - you mention that she struggles off piste, but it isn't really clear - is it the lack of experience or the skis? And how much time do you all (particularly your wife) want to spend off piste? Basically, are you looking for something with a little more off piste aptitude or something built for a lot of practice time off piste?

For the former, I totally second @Pequenita's rec for the Black Pearl 88. Huge sweet spot in terms of terrain and skier ability level. It's the most popular ski in America for a reason. The Volkl Yumi also definitely gives it a run for its money.

If she's really motivated to spend time there, Sheeva 9 or 10 or the Salomon Lux are great off-piste exploration tools. Nimble, but not so soft that the tips get deflected when the snow isn't prime.

She's skied on these K2's a ton. Here in MN we just don't get many opportunities to ski off piste. Very few years with enough snow to really get in the trees. When we get enough snow to form nice soft moguls she gets thrown around by them instead of her ski being stiff enough to push through them somewhat.

Out west I'd like to get her into some wife spaced trees just to get experience in them and realize how fun it can be to do some exploring and get off the groomed paths. Our kids both love the trees and ski them all they can. She'll likely want to pop in and out of the trees depending on how the conditions are.

I think the Black Pearls would work well for her.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm not sure shops will have these specific skis. Can I call ahead and reserve a particular ski if they have it?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Black Pearl 82 OR 88, Rossignol Experience 84 (don't confuse with the 88, the 84s are more forgiving) Nordica Astral 84, would be great options that won't kick her butt but will get her off the groomers without being intimidating. Head Total Joy would be another nice option. Be warned, you might end up buying her some new skis! ;) I love my Nordica Santa Ana 88s off piste as they have given me so much confidence there, but they might be a bit stiffer than what she'd like.

If there is a big powder dump, get her on a pair of Blizzard Sheeva 10s in a 164. I'm pretty sure she'll be grinning big time. They are a really fun, easy to turn ski that are forgiving enough that they aren't intimidating.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bridger has a great demo program, use it. Just don't have the snowboarder tech set you up with skis. :)

Good to know. Demoing in Bozeman really only leaves her with 1 ski choice...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure to call the ski shop. When I did it, I swapped out 3-4 pairs of skis. This was a few years ago now.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I read the thread title as 'looking for a wife, for skiing in Montana'... not a question about gear. I was going to give very different recommendations.

Luckily I have one of those already!!! Everything i easy after that lol...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What choice is that?
In all honesty, there are SO many great skis out there that it really comes down to dimensions and then finding one that "speaks to her". My recommendations came from the fact that she and I weigh the same (I am a few inches taller) and I have been getting off piste more and more in the past 3 seasons, and some skis do make that easier than others. I saw @cantunamunch recommend the Kore 93, and that was another favorite of mine last winter. They're actually 89 under foot in the shorter lengths.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
What choice is that?
In all honesty, there are SO many great skis out there that it really comes down to dimensions and then finding one that "speaks to her". My recommendations came from the fact that she and I weigh the same (I am a few inches taller) and I have been getting off piste more and more in the past 3 seasons, and some skis do make that easier than others. I saw @cantunamunch recommend the Kore 93, and that was another favorite of mine last winter. They're actually 89 under foot in the shorter lengths.

What I mean is if we pick a ski for her in Bozeman at a shop there we can't switch it out if we don't like that ski at Bridger Bowl. Demoing at the hill would be much easier.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What I mean is if we pick a ski for her in Bozeman at a shop there we can't switch it out if we don't like that ski at Bridger Bowl. Demoing at the hill would be much easier.
Oh, got it.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'd try for a wife in the 5 ft 8-10ish bracket who rips if you can. Handy with pepper spray in the case of bears a bonus

Doh - see someone has already made that observation

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
We're heading to MT to ski Red Lodge, Bridger and Big Sky in March. I'm bringing my wife's current skis but looks for recommendations on a skid size/shape to rent for her as well out there.

Info:

Wife is 5'2" 125. She's a good skier on groomers, but struggles some off piste due to lack of experience.

Current skis are K2 Superific 120/76/104 146cm length. 11 radius. She loves these skis and they do well in for her skiing in the midwest. They are very playful soft skis however and when we get into any type of crud she really struggles as the skis don't have much umph to power through any piles of snow. I'll bring these out west in case it's a hard pack day (especially at Red Lodge where I expect that and we'll likely be skiing groomers).

When we get in Bozeman I'd like to do a 2 day rental for her. Need ideas on size and width to look at. 155 length? 86 width? More rocker?

I would not recommend renting in town. Why not rent at the base of the mountain? That way she can swap between skis if she takes a few runs and doesn’t like what she’s on. Don’t know about Red Lodge, but Bridger and Big Sky have performance demo centers so you’re not stuck on one ski all day.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would not recommend renting in town. Why not rent at the base of the mountain? That way she can swap between skis if she takes a few runs and doesn’t like what she’s on. Don’t know about Red Lodge, but Bridger and Big Sky have performance demo centers so you’re not stuck on one ski all day.

Yup. One problem solved. I didn't realize that they did this at Bridger so this is a great option. The recommendations given in this thread will still come in very handy but we can also look at what the mountain conditions are when picking skis.

Can't wait...

Sponsor

Staff online